Am I the only one who doesn't care about program rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychbird

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like everyone is worried about getting into the top programs. I just want to get in!

Members don't see this ad.

don't worry about rankings, but also, you shouldn't just want to "get in." make sure you get into a program where you are doing the sort of research you want to be doing and where you can be happy. it is VERY important. if you don't, take a couple of years off to work in a research environment.

That's what I meant - I have a very decided research interest that I want to pursue in grad school, and I've been going by match alone, not by rank. But it seems like everyone is so worried about getting into a top tier school... I don't see the point in that. I suppose if you want an academic career, but even then it seems like more trouble than it's worth. I just hope to get a good quality job and have research opportunities when I emerge.

Members don't see this ad :)
good attitude. of course, there are lots of benefits to getting your graduate training at a "top tier" school, but if you work hard enough and are productive in grad school, it won't really matter where you came from.

I very much agree with these posts, although sometimes it does work out that the great matches with really exciting research interests that match your own are at the top places. I think you can get a great education and be very productive and competitive at any place, and you can slack off at a great school and miss out in your chance. It's more what you make of it.

joetro said:
I very much agree with these posts, although sometimes it does work out that the great matches with really exciting research interests that match your own are at the top places. I think you can get a great education and be very productive and competitive at any place, and you can slack off at a great school and miss out in your chance. It's more what you make of it.

Point well made joetro. I think it's also important to keep in mind that a person can go to a "top" school (or even a lower ranked school for that matter) and still have the cards stacked against him/her. If, for example, a student choses a "match" mentor that looks good on paper (e.g. prolific), one should keep in mind that perhaps this researcher may be less inclined to spend the time to personally invest in his/her students' future careers. The best defense is picking the brains of current mentors and grad students in order to find out which mentors will actually...well... mentor!
Good luck everyone!

i could care less about the reputation. some of the most pretigious schools have horrible psych departments, i prefer a close relationship with faculty and fields of study that are what i want to study.

i am staying away from big colleges.