Am I too far behind? Only beginning research my junior year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

didyouknow96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically, I feel very upset and worried about my choices in undergrad. I was considering going into OT for the past two years. I worked in a rehabilitation science lab for one semester my freshman year, but my friend passed away during that time so I was kind of out of it. Aside from putting RA on my resume, I have no publications or anything to show for that time. My sophomore year I didn't work in a lab, I worked at a rehab facility for people with dementia, alzheimer's, and parkinson's. Over the summer I worked as a teacher because I wanted to try that out, plus it paid really well and gave me free housing on campus. Now I'm realizing I really do want to go into academia and pursue a PhD in psychology; I have and have always had a strong interest in psychopathology. I've secured a position next semester working in a lab study social language in children with autism. I will definitely try to get a research position over the summer as well. Right now I am studying abroad and interning at an outpatient mental health facility. I feel so stupid for not pursuing more opportunities with labs in the past two years. Sigh.

Just wondering what point others were at their junior year of college, and if I will be qualified to apply for a paid research position after graduation.

Members don't see this ad.

Basically, I feel very upset and worried about my choices in undergrad. I was considering going into OT for the past two years. I worked in a rehabilitation science lab for one semester my freshman year, but my friend passed away during that time so I was kind of out of it. Aside from putting RA on my resume, I have no publications or anything to show for that time. My sophomore year I didn't work in a lab, I worked at a rehab facility for people with dementia, alzheimer's, and parkinson's. Over the summer I worked as a teacher because I wanted to try that out, plus it paid really well and gave me free housing on campus. Now I'm realizing I really do want to go into academia and pursue a PhD in psychology; I have and have always had a strong interest in psychopathology. I've secured a position next semester working in a lab study social language in children with autism. I will definitely try to get a research position over the summer as well. Right now I am studying abroad and interning at an outpatient mental health facility. I feel so stupid for not pursuing more opportunities with labs in the past two years. Sigh.

Just wondering what point others were at their junior year of college, and if I will be qualified to apply for a paid research position after graduation.
I transferred from a community college and did not join a research lab until junior year. It's fairly common. When you start, be proactive and pick up as many skills as you can, and try to give poster presentations at conferences in the time that you have. If you can get a publication, then that's even better.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using SDN mobile

I felt a lot of pressure because I switched to psychology in my junior year and many in my classes were applying. I ended up taking time off, finding a salaried position in the mental health sector (case management), and volunteered in a research lab.

I would definitely not rush and do it over again. I was used to working 40 hours a week plus putting in time as a volunteer in a lab, on a crisis line, and as a CASA. I also got a chance to see various mental health careers in action (e.g., psychiatrist, social worker, counselor) so I knew I was making an informed choice when I chose the PhD route.

Taking your time pays off!

(I’m in my second year now and had a baby in my first, btw). I definitely think saving up and gaining more research experience allowed me to get where I wanted to be!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't start my research experience until my junior year, which incidentally was also the year I declared a major in psychology. I worked in labs throughout my junior and senior years (plus summers) and worked as a paid RA for a year afterward. Dive right in, make yourself useful, and you'll be fine!

Reactions: 1 user