Am I too hard on myself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Onedayonegoal

Reaction score
UG.png

A couple of things I want to state :

1) I come for a low socio-economic background.
2) I’m a first-gen college student who’s parents do not speak English.
3) I’m non traditional (early 30s)
4) My freshman year and “post-bac” consisted of only 1 class. (My freshmen year was about 7 years after I withdrew from college straight out of high school, had to work and help support my direct family).
5) My post-bac is not a post bac, just a pre-med course I had to take after I graduated. It’s a non-degree UG course. (Physics 2)
6) My heaviest upper tier sciences were Junior/Senior year and the dip can 100% be explained (I got married). The graph above is only sGPA
7) I have both 200+ experiences of shadowing a doctor and doing non-medical volunteering in the community.
8) I have 3 semester of chemistry research in a topic that strengthened my passion to be a physician.
9) I got published doing this research.
10) I also won an award and got funded.
11) Still awaiting to take the MCATS which I plan on getting a 518+ based on my practice exams.
What are your thoughts on applying to MD ? I would also be applying to DO.
If I crush the MCATs and get great LoRs, do I have a chance at MD?
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Consult with the AAMC GPA/MCAT grid to see the percentage of students with your stats that got into a MD school.

With your GPA and a 510-513, 50% of students received an A

Take away is that the MCAT will play the largest role in determining whether you have a meaningful shot at an MD school

Focus on the MCAT and score well; you will leave many doors open

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m not sure an SMP is necessary if the OP has an otherwise strong/balanced app.

1. Take MCAT first. Aim for 510+
2. Do a SMP. Aim for 3.7+
SMP even with an upward trend? Freshman year was only 1 class (precalc) and sophomore was about 4 classes. The majority of my upper tier sciences were junior and senior year ( orgo 1&2, biochem 1&2 etc) and just graduated with a BA in Biology.

Consult with the AAMC GPA/MCAT grid to see the percentage of students with your stats that got into a MD school.

With your GPA and a 510-513, 50% of students received an A

Take away is that the MCAT will play the largest role in determining whether you have a meaningful shot at an MD school

Focus on the MCAT and score well; you will leave many doors open

Yes I’m aiming for a 518-520. I was the type of college student that studied a week before the exam. But I’m giving the MCATs 110% of my time now.

I’m not sure an SMP is necessary if the OP has an otherwise strong/balanced app.

I would say it is strong/balanced but that’s always subjective right ? I believe my ec’s are strong enough. Just need to crush my mcats.

SMP even with an upward trend? Freshman year was only 1 class (precalc) and sophomore was about 4 classes. The majority of my upper tier sciences were junior and senior year ( orgo 1&2, biochem 1&2 etc) and just graduated with a BA in Biology.
I think it depends on how high you’re aiming in terms of medical schools assuming you get a decent MCAT. If you’re aiming T20, an SMP might be necessary. If you’re aiming to get into an MD, that probably is more than good enough if everything else on your app is strong.

I think it depends on how high you’re aiming in terms of medical schools assuming you get a decent MCAT. If you’re aiming T20, an SMP might be necessary. If you’re aiming to get into an MD, that probably is more than good enough if everything else on your app is strong.

I just want to become a doctor and give back. Just aiming to get into an MD honestly.

In regards to your EC, do they look like check boxes or is there any substance to them? Do you have a strong narrative that not only ties into your calling for medicine but possibly your shadowing and activities? If everything meshes well that is what I consider strong but that’s just me.

Reactions: 1 user
In regards to your EC, do they look like check boxes or is there any substance to them? Do you have a strong narrative that not only ties into your calling for medicine but possibly your shadowing and activities? If everything meshes well that is what I consider strong but that’s just me.

I wouldn’t say my ec are just check boxes there to fill up space. They have given me substance and more reason to pursue this path.

Then there you have it. If you have a balanced application, an upward trend, and a strong MCAT, I don’t see why you shouldn’t apply. Just be sure to take the writing aspects of the application seriously. Nothing else matters if you can’t sell yourself properly. As a fellow non-trad, I wish you the best and a successful cycle

Then there you have it. If you have a balanced application, an upward trend, and a strong MCAT, I don’t see why you shouldn’t apply. Just be sure to take the writing aspects of the application seriously. Nothing else matters if you can’t sell yourself properly. As a fellow non-trad, I wish you the best and a successful cycle

Thank you so much, much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your post bac gpa is 3.0, a little light. It would not be high enough for admission if you were in a post bac with linkage to a school. Usually they want 3.5 or better. You overall GPA, although a rising trend, is also a little light and might get you screened by some schools. That said, with a decent MCAT, and broad application, you might be successful. There are no guarantees, lots of high stat applicants dont get admitted for a variety of reasons. Make sure you are as ready as you can be for the MCAT before you take it. Apply to your state med school. Good luck and best wishes!

1. Take MCAT first. Aim for 510+
2. Do a SMP. Aim for 3.7+
Agree 100%
OP, you have a inverted U-shaped trend. This is the opposite of what Adcoms want to see. It makes me worry that you won't be able to handle a rigorous med school curriculum.

You have a great JR year, a "meh" SR year, and a concerning poor post-bac so far. You should always be aceing a post-bac.

Beggars can't be choosy; You will need to consider DO schools.

Reactions: 5 users
As an American I would say you’re being too hard on yourself. The Korean-born parents would say you’re not being hard enough

Your post bac gpa is 3.0, a little light. It would not be high enough for admission if you were in a post bac with linkage to a school. Usually they want 3.5 or better. You overall GPA, although a rising trend, is also a little light and might get you screened by some schools. That said, with a decent MCAT, and broad application, you might be successful. There are no guarantees, lots of high stat applicants dont get admitted for a variety of reasons. Make sure you are as ready as you can be for the MCAT before you take it. Apply to your state med school. Good luck and best wishes!

my post bac isn’t really a post bac, it’s just an undergrad class that I took after graduating cause I needed it for premed req and wasn’t needed for my degree. It’s 1 class, physics 2 which I took when I was getting married.

Had to edit my OP to clarify a couple of things and be more transparent.

My comments still stand

I will take a bite here and state that you’re a pretty rough critic, everyone has a story and I believe mine will thoroughly explain with reason why it’s a “U-shape”. Regardless, I’ll take my MCAT and apply to both MD and DO, as one can’t really assess themselves without an MCAT grade realistically.

I will take a bite here and state that you’re a pretty rough critic, everyone has a story and I believe mine will thoroughly explain with reason why it’s a “U-shape”. Regardless, I’ll take my MCAT and apply to both MD and DO, as one can’t really assess themselves without an MCAT grade realistically.
good plan - crush that MCAT. when applying, go MD & DO, also throw some international schools in there (although other SDNers highly discourage this, i think it's a viable option for strong students who will succeed wherever they go. don't go international if you're looking to match competitive US specialties. but primary care? you'll be able to match) only you know if this is you

• Dislike
good plan - crush that MCAT. when applying, go MD & DO, also throw some international schools in there (although other SDNers highly discourage this, i think it's a viable option for strong students who will succeed wherever they go. don't go international if you're looking to match competitive US specialties. but primary care? you'll be able to match) only you know if this is you
Thank you for your positivity. I think international is out of question for me. I’ve always wanted to be a surgeon since I can remember myself (reasons are personal, family deaths), so that’s my goal and dream. And should I also mention that I lived out of my car for last two years of college?

HOLY CRAP ON THE LAST PART. wow. just wow. props to you for getting where you are today, getting married and all

agreed, if you're gunning for surgery, forget international for now

HOLY CRAP ON THE LAST PART. wow. just wow. props to you for getting where you are today, getting married and all

agreed, if you're gunning for surgery, forget international for now
Thank you! Yes I know, I get very emotional speaking of it lol but it’s my wife that helped me get out of that situation. She knew everything about me, we fell in love got married and now I live with her and we’re about to have a child together soon god willing. Should this be mentioned at all?

I think that’d make for a great overcoming adversity essay

I think that’d make for a great overcoming adversity essay
So I should write about my life story in my personal statement and how it further pushed me into wanting to become a physician, nothing is too personal right? I kind of want to lay it all out there so they know who I am as a person, not just a student.

Just be sure to keep it positive. If you make things too negative there’s a chance they could assume you have unresolved issues

if you had told us that you had a compelling story right from the start, I would have been far more positive and encouraging. I can only comment on the data that is presented in front of me.

Compelling stories are a major hook for medical school candidates. With a decent MCAT score, you will go far.

Do keep in touch and let us know what happens.

You need to post a solid MCAT official score.

You also need to do some networking with diversity/student services administrators, and you better be sure all your reference letters know you well enough they can talk about how you overcame hardship.

There are still no guarantees so DO schools must be in your plans.

my post bac isn’t really a post bac, it’s just an undergrad class that I took after graduating cause I needed it for premed req and wasn’t needed for my degree. It’s 1 class, physics 2 which I took when I was getting married.
I think the issue here is that, when you were taking only one class, you didn’t ace that class. Not sure how much that will matter, but it is noticeable.

Something to remember, it’s also physics and I’m sure med schools don’t care nearly as much about physics all that much. Besides, if the OP does well on the MCAT it becomes a moot point.