Am I too late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhonyguy04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to submit my primary application tommorrow, but I feel like maybe its too late, because the application will be verified in anywhere from mid-August to the first week of september, which is 4-6 weeks from now. Am I screwed, do I have to wait till next year??

These are my stats.

GPA:3.9 sGPA:4.0 did not have to retake any class.

MCAT: 10,11,13 -34M, I only took it once.

Volunteer in hospital for 250 hours

Worked in walgreens pharmacy for almost 2 years

VP of Publicity for Pre-med/bio society.

No research but I worked in chemistry lab.

tutored a whole semester.

Graduated already, so Ill be a year off. Is this bad. I am gonna shadow, volunteer, and possibly research in my year off.

Also went to a community college, but I think I proved myself by getting A's in my university and getting my MCAT scores.

What do you guys think???

These are my schools:
SUNY upstate
Vermont medical college
UMDNJ
New York Medical College
NYU

Please help me!!!

Members don't see this ad.

No, it's not too late to have a decent amount of consideration for your application. You have very nice numbers and a nice mix of school selectivity, but you need to add more to improve your chances. I'd suggest ten as a minimum, and many will suggest 20.

It looks like you won't have physician shadowing on your application, so it will be important for you to get that started and update schools about your involvement. If you could start very soon, you can incorporate your experience into your Secondary essays where possible. Plan on 8-40 hours for each of 2-3 types of physician. You could get this done very quickly as it need not be a sustained activity the way that clinical experience and community service should be. Otherwise, your plan for the glide year looks fine. Any employment is OK as long as you continue with the clinical experience via volunteerism, but a job in a lab or clinical environment would be great to have.

Incidentally, start writing your Secondary essays from prompts you'll find here on SDN in the school-specific threads, so in a month, you can return your completed Secondaries within a few days when they are formally offered.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you soo much stratego, but what do you mean by 10 and 20???

You listed five schools you'd like to apply to. I would expand the list to between ten to twenty total schools. There's no reason not to go ahead and submit your application with those schools, as you can add more schools later on after you've had some time to do research on which ones will suit you.

If you don't have a copy of the MSAR, see the School Selection spreadsheet stickied to the top of this forum, plug in your numbers, and see what schools are a match for your stats.

oh ok, but the thing is I have to pay my pre-health office 50 bucks for each school they send the letter to. so that would be like 500 bucks which i dont have. so that is why iam applying only to 6.

oh ok, but the thing is I have to pay my pre-health office 50 bucks for each school they send the letter to. so that would be like 500 bucks which i dont have. so that is why iam applying only to 6.

Only apply to schools that use AMCAS's Letter Service. That way you only have to pay it once when they send the letter to AMCAS.

50 bucks for each??!

Well, this year, your office only has to send one packet to AMCAS. ($50). AMCAS will then forward all your LORs...

There are some schools that you may have to individually send individually to.

I know that, but they still charge for each school 50 bucks, and I think is because they get charged for that service. Are they scamming me??

Jonathan Paramo

I know that, but they still charge for each school 50 bucks, and I think is because they get charged for that service. Are they scamming me??

Jonathan Paramo

Yes, they only have to upload your packet once, to one place. So if they are really doing that, I would have to have some serious words with the higher ups! Now, AMCAS charges you per school when you apply, so is it possible that's what you're thinking about?

Jonathan Paramo

Dear Jonathan Paramo,

Yes, you are being scammed - or are just being stupid. Either way, your school will upload your letters to AMCAS - they may ask $50 for this service. Note that many schools do not charge at all for this.

Then, you pick what schools you apply to through AMCAS, not through your school. In fact, your school won't even know where you apply unless you tell them, since they cannot access your AMCAS file.

Jonathan Paramo

Just tell them you are only applying to 1 school: "AMCAS." Then it's all in your hands.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just tell them you are only applying to 1 school: "AMCAS." Then it's all in your hands.

Yeah. I don't know, this whole thing sounds ridiculous haha. Doesn't even make sense.

well, I dont know wut to do. ur right, all they have to write is one letter. so why are they charging me for all the schools. luckily i got the fap, and i dont have to pay for the amcas applications. but the school does charge me. so i have no choice. i mean, i cant fight with them, they are the ones writing my letter.lol. wut should i do??

well, I dont know wut to do. ur right, all they have to write is one letter. so why are they charging me for all the schools. luckily i got the fap, and i dont have to pay for the amcas applications. but the school does charge me. so i have no choice. i mean, i cant fight with them, they are the ones writing my letter.lol. wut should i do??

I don't think I even understand why this is difficult. To me, it seems like you can tell them you are only applying to one school. Let's say GWU. So you tell them to send your letters to AMCAS, because that is how GWU will accept letters. So your school charges you, say $50 for submitting to AMCAS, and another $50 for GWU (why they would do this makes no sense to me).

But THEN, after having done this, you can login to your AMCAS online, and add more schools. Your undergrad institution does not need to do anything further - all the schools you add will get your letters from AMCAS, who already has your letters from the GWU situation.

In fact, your undergrad institution won't even know that you added schools. So, other than some (very few) schools that require specific letters and stuff to be sent from the office, this really shouldn't be much of an issue.

At least, this is how I see it - maybe I'm missing something?

No you aren't. This is easy peazy. Seriously apply to one school. Then add a bunch that use AMCAS's Letter Service. Your school seems grimy. lol

I don't think I even understand why this is difficult. To me, it seems like you can tell them you are only applying to one school. Let's say GWU. So you tell them to send your letters to AMCAS, because that is how GWU will accept letters. So your school charges you, say $50 for submitting to AMCAS, and another $50 for GWU (why they would do this makes no sense to me).

But THEN, after having done this, you can login to your AMCAS online, and add more schools. Your undergrad institution does not need to do anything further - all the schools you add will get your letters from AMCAS, who already has your letters from the GWU situation.

In fact, your undergrad institution won't even know that you added schools. So, other than some (very few) schools that require specific letters and stuff to be sent from the office, this really shouldn't be much of an issue.

OP, be slightly careful trying to follow this advice--your school may tailor the letter to G.W. "OP is perfect for GWU...OP would do well in D.C., etc." You don't want that line to go to every school.

So just to be safe, tell them you're applying to two schools--then they have to make the letter a generic one.

OP, be slightly careful trying to follow this advice--your school may tailor the letter to G.W. "OP is perfect for GWU...OP would do well in D.C., etc." You don't want that line to go to every school.

So just to be safe, tell them you're applying to two schools--then they have to make the letter a generic one.

Good call, I suppose that could happen - can't put anything past this school I suppose...

:laugh :laugh: im really curious what school this is lol, but you don't have to say it, for anonymity reasons.
haha ditto. what kind of evil school takes advantage of fap applicants?

can we agree to capitalized FAP? ... hmm even still it's naughty...

can we agree to capitalized FAP? ... hmm even still it's naughty...
for a spit second i actually considered capitalizing fap in that post.

close enough, right? haha i figured everyone would understand what i was talking about and i guess im right so far!

you're going to have to shield your eyes from my posts because i hardly ever capitalize.
edit: took out the pictures (1, 2) because they are too big.

lol, u guys are funny. but iam too scared to do this trick. iam afraid it might backfire on me. so i guess ill be a sucker and pay 300 for 6 schools.

btw, the school is Rutgers University, State University of New Jersey

lol, u guys are funny. but iam too scared to do this trick. iam afraid it might backfire on me. so i guess ill be a sucker and pay 300 for 6 schools.

It's a not a trick. That office, from the way you've described them, is busy acting like a giant douchenozzle to you.

Not applying to enough schools is going to backfire...

Also the Rutgers "Heath Professions Office" says this on their website:

Uploaded Letters of Recommendation: There is a flat $50.00 processing fee for releasing your letters to allopathic medical, osteopathic medical, dental, or optometry school. Therefore, whether you are applying to 1 or 30 schools, the fee remains $50.00 for each type of school. With a few exceptions, letters to these schools must be submitted electronically and require special preparation and equipment.

So if your only applying to Allopathic(MD) schools it should only be 50$

Rutgers does not have any such $50/school fee haha. Look into it again.

Not applying to enough schools is going to backfire...

Also the Rutgers "Heath Professions Office" says this on their website:

So if your only applying to Allopathic(MD) schools it should only be 50$

There you go, someone looked into it for you lol

can you please give the link for this. because it also depends on the campus. I go to the newark campus and it might be different.

should I talk to the dean about this?? because I dont know what to do. and that is the new brunswick campus after all....

I am about to submit my primary application tommorrow, but I feel like maybe its too late, because the application will be verified in anywhere from mid-August to the first week of september, which is 4-6 weeks from now. Am I screwed, do I have to wait till next year??

These are my stats.

GPA:3.9 sGPA:4.0 did not have to retake any class.

MCAT: 10,11,13 -34M, I only took it once.

Volunteer in hospital for 250 hours

Worked in walgreens pharmacy for almost 2 years

VP of Publicity for Pre-med/bio society.

No research but I worked in chemistry lab.

tutored a whole semester.

Graduated already, so Ill be a year off. Is this bad. I am gonna shadow, volunteer, and possibly research in my year off.

Also went to a community college, but I think I proved myself by getting A's in my university and getting my MCAT scores.

What do you guys think???

These are my schools:
SUNY upstate
Vermont medical college
UMDNJ
New York Medical College
NYU

Please help me!!!

The odds are good.

guys, I have a correction to make. my volunteer hours are 110 not 250. do I still have a chance??