-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Am I too old to get into Medicine?
Started by ariesuc1
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-old-is-too-old.611815/
That's a good thread to start. Also, do a search by clicking the magnifying glass at top of page. Search for "too old" or "career change". There are plenty of 30 year olds in medical school. So you're not too old. You just should do your homework to make sure you really want to go down the medical school road.
FWIW, I'm an incoming first year MD student and I'm 28. I worked in medical imaging for a while before I realized I wanted to continue and do medical school.
That's a good thread to start. Also, do a search by clicking the magnifying glass at top of page. Search for "too old" or "career change". There are plenty of 30 year olds in medical school. So you're not too old. You just should do your homework to make sure you really want to go down the medical school road.
FWIW, I'm an incoming first year MD student and I'm 28. I worked in medical imaging for a while before I realized I wanted to continue and do medical school.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Given that there are plenty of people 15 years older than you who have posed the same question on here and been told it's not too late, I think it's pretty obvious than 29 isn't old. But one caveat -- it's not so much about chronological age, it's about physical age. If you are 29 going on 50 -- the guy who is out of shape, winded, smoking, needs a nap, kind of guy, you might have more issues than the guy who is 50 going on 35, who is an athlete/hiker/biker etc. This road is challenging both physically and emotionally. Lots of endurance involved. You will be pushing the envelope in terms of sleep deprivation, may be running around to codes, etc. I definitely know a few 25 year olds that are too old.
No. If you are passionate about becoming a doctor, then just do it.
Some of my all-time best students have been in their 30s and 40s, so quit fussing.
Im 29. Research Associate at a hospital. I worry about my age and if I should bother.
<---30 and I have a kid
Plenty of people on here that are older than me. You are still in your twenties, yay! lol.
You're fine.
Plenty of people on here that are older than me. You are still in your twenties, yay! lol.
You're fine.
QofQuimica
Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
If I could vote you off the Nontrad forum for asking such a silly question, I totally would. 😛
Seriously, at 29, you're a kid. Welcome. Relax, check out the forum, and forget about your age. It's not going to be an issue.
Seriously, at 29, you're a kid. Welcome. Relax, check out the forum, and forget about your age. It's not going to be an issue.
I wis I was still in my twenties 🙁 ohhh the glory days....
I was hoping this was not another thread with some guy in his 20's thinking he's too old for medicine. Why am I not surprised.
OP I am 29 and still trying, if you are wondering.
OP I am 29 and still trying, if you are wondering.
No.
Regards,
43-year-old MSIII
Regards,
43-year-old MSIII
OP, Law2Doc hit the nail square: IF you're a "worn out" 29 year old who can't do X X X...then you MIGHT want to consider another profession. IF you don't or can't relate to younger people in their 20's, you're going to need to develop that tolerance to succeed in medicine.
Even if you have absolutely NO college at 29, if you "went for it"...FULL TIME, throttle wide open went or it, you could do everything in 10 to 13 years.
Here's some food for thought: Today I'm 45 years old. I have 28 years of work experience (outside medicine) I'm approximately 2 to 3 years away from starting med school. I'll be 52 entering the match/residency. My WORK experience alone is almost equal to your ENTIRE AGE....and I don't feel too old.
I'm extremely active, in great physical shape, interact very well with undergraduates at school (who are 25 years younger than me) and feel no different than I did when I was 20 myself. In fact I feel better because I have nearly 30 years life experience AND a great education. I'm just getting started. I plan on practicing medicine a long time. I have no worries about burnout.
Even if you have absolutely NO college at 29, if you "went for it"...FULL TIME, throttle wide open went or it, you could do everything in 10 to 13 years.
Here's some food for thought: Today I'm 45 years old. I have 28 years of work experience (outside medicine) I'm approximately 2 to 3 years away from starting med school. I'll be 52 entering the match/residency. My WORK experience alone is almost equal to your ENTIRE AGE....and I don't feel too old.
I'm extremely active, in great physical shape, interact very well with undergraduates at school (who are 25 years younger than me) and feel no different than I did when I was 20 myself. In fact I feel better because I have nearly 30 years life experience AND a great education. I'm just getting started. I plan on practicing medicine a long time. I have no worries about burnout.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OP, its an honest question that many non trads have. Its a relative topic for everyone, bc not everyone wants to be in med school and residency in their 30's. Everyone is different with different priorities in life.
Sure. At first it seems like 29 is so old. Chances are, you are comparing yourself to your "traditional" friends, who are at 29 now doctors, lawyers, & engineers with families and houses.
In my opinion, its never too late if you know this is what you want to pursue. Sure, you will have to make some sacrifices and experiences some delayed gratification. But only you know if this route is for you.
Sure. At first it seems like 29 is so old. Chances are, you are comparing yourself to your "traditional" friends, who are at 29 now doctors, lawyers, & engineers with families and houses.
In my opinion, its never too late if you know this is what you want to pursue. Sure, you will have to make some sacrifices and experiences some delayed gratification. But only you know if this route is for you.
D
deleted480308
mid 30's ms1 w/ 2 kids.....get to being a doc 🙂
Sure. At first it seems like 29 is so old. Chances are, you are comparing yourself to your "traditional" friends, who are at 29 now doctors, lawyers, & engineers with families and houses.
In my opinion, its never too late if you know this is what you want to pursue. Sure, you will have to make some sacrifices and experiences some delayed gratification. But only you know if this route is for you.
Thank you for that. This cycle has gotten me so anxious and scared (even if it's still early) that I'm getting more and more concerned with my age by the time I finally "make it in" to med school, and a big part of it really IS because my friends have been getting married/engaged/pregnant/etc lately. So thanks for that reminder 🙂 you hit it spot on.
No. Close the thread fam.
Thank you for that. This cycle has gotten me so anxious and scared (even if it's still early) that I'm getting more and more concerned with my age by the time I finally "make it in" to med school, and a big part of it really IS because my friends have been getting married/engaged/pregnant/etc lately. So thanks for that reminder 🙂 you hit it spot on.
This echos a lot of us. I feel the same way. I just turned 35 and all of my friends are financially established, married, new families, new cars, new houses, good careers...and I'm still drudging away in school like a 21-year old. It's emotionally annoying. But oh well, a few more years...or eight. Haha.
This is how I feel and I'm only 25. All my friends are thinking of marriage, have gotten their careers started and working their way up and I'm over here working an entry level clinical position making peanuts because I'm building my application for school. I'll be out of school in 5 years (assuming I'm accepted this cycle) plus another 4-5 of residency, by then my peers will be well on their way through their lives and will have started families. Kind of bothers me sometimes but nothing you can do if you realize what you want to do later in life. I also broke up with a long term relationship and left a 100k/year job to pursue medicine, I feel like I've given up so much, I just hope I can finally get in and get my life started. Maybe some nontrads just aren't meant for the family life haThis echos a lot of us. I feel the same way. I just turned 35 and all of my friends are financially established, married, new families, new cars, new houses, good careers...and I'm still drudging away in school like a 21-year old. It's emotionally annoying. But oh well, a few more years...or eight. Haha.
This is how I feel and I'm only 25. All my friends are thinking of marriage, have gotten their careers started and working their way up and I'm over here working an entry level clinical position making peanuts because I'm building my application for school. I'll be out of school in 5 years (assuming I'm accepted this cycle) plus another 4-5 of residency, by then my peers will be well on their way through their lives and will have started families. Kind of bothers me sometimes but nothing you can do if you realize what you want to do later in life. I also broke up with a long term relationship and left a 100k/year job to pursue medicine, I feel like I've given up so much, I just hope I can finally get in and get my life started. Maybe some nontrads just aren't meant for the family life ha
Hey, cheer up, I'd love to be 25 and be where I'm at now. (About the same position you're in.) But, even at 35, I'm not quite ready for the Depends just yet. Luckily I still look mid-20s.
I feel ya on the relationship thing. Getting out of a 5-year one myself at 27 is partly what put me back on the track to med school. Looking back, I wouldn't trade it.
I figure the only way now I'll do the married life is if I meet someone in med school or residency. But, with that said, my options are likely limited there too since I'll be 15 years older than my classmates. Haha.
By 45 though, I think it's a little late to be starting the whole family thing.
I am a 36 year old working single mom of 2 just starting back undergrad FT. I will be 39 when I apply for a PharmD program. If you are whining about possibly being too old at 29, you might want to rethink things. The road isn't easy and it's long as hell, but if it is what you want to do, age is not a factor.
My cousin went to med school with a guy in his late 40s, everyone liked him and he was one of the best students. You're definitely not too old, and if you really want to be a doctor, then do it.Im 29. Research Associate at a hospital. I worry about my age and if I should bother.
Sigh. . .this question is just too recurrent here. How does anyone even know what to say anymore? It's all been said. Research the issue. Look at where you are with meeting application requirements, and go for what you want--go from there. Dear God, I have to say; I'm sick to death of this question at SDN. It's been asked and answered ad nauseum.
Last edited:
You are definitely not too old. I am going to be 43 in a few weeks and I am an MS-4.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 569
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 781
- Replies
- 13
- Views
- 4K