Am I too old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSHBD21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all-

I am 29 and turn 30 next week. I have been married for 6 years and have an almost 7 year old son. I graduated with my bachelor's degree in 2012. I have been thinking about going back to school for a long time and finally decided that now is the time and I have finally found something that has motivated me to actually go back!

So I talked with someone from the school and got all the info I need. I have a few of the pre-reqs already completed but need a few more before I can apply. So my goal is to complete my pre reqs then apply to the program one year from now so hopefully if all goes as planned, I can start the program in the 2019 school year. I would then be 31 starting the program and 35 or 36 when I graduated.

I just kind of wish I would have thought about this sooner. When I start the actual program (if I am excepted) I would have to quit my well paying job as the classes are offered only during the day. But if I can pull it of, I think it would be well worth it in the end.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I graduated pharmacy school at 35. I got married a couple years before I started. We had our first kid while I was in school. You have to be organized and set your priorities properly, but it’s not that hard to do. There were a few in my class older than me. Advanced age means you’re closer to death, not that you’re stupid. You’ll be fine.

Reactions: 4 users
One thing to think about is, how you will allocate your time? School will take up a lot of time and studying for exam will take most of your spare time. I have a wife and child as well and it is doable. Hopefully you and your wife understand the commitment this will take. It is not easy leaving them to study.

I would ask how much experience you have with pharmacy? Have you worked in retail or shadowed anyone? Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to add some thoughts. You could still have a rewarding 30+ year long career before retiring! Some schools have shorter 3 year programs, too e.g. UCSF and UoPacific (california).

Finally, another thing you’ll need to double check with each program is whether or not your undergraduate courses will still be accepted. Some schools require the prerequisites to be taken within the last 8 years or so. If you received your bachelors in 2012 it’s possible some of your pre-req classes are 8-9 years old. I bet some schools would be lenient about this, but you’ll need ask their admissions office.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey @MSHBD21

Short answer, no :)

Long answer: look up the Pharmacy School Admissions Requirements (PSAR) Table 5 on first-year pharmacy classes. You'll see the age range for every class of pharmacy students, and age 30 is smack in the middle of most of them. (The statistician in me will warn you of the caveat that this doesn't provide information about mean or median age, but by no means will you be an exception or outlier.)

I am 30 - turning 31 in February - and I start pharmacy school in June 2018!

In my opinion - If you have the will and drive for it, you’ll never be to old for anything.

Hello all-

I am 29 and turn 30 next week. I have been married for 6 years and have an almost 7 year old son. I graduated with my bachelor's degree in 2012. I have been thinking about going back to school for a long time and finally decided that now is the time and I have finally found something that has motivated me to actually go back!

So I talked with someone from the school and got all the info I need. I have a few of the pre-reqs already completed but need a few more before I can apply. So my goal is to complete my pre reqs then apply to the program one year from now so hopefully if all goes as planned, I can start the program in the 2019 school year. I would then be 31 starting the program and 35 or 36 when I graduated.

I just kind of wish I would have thought about this sooner. When I start the actual program (if I am excepted) I would have to quit my well paying job as the classes are offered only during the day. But if I can pull it of, I think it would be well worth it in the end.

1. Do you enjoy your job?
2. How much is "well playing?"

Hello all-

Not too old at all, but crunch your numbers financially to understand your debt to income ratio (in a career that’s saturated yet can be fulfilling if you understand your risk and reward). The numbers you calculate don’t necessarily have to be in your favor if it’s a passion, but they have to be right.

What exactly is your “well paying job” put you income wise? How much of a savings do you have? What’s your debt going to be with those student loans? With a family I presume the spouse will be working while your in school?

If I decide to go I’ll also be 32 with an 8 and a 6 year old as well (along with a B.S. in biochemistry). My situation is slightly different in that my family will have built up a good savings as well as having no loans upon graduation (post 9/11 GI bill) with guaranteed in-state tuition in all 50 states. If your current salary is 70k+ with matching or a good dispersment of funds I would not consider switching over. The field itself is great if you are not picky location wise. Understand you will not be immuned to saturation that currently exists. Many go with no work experience in a pharmacy and truly regret the decision come APPE rotation(s) time in school.

More details of your finances would give us a better idea if you should move forward with this. Age is not a factor just preparation.

I'll be 28 in April and my hope is to start in 2019. So nope. :) I feel young.