Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Am I too old?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Qi Whiz, May 4, 2000.

1. Qi Whiz

Qi Whiz Member

I'm nontraditional DO-OMM wannabe: 50 y/o, lawyer-turned-acupuncturist; need to take sciences, MCAT; would apply within 5 years; will do what it takes to get the learning. Comments appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Qi Whiz (edited 05-04-2000).]

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bobo

bobo Senior Member

You are right, others do post duplicate messages. That doesn't mean you should as well. As someone else stated in another thread, you are more likely to get a response if you stick to one group. I suspect that many people at least glance at eh topics of most folders.

bobo

4. alexcc_ms

alexcc_ms Member

No you're not too old. I interviewed at 6 D.O. schools and they are all proud of their diversity. These days the nontraditional student is becoming more commonplace. Mid to late fifties is hardly unheard of. Go for it.

5. I disagree.

This topic was hashed out in some detail a while back in response to a very non-tarditional applicant. Diversity is good, but you gotta draw the line somewhere.

Apply @55. Finished @59. Out of res. @62.

I think this is a waste of resources. I welcome any discussion, flames or otherwise [​IMG]

6. miglo

miglo Senior Member

7. Sherry

Sherry Member

I too am a nontraditional student, however I would be concerned if you are not planning on applying for 5 years you will be at least 62 years old once you complete residency ...motivation? realistic goals? Only you can answer those questions. But good luck in whatever you decide.

8. i personally think that its great u want to go to DO school- i mean it really means that in your heart this is what u want to do

i know i couldn't do it though- i give u a lot of credit

9. Paul's Boutique

Is anyone ever too old to do anything? The only time you're too old is when you're 6 feet under----that's the only time it's too late to do something.

Carpe diem, my friend!

10. Qi Whiz

Qi Whiz Member

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I'm going to go for it!

11. lumbrical

lumbrical Member

Before you spend the time, money, and energy to start down this path, I URGE you to call admissions departments at various med schools, speak to the director of admissions and ask their opinion of your plan. If they say, hey, we welcome non-traditional applicants in their mid-50s, then you've got a shot. If they instead question your motivation and suggest that your possibility of gaining admission is tenuous at best, then perhaps another career in medicine would be a better choice; I always encourage people to follow their dreams, but you may be pursuing a path that is a martyr's quest, with no hope of success. Find out before you try, and remember there are ways other than the full 10 or so years of sci courses + med school + postgrad training to be very involved in direct patient care (PA, etc.).

I think you read the previous posts selectively, without really being interested in answers that didn't match your ideas...

Good luck.

12. ADRIANSHOE

ADRIANSHOE Senior Member

I agree completely with lumbrical regarding how to start your quest, however, i dont understand why he thinks you are only listening to those who agree with you.
    i would much rather see A MINIMUM age for entrance: say 30, than a maximum age (provided you are required to post a bond saying you will pay up if you kick off, lol)
    The fact that you have the ambition and selfesteem to consider medical school at your age is evidence for you having a shot.
    but as lumbrical said, without you doing legwork you will waste a lot of time and energy.

13. Deb

Deb Senior Member

You should call a couple of schools and ask to be put in contact with some of
    their older students. In my class, we had 7 or 8 people in their late 40's -
    early 50's. The attrition rate for that age group was pretty high, around
    30-40%. I didn't know any of the ones that didn't make it, so I can't say
    whether age played any part. Also, you really need to consider the expense
    involved. The annual budget for UHS is approx. $42,000 (tuition is approx.
    $27,000). Are you really prepared to spend/borrow that much money? If you're
    that determined to go into health care, you should at least consider PA or NP
    school. You'd be through in 4 or 5 yrs, vs 9+ yrs (it takes most people a
    couple of yrs to complete premed prereqs) and at your age, the monetary payoff
    would be greater than med school.

14. Qi Whiz

Qi Whiz Member

I like the ideas about calling admissions departments and about asking to talk to older students. I'll do both- plus some!