Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Am I totally screwed?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by WannabeMD, Apr 11, 2001.

1. Hello,
    I am new to this forum, and have a question for anyone qualified to help me answer it. I am a senior at Gettysburg College with a 3.2 GPA, but only a 2.5 BCPM. I have 4 C's on my transcript. I had a D in organic, but retook it and got a B+ and B-. I'm taking my MCATs in 10 days(God help me)...on practice exams, I've gotten in the 25 range. I'm a Biology and Spanish double major and philosophy minor here. I've had lots of volunteer experience and have become bilingual in Spanish after studying for a semester in Guadalajara, Mexico. I'm also involved in tons of extracurricular activities. I want to be a physician more than anything!!! I'm already taking a year off since I went abroad, and I was planning on starting to apply this June to enter in the Fall of 2002. During my year off, I'm going back to study in Mexico, working 2 jobs and shadowing a physician, getting married, and taking a few classes. I was planning on co-applying to accelerated nursing programs, as well as some graduate programs in Spanish. That way, if I don't get in the first time, I could reapply during my year of graduate work. Several physicians I've talked to have told me that I have a very good chance of getting in, regardless of grades, because of my activities and language skills. Others have told me to look at other careers. I know I can do this, even if I have to wait a few years. My question to all of you is do you think I have a chance? Would it be better for me to take some classes, work, etc. and then do a year of grad school before applying or do you think it's worth my while to apply for Fall of 2002 and just take classes and work for my year off? I'm really just looking for any knowledgeable opinions on my situation. I know I want to go into medicine, and I wouldn't mind waiting 2 years instead of 1, I'd just like to know before I shell out that kind of money. Please give me your honest suggestions.

Thanks,
    Tara

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Rza

Rza Junior Member

I think your 3.2 overall GPA is OK. It's not the best, but it is possible to get in with that, especially if you can bring in good outside experiences as you said. The 2.5 BCPM, however, is a little too low. Before you apply you need to convince/show the adcomms that you can handle the science workload in med school. Regardless of the enriching outside experiences you can bring in, if they feel you can't hack the science content, they won't be inclined to admit you. So, I think your best bet is to do some post-bac work involving science courses, and ace'ing those clases. Taking a couple of years off is not a bad idea, since you can significantly strengthen your application during that time off. As for applying this year, I'm not sure if it will be worth it for you, as your BCPM GPA is really going to hold you back. The process costs a lot of time and money, and if you're going to be out of the country during interview season it will be even more difficult. Hope that helps.

4. Thank you very much for your comments; they were quite helpful. Our school has had trouble with our computer system lately, so my transcript online was actually inaccurate. I just recalculated my BCPM, and it is 2.77. I know it's not that much of an increase, but will that not destroy my application as much (not necessarily for this year) if I would do a post-bac program next year? Thanks again!

5. tweet

tweet Junior Member

DO NOT GIVE UP YET!! If this is what you really want and you are willing to work with it, I will tell you what i did when I was in the exact same situation with almost identical numbers...I was accepted into a number of allopathic schools a few years out of college.

Here is what everyone said to do, and it worked. I spent one year after college taking upper level undergraduate science courses to show that I could handle those. That is important because it shows that you did gain the background informtion you should have in undergrad. Then I did a one year Masters of Science program. These are intensive programs in which you take a curriculum equivalent to that of medical school. They are very respected by the schools and they are a great indication of your motivation and intelligence. You can find these at: Chicago Med/Finch, Georgetown, MCP/Hahnemann, and Barry University.
    After doing these things, there are two things to consider. The first is that the interview is going to be a much more important part of the process for you than for other applicants because you must convey what you have done since undergrad to make you a better applicant. The other thing is that you should apply to schools that typically accept students who have taken alternative routes. For instance, Tulane is known for loving students who have travelled and studied abroad, and especially those who have done medical work in those countries. There are a lot of schools that pride themselves on looking past undergraduate numbers so read up on it.

Good luck!!

6. Give it up you know you are not gonna get in.

7. mongoose

mongoose Banned
    Banned

I think you missed on one point! The MCAT was April 21. In 10 days you take it? You are a little LATE!

8. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer

Non-Student
    Mongoose, if you notice WannaBeMD's post was on April 11th, that is 10 days prior to the MCAT. So you are THE WEAKEST LINK. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by GreatPumpkin (edited April 26, 2001).]

9. 8deuce

8deuce Senior Member

hey tweet have you got in at any med schools yet? just curious b/c i live in miami also (pre-med) and i just want to know more info like your stats(gpa,mcat), what schools you got accepted to and if you are a minority.any info would help me and i thank you for any response. take care!