Am I “Underrepresented”?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

O.F. Hanson

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a silly question, but I am visually a Latino, considering I have tan skin, though I am curious as to whether I particularly fall under the minority/underrepresented in medicine definition. I am adopted from Guatemala into the United States and have been raised by a white family; hence, I only speak English fluently and I have lost touch with my cultural roots (though I am exploring it more in my undergrad years).

Considering the definition, I am curious as to whether the “socioeconomic” sort-of privilege I grew up surrounded by negates the Hispanic/Latino identity I am visually. Again, perhaps a silly question but I am genuinely curious. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

From the little context you provided, I probably wouldn't say you'd have the "disadvantaged" status.

However, you most definitely would be considered/classified as "underrepresented in medicine" (URM/URiM) based on your ethnic background and Guatemalan roots.

Reactions: 1 user
Perhaps a silly question, but I am visually a Latino, considering I have tan skin, though I am curious as to whether I particularly fall under the minority/underrepresented in medicine definition. I am adopted from Guatemala into the United States and have been raised by a white family; hence, I only speak English fluently and I have lost touch with my cultural roots (though I am exploring it more in my undergrad years).

Considering the definition, I am curious as to whether the “socioeconomic” sort-of privilege I grew up surrounded by negates the Hispanic/Latino identity I am visually. Again, perhaps a silly question but I am genuinely curious. Thanks!
My understanding is that Guatemenos are not URM, but being Hispanic can be helpful.

Gaining Spanish language skills and/or service to Hispanic communities can also be of help.

Reactions: 1 users