am I wrong??? competition for Anesthesiology residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andwhat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a medical resident today, and he told me that his friend got a spot recently for Anesthesiology in a top notch program. He mentioned to me that the competition for an Anesthesiology residency spot had actually gone down due to the raising malpractice insurance fees. However I will wholeheartedly admit that this is the first time that I have heard anything remotely near this statement, matter of fact I have heard the opposite about Anesthesiology residency lately and in the past. So what is the truth? can someone please provide some input here? thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

thats a very depressing article actually.. are you telling me that Anesthesiology is getting as competitive as Radiology and Dermatology.. well that would be very very bad news.. but for now I am thinking that it is still attainable.. well I start my away elective next week.. is there any last second advice anyone can grant me.. I really want a spot.. and it has absolutely nothing to do with the lifestyle.. I just like working in the OR environment, love procedural work, could find tons of satisfaction doing it.. love the challenging rewards of the work involved. lines, TLCs, subclavians, and the work associated with it.. plus I really like Physio, Pharm and Anatomy.. that integration is cool, and plus the procedural work makes it ever so appealing to me.. but that sucks if its so competitive.. is it that hard to get a spot????

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by andwhat
thats a very depressing article actually.. are you telling me that Anesthesiology is getting as competitive as Radiology and Dermatology.. well that would be very very bad news.. but for now I am thinking that it is still attainable.. well I start my away elective next week.. is there any last second advice anyone can grant me.. I really want a spot.. and it has absolutely nothing to do with the lifestyle.. I just like working in the OR environment, love procedural work, could find tons of satisfaction doing it.. love the challenging rewards of the work involved. lines, TLCs, subclavians, and the work associated with it.. plus I really like Physio, Pharm and Anatomy.. that integration is cool, and plus the procedural work makes it ever so appealing to me.. but that sucks if its so competitive.. is it that hard to get a spot????

Man, same here!!! I really like what anesthesia is about. . .nothing to do with lifestyle! I hope hope hope that the competitiveness will stay low for at least a few more years.

I think it might not become quite so competitive as Derm and Rads. Anesthesia has always been relatively popular among students at my med school, but hasn't seemed to be growing in popularity all that much. EM and Peds have been the big ones lately for the past few classes. EM especially for the current 4th year class grew a lot compared to last year.

Also, not everyone likes the OR. I LOVE it!! on the other hand I hate clinics, which a lot more people like.

Originally posted by andwhat
I was talking to a medical resident today, and he told me that his friend got a spot recently for Anesthesiology in a top notch program. He mentioned to me that the competition for an Anesthesiology residency spot had actually gone down due to the raising malpractice insurance fees. However I will wholeheartedly admit that this is the first time that I have heard anything remotely near this statement, matter of fact I have heard the opposite about Anesthesiology residency lately and in the past. So what is the truth? can someone please provide some input here? thanks in advance!

from what I've heard, malpractice has gone down considerably for anesthesiologists. It used to be insane, but they've gotten a lot better at not killing people, so now it's only around 40,000.

My attending I worked with at a private practice hospital in Dallas said his malpractice a year was around $8500. Is there stats on Malpractice insurance??

Anesthesiology is NOWHERE NEAR as competitive as dermatology and radiology. Geeeeesh.

needed that huge sigh of relief.. I will say that the NY times is not exactly medical literature, and did not think that Anesthesiology was as competitive as Derm and Rads.. nice to know for now.. thanks for clearing that up..

Definitely not as competitive as Rads or Derm. However, there has been a rise in both quality adn quantitiy of applicants. PDs now are able to pick adn choose more than they were in the past. Things like board scores may become a little more competitive from what I've heard. There are still plenty of spots nationwide though.

Just look at the numbers. Anesth is moderately competitive at best. The number of spots have increased year after year for the past 10 years or so, yet the number of US medical grads has flattened for the past 2-3 years. All the extra spots are getting taken by foreign grads. These are the numbers and they are indisputable.

I say fields like Derm, Radiology, Optho, Ortho, ENT, Urology are far more competitive. I might even state getting in a top program for General Surgery is even harder. Applications for Gen Surg sports last year increased about 10-20% last year while Anesth was flat (as stated above). Having a foreign grad in a top 25 General Surgery program is almost unheard of, yet it happens in Anesthiology all the time. Heck the school I went to had about 50% foreign grads and most would consider it a very competitive Anesthia program.

what school did you go to daredevil??