AMA: First year done

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faux

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to make this thread by the end of my second year, but it seems most people are interested in D1.

Lets go!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Which school do you go to & how do you like it so far? How was the transition between undergrad and dental school?

Thanks for doing this! :cat:

Reactions: 1 user
How often did you have a free night/weekend to lounge and have some personal time?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What class did you enjoy most?

What do you think is the best study strategy you're using in dental school?

Reactions: 2 users
How many times did you cry?

Reactions: 18 users
Wanted to make this thread by the end of my second year, but it seems most people are interested in D1.

Lets go!
It's the transition that's scary.
Thanks for the thread!

Do you feel like everyone else is smarter than you and the course load is impossible?

Which school do you go to & how do you like it so far? How was the transition between undergrad and dental school?

Thanks for doing this! :cat:

I'm fortunate enough to be a student at UB in New York. My experience has been extremely positive so far, faculty are really helpful and supportive. They even listen to student feedback. For example, we had to get loupes during our spring semester because first year students now take direct in spring. We were the first class to do so. Students seem to stick together as well.

See below for my transition experience.

How often did you have a free night/weekend to lounge and have some personal time?

Honestly, most of my free time has me visiting family back in NYC once a month or having the GF over on the occasional weekend. I personally had to study a lot since I was out of school for a year. Students in my class definitely managed their time better and found time to hang out with classmates.

What class did you enjoy most?

I came into school thinking Biochemistry would be my C grade and Histology would be my easy A. Turns out I tend to over think things sometimes and got an A in Biochemistry and a B in histology. Biochemistry was really interesting for me, especially the second block that consisted of glycolysis and all those fun processes. Gross anatomy was fun in its own away, it was nice seeing the comradely among students. We also took a community service class this past semester, which was also a new edition. It was nice to get our feet wet with the community during several events.

What do you think is the best study strategy you're using in dental school?

I'm still playing around with methods but I seem to be sticking to flash cards with quizlet.com . Never been one to look at something once and commit it to memory. Got me a 3.0 both semesters.

How many times did you cry?

Honestly? Fall semester was the most emotional time in my entire life. I never had so many ups and downs before. I was on my own for the first time, school work was train load of information coming head on. Gross anatomy was a huge time sink. For those that go to the gym, do you remember your first few days of going? You can barely move for a few days. But as time goes on, your body and mind gets adjusted, and that pain and discomfort is no longer there. The same goes for dental school. You simply just need to time to adjust. For the spring semester, I was mostly laid back, despite the constant quizzes.

Reactions: 8 users
Thanks for doing this!
How much of the science classes were pure memorization vs application questions on exams?

Do you feel like everyone else is smarter than you and the course load is impossible?

Not really, I felt that way for a few weeks during the fall and now just worry about myself. Theres always going to be smarter people. Just compete with your self and do the best you can.

Thanks for doing this!
How much of the science classes were pure memorization vs application questions on exams?

Most of it is just memorization, except for some parts of gross anatomy and biochemistry(the block i mentioned). Gross was fun, for example a questioned asked about a patient that had an injury in his hand, felt some sensation on some fingers and numbness in other ones. Asked about his condition and whats wrong, that sort of thing. Case questions.

1. What do you do for fun in Buffalo?
2. How awesome are your classmates, on a scale of 1 (being meh) to 10 (being OMG I never want to leave this frozen tundra!)?
3. What are the facilities like at Buffalo?

Thanks for doing this, Faux. You're a solid guy- looking out for us little pre-dents.

Not really, I felt that way for a few weeks during the fall and now just worry about myself. Theres always going to be smarter people. Just compete with your self and do the best you can.

Most of it is just memorization, except for some parts of gross anatomy and biochemistry(the block i mentioned). Gross was fun, for example a questioned asked about a patient that had an injury in his hand, felt some sensation on some fingers and numbness in other ones. Asked about his condition and whats wrong, that sort of thing. Case questions.

That makes sense! Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. Thanks for doing this.

I got a few questions for you:

What was the hardest class for you in D1?
Can you describe how you felt the first time you had to wax up teeth and cut a prep?
What was the transition like from having to deal with classes that didn't focus so much on manual dexterity and detail in undergrad to now having to deal with these types of classes? Is there anything a person can do before dental school to know if they enjoy this type of work?

this is very good in a sense that it puts everything in realistic perspective, instead of it being "It will probably be that way".
I will come up with another Q if I can!!

2. How awesome are your classmates, on a scale of 1 (being meh) to 10 (being OMG I never want to leave this frozen tundra!)?

Thanks for doing this, Faux. You're a solid guy- looking out for us little pre-dents.

*waves

As I said before, most of my free time is back in NYC. But whenever my gf stays over we usually just sight see, see what buffalo food there is and just spend some quality time together. She had a chaotic work transition too, so often than not, we're guilty of cozying up and doing netflix. We made a promise to try and get to know Buffalo a bit more this upcoming semester and see what it has to offer. I came to Buffalo very worried because of the depressing posts and just day to day conversations with people in NYC about living in Buffalo. I never heard anything positive. But I came to grow very fond of Buffalo, even during my first week here. Good food, nice people, low cost of living, rarely any traffic and calm summers. I thought I needed NYC, but not anymore.

Hi. Thanks for doing this.

I got a few questions for you:

What was the hardest class for you in D1?

I would say Gross Anatomy. None of the classes are really difficult, its just a lot of information. You can't fall behind, or else you're going to lacking sleep.

Can you describe how you felt the first time you had to wax up teeth and cut a prep?

I didn't particularly care for waxing. It was a stressful time too, especially seeing peers grasp on to the concept better. Drilling on the other hand is fun though. Seeing your progress is encouraging, especially with indirect vision. Just one of those things you have to keep going at it. I wouldn't worry too much about waxing, its just helps build up hand skills.

What was the transition like from having to deal with classes that didn't focus so much on manual dexterity and detail in undergrad to now having to deal with these types of classes? Is there anything a person can do before dental school to know if they enjoy this type of work?

You'll learn whatever you need to learn in school, don't worry about picking up extra activities. We had waxing only one day a week during the fall semester and direct once a week during the spring. And we were really eased into drilling too, so that was nice. Like at our school, neuroanatomy finished when we started drilling, so thats a nice time opening there to fill with practice time.

*waves

As I said before, most of my free time is back in NYC. But whenever my gf stays over we usually just sight see, see what buffalo food there is and just spend some quality time together. She had a chaotic work transition too, so often than not, we're guilty of cozying up and doing netflix. We made a promise to try and get to know Buffalo a bit more this upcoming semester and see what it has to offer. I came to Buffalo very worried because of the depressing posts and just day to day conversations with people in NYC about living in Buffalo. I never heard anything positive. But I came to grow very fond of Buffalo, even during my first week here. Good food, nice people, low cost of living, rarely any traffic and calm summers. I thought I needed NYC, but not anymore.

*waves back*

Thank you for the response! Can you elaborate on the quality of the facilities there? Are they doing any renovations?

*waves back*

Thank you for the response! Can you elaborate on the quality of the facilities there? Are they doing any renovations?

Seems like UB will start renovations this summer and hopefully finish everything by summer of next year. You guys will most probably be using a brand new preclinical room during your second year. Unfortunately, I won't get to use them as much as you and the students that come after you , but such as life. At its current state? Not as shiny as UNC or or as sparkling Temple, but it gets the job done. Once you got your loupes on and you're working, you're not really paying attention to much else besides the typodont. Plus the tuition is hard to beat!

Thanks for the Q&A.

You said you were out of school for a year. Did you do anything to prepare for D1 in the months before the semester began (did it help?) and how difficult was it to get back into studying mode?

EDIT: I thought of one more question, thanks! How long are breaks/how many breaks did you have? And can you actually relax or did you have to study over them?

Last edited:
What is your normal routine close to exams/not close to exams?

Do you ever think back to how naive you were before dental school started? :happy:

Thanks for the Q&A.

You said you were out of school for a year. Did you do anything to prepare for D1 in the months before the semester began (did it help?) and how difficult was it to get back into studying mode?

EDIT: I thought of one more question, thanks! How long are breaks/how many breaks did you have? And can you actually relax or did you have to study over them?

I showed my DAT results in to my advisor a few weeks before christmas. I asked him if I should take anything in the spring, he laughed and told me to enjoy my self. Thankfully I took his advice. I met a wonderful women a week after my exam, traveled a bit and actually took some classes. What classes? Pizza making, painting courses and a few handy man courses :p. Just tried doing all the things I wanted to do and was fortunate enough to share those moments with someone too.

Getting back into school mode wasn't difficult. I was refreshed and ready to work.

We have a three week winter break, but it seems to be 2 weeks from now on. We have spring break, we just had a week off between the end of spring semester and the early fall(D2 now). Summer break starts June 16 and school starts up the second week of August I believe.

What is your normal routine close to exams/not close to exams?

I try my best to be on top of my flash cards by the time of the last lectures. Most of the time, I'm just going to through the cards by the last lecture. I only have a 3.0, but I still sleep at night and go back home. I would have a lot more time if I had a set of notes for each class. I'm not particularly good at typing up notes on the fly, so I end up rewatching videos and rewinding a bit, which can be time consuming. I wish every class was like gross anatomy, in terms of having just a pink booklet of notes.

Do you ever think back to how naive you were before dental school started? :happy:

I just wish I didn't beat myself up as much during the fall. I was pretty rough on my self and like I said I never had so many ups and downs like that before emotionally.

Last edited:
I asked him if I should take anything in the spring, he laughed and told me to enjoy my self. Thankfully I took his advice. I met a wonderful women a week after my exam, traveled a bit and actually took some classes. What classes? Pizza making, painting courses and a few handy man courses :p. Just tried doing all the things I wanted to do and was fortunate enough to share those moments with someone too.

"And that, kids, is How I Met Your Mother."

Reactions: 6 users
Honestly? Fall semester was the most emotional time in my entire life. I never had so many ups and downs before. I was on my own for the first time, school work was train load of information coming head on. Gross anatomy was a huge time sink. For those that go to the gym, do you remember your first few days of going? You can barely move for a few days. But as time goes on, your body and mind gets adjusted, and that pain and discomfort is no longer there. The same goes for dental school. You simply just need to time to adjust. For the spring semester, I was mostly laid back, despite the constant quizzes.
I've hard this analogy a couple of times and it makes me feel a bit better! Thanks :)

And classmates are good! Occasional drama moments here and there but other than that, everyone takes care of one another and we try to get through everything together.

Are there hawt chiks in D-school?

What's your typical day like?
How much time do you and your classmates spend studying per week?

What's your typical day like?
How much time do you and your classmates spend studying per week?

I stopped going to class during the first two weeks of school in the fall. I watch the videos at home in the morning and make my flash cards. Couldn't really stay up during second semester except for microbiology and physiology because all the other classes had quizzes every other day

Usually take an hour or two break here and there. Trying to incorporate the gym this time around though. I need a hobby outside of school

You mentioned taking "direct in the spring." What is direct?

Why did you think Gross was a huge time sink? Did you not take Gross Anatomy in college? Do you think most of your D1 friends who didn't take Gross Anatomy in college had to study harder?

Why did you think Gross was a huge time sink? Did you not take Gross Anatomy in college? Do you think most of your D1 friends who didn't take Gross Anatomy in college had to study harder?

Do undergrads have access to gross anatomy/cadaver labs now or am I missing something here?

I only took two semesters of anatomy and physiology and that was zero help. It was such a tiny bite of what I actually learned in dental school. I'd go as far to say that it was pointless to take, besides the GPA boost I got from it. I got a B in gross and was very happy with it. Its a time sink because theres so much information. Each chapter was 6-10 pages, but it was packed with information. Innervation, blood supply, possible issues, path ways and all that jazz. If you could take a gross anatomy in class in college, I'd do it, but do it under pass/fail. Just for the exposure, not the grade.

Thats an example of a direct project that we do in class.

Reactions: 3 users
Was the upper quadrant emphasized in gross? Or did you spend just as much time on the innervation of the foot as you did on the face?

Was the upper quadrant emphasized in gross? Or did you spend just as much time on the innervation of the foot as you did on the face?

At UB, we don't do lower torso. Our head block is also weighed the most, so its a major focus.

At UB, we don't do lower torso. Our head block is also weighed the most, so its a major focus.

Can you please name three things you LOVE about UB and three things that need to be improved?

Can you please name three things you LOVE about UB and three things that need to be improved?

1.Great faculty and attentive to student feedback
2.Small class size
3. Very affordable school and cost of living

1.For gross anatomy we had a pink booklet that included all the information we needed for the course. I would love this to be a feature for every class. I just don't like writing notes when professors lecture and at times, I personally can't keep up at times. Its not uncommon for me to replay a certain topic(lecture video) several times. In undergrad, we just had power points and thats all, so this is a bit new for me. This was really only an issue in biochemistry and a few other classes.

2. Video recordings for all lectures should be mandatory. Some Professors/doctors don't use the technology despite being there for one reason or another. I personally learn best being able to go through the lecture a second time and really absorb all the material. This has only been an issue in 2 classes so far.

3. More practice practicals would be nice, ones that are actually graded.

Congrats on completing your first year!
Any advice/ tips for an incoming freshman?

Congrats on completing your first year!
Any advice/ tips for an incoming freshman?

Just stay on top of things, time really does fly by here. Don't beat yourself up, give your some credit and time to adjust to things. Budget accordingly and have some emergency cash on hand. Don't forget about youtube as a study aid, especially for gross.

The only thing I would have done differently was go over our gross anatomy booklet during orientation week. Just being able to focus on that would have made a big difference during the semester.

Have you ever thought about doing research? When is the best time to do it in terms of balancing coursework, etc.

Have you ever thought about doing research? When is the best time to do it in terms of balancing coursework, etc.

Is there a specialty you're interested in?

Never got a notification for these posts, sorry guys.

I hear year 1 is a good time doing research. I have several friends doing it. Theres some good opportunities. Perhaps next year I'll look into it. Just needed the time for my self, its been a long year, due to school and other factors.

Regarding specialties, I'm only interested in general dentistry at the moment. We did have a shadowing project though during the first week of dental school. I would be lying if I wasn't interested in prothos after that experience. We'll see what the future holds, but I'm not exactly jumping up and down at the thought of spending more years during education.