AMA Guide to Evaluation of Permanent Impairment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clausewitz2

Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you out there already doing IMEs, workman's comp etc., is this resource worthwhile as a source for evidence-based guidelines/best practice stuff? I know there are a number of different resources that all claim to be providing this but they vary wildly in price and this definitely weighs in on the cheaper side. I don't have any institutional access to any of them, unfortunately.

And if this one is no good for mental health issues, I would love to hear about resources that are better.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just sent you a PM. I use it because I have to in my state, but there are other resources.

Reactions: 1 user
That text does not include treatment guidelines. It is the text in how to create impairment ratings.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you out there already doing IMEs, workman's comp etc., is this resource worthwhile as a source for evidence-based guidelines/best practice stuff? I know there are a number of different resources that all claim to be providing this but they vary wildly in price and this definitely weighs in on the cheaper side. I don't have any institutional access to any of them, unfortunately.

And if this one is no good for mental health issues, I would love to hear about resources that are better.

Do you have CME funds? I just buy all this stuff with my spouse's funds.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I meant more RTW best practices rather than treatment guidelines as such.

Oh, then you want:

Talmage, J. B., et al. (2011). AMA Guides to the Evaluation of Work Ability and Return to Work, American Medical Association.

The first 20 pages will be of special interest to anyone dealing with patients and work.

Reactions: 2 users
While I was looking to see if my institution had access to either of those AMA guides online (we don't) I found this book which we do have online access to:

Gold, Liza H, & Vanderpool, Donna L. (2013). Clinical Guide to Mental Disability Evaluations (1. Aufl. ed.). New York, NY: Springer-Verlag.

It has a chapter on return to work, withdrawal, and accommodations.

I haven't read it yet but when I get a chance I'll follow-up with whether I find it helpful.

Edit: Read the chapter I mentioned. Lots of advice about best practices and approaches to these situations, a lot of it probably obvious. Not as prescriptive as I would want and think you might be looking for.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I have done non-SSI disability, workman's comp and DBA. I have not used the AMA guidelines really. If I was doing more, I may. I get a good variety of cases and disability is a small porportion. Consider the ABIME certification (based on the ama guidelines) and/or local QME.

I have done non-SSI disability, workman's comp and DBA. I have not used the AMA guidelines really. If I was doing more, I may. I get a good variety of cases and disability is a small porportion. Consider the ABIME certification (based on the ama guidelines) and/or local QME.

What methodology do you use?

What methodology do you use?
Just a standard psychiatric IME. I may do a MoCA. At some point I may review the AMA guidelines but I do not get too many disability-type cases.

Just a standard psychiatric IME. I may do a MoCA. At some point I may review the AMA guidelines but I do not get too many disability-type cases.

The standard for worker's comp and some personal injury is the AMA Guidelines.... like codified into most states' laws.