Minnesota D1 AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryxndek

D1 Minnesota
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Hey predents, as the cycle is just starting to heat up, I thought I'd try and extend a little AMA for you guys.

I'm about a month and a half into my D1 year at the University of Minnesota. I realize this isn't a full year under the belt. Still, even before I started I was pretty nervous about how to manage the dense courseload, transition to being a professional student, work/life balance, taking out a ton of money in loans/finances (and how that all works), and of course, the dreaded waxing.

I'll try my best to answer as many questions as I can. If there's anything I can do/say to help calm some nerves about applying/enrolling/and starting dental school, I'd like to be a resource for you!

If you are curious about my stats/schools I got into, my WAMC/Stats is linked in my signature.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you so much for giving us all these valuable information and support! So much respect

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for giving us all these valuable information and support! So much respect
i want to know how you still have so much time to moderate this forum...

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i want to know how you still have so much time to moderate this forum...
Lol, a fair question! I usually pop on for a few min between classes, when I wake up and when I get home I'll check periodically between my studies. But I'm passionate about what SDN does and what it did for me. I took this role to help others. So even if it's in a small capacity, I'm hoping to make things easier/less confusing for those who wish to pursue this profession.

Come springtime, I think my activities will be dwindled down a little since things pick up a lot more.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
any unexpected challenges or financial situations that you've had to figure out?

any unexpected challenges or financial situations that you've had to figure out?
I got a little screwed this summer with work, so I barely made any money and accrued a good about of CC debt which sucked, so tackling that right away when school started was a little stressful. Absolutely make a budget when you get your total costs and break it down into 12 months. The loans they give you are generally for maybe 10-11 months (at least for us), as they don't count summer breaks as school terms, so you need to budget accordingly. Trying to not spend a ton of money but still being social can be tricky. But a lot of groups host events on campus and being a D1 means you generally don't have to pay for that during the first few months. I'd say that was probably the biggest challenge.

Otherwise, I think just adjusting to the course load. I was taking ~13-14 credits per semester during undergrad and just this semester we're taking 22 credits/8 classes. But my school has done a good job of "slowly" ramping us up to full speed. We have 3 exams this week, finished with 2. So this is probably our first true week of dental school. And if this had been right away, it would have absolutely sucked. But I'm accustomed to the pace and I have my routine down so it really hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. If you stay up to date with the material, it doesn't get too overwhelming...yet

Reactions: 1 users
Do you have any advice on the waiting process? I’ve had one interview and it went really well and they sort of made it seem like we would be accepted but I’m not getting my hopes up. Other than that I’ve received 2 supplementals but haven’t heard literally anything. I’m assuming at this point it’s because I’m not being considered for first round interview? My app was verified 6/28. Just losing hope at this point
I think you really have to try and be patient and to not let things get to your head. It can be really hard on you mentally to be constantly waiting and feel like you did something wrong. Having one interview means there weren't any glaring red flags in your app, which is a good thing. I agree that you don't want to get your hopes up, but feeling like it went well is always a nice thing to keep in mind.

Supplementals don't really mean anything unless the school uses them as a means of moving on to the next process but not a lot of schools do that. Most will be sent to everyone who applies. I also wouldn't stress about first-round interviews too much. It's definitely nice to have that, but interviews are extended throughout the entire fall, winter, and sometimes even spring. There are a lot of applicants that get invited late fall and even post-December and still get accepted. So I'd try to distract yourself and keep your head up!

• Care
Do you have any advice on the waiting process? I’ve had one interview and it went really well and they sort of made it seem like we would be accepted but I’m not getting my hopes up. Other than that I’ve received 2 supplementals but haven’t heard literally anything. I’m assuming at this point it’s because I’m not being considered for first round interview? My app was verified 6/28. Just losing hope at this point
trust the process...

Any regrets from your time between working on your application to first day of D1?

Any regrets from your time between working on your application to first day of D1?
During application season pre-acceptance, I think it has to be getting too stressed about schools even after interviewing. There was absolutely nothing I could do between my last interview in Oct. to acceptance day in Dec. and I would have just slapped myself in the face and told myself to go enjoy my senior year. I'd probably say the same for spring, but post-acceptance I was pretty relaxed and just cruising to graduation since I knew I had a spot.

For the summer after graduation, I definitely wish I got a better-paying job. I screwed myself a little bit. It was a good opportunity but the pay wasn't where it should have been for my skillset. I also think I wish I had spent more time with my family and friends. Trying to be an adult and now that I'm in school and on my own, definitely miss some family time. Though since I live relatively close I have been making a conscious effort to find time to go home for a few hours to see my parents. But if you're going to have to move away for school, make sure you have a solid support system for you.

I also wished I traveled more. I wanted to travel but didn't have the money due to the reasons above.

My advice would be to those applying:
Try to not stress about things you don't have control over. It can feel like a really good idea to constantly try and contact admissions and hound them with questions about your app. But they're managing 1000s of applications and trying to find the best students for their class. If you haven't been rejected yet, you're under consideration. That's what matters. And until that rejection comes in, you're going to be considered for the class.

I would also say that now is a fantastic time to learn how to live on your own if that's your plan. Learn how to cook, do your laundry, finances, and just how to be an adult. They really don't baby you anymore in dental school and expect you to be professional. So just get into good habits now so you don't have any problems come school time would be some good advice.

Just try to get things done now that you've been wanting to do!

Reactions: 2 users
During application season pre-acceptance, I think it has to be getting too stressed about schools even after interviewing. There was absolutely nothing I could do between my last interview in Oct. to acceptance day in Dec. and I would have just slapped myself in the face and told myself to go enjoy my senior year. I'd probably say the same for spring, but post-acceptance I was pretty relaxed and just cruising to graduation since I knew I had a spot.

For the summer after graduation, I definitely wish I got a better-paying job. I screwed myself a little bit. It was a good opportunity but the pay wasn't where it should have been for my skillset. I also think I wish I had spent more time with my family and friends. Trying to be an adult and now that I'm in school and on my own, definitely miss some family time. Though since I live relatively close I have been making a conscious effort to find time to go home for a few hours to see my parents. But if you're going to have to move away for school, make sure you have a solid support system for you.

I also wished I traveled more. I wanted to travel but didn't have the money due to the reasons above.

My advice would be to those applying:
Try to not stress about things you don't have control over. It can feel like a really good idea to constantly try and contact admissions and hound them with questions about your app. But they're managing 1000s of applications and trying to find the best students for their class. If you haven't been rejected yet, you're under consideration. That's what matters. And until that rejection comes in, you're going to be considered for the class.

I would also say that now is a fantastic time to learn how to live on your own if that's your plan. Learn how to cook, do your laundry, finances, and just how to be an adult. They really don't baby you anymore in dental school and expect you to be professional. So just get into good habits now so you don't have any problems come school time would be some good advice.

Just try to get things done now that you've been wanting to do!
you mean that one should trust the process?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your opportunities to travel will come. Do you have a full summer break with no classes after D1 exams, presuming you slay the exams? Plenty of D2 "what I did last summer" social media posts... :)

Attachments

• 20230922_085321_0000.png
    20230922_085321_0000.png
    100.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Your opportunities to travel will come. Do you have a full summer break with no classes after D1 exams, presuming you slay the exams? Plenty of D2 "what I did last summer" social media posts... :)
Yeah, we end D1 in May, have about 5 days off, and start D2 summer term which runs May to mid-July and then we get about 6 weeks off or so before picking up after Labor Day. That's pretty much our last full break, the rest are just your typical holiday breaks.

any bs classes in your D1? Is there anything new that you didn't know before attending dental school? Have you memorized all variations and exceptions for all the teeth lol

any bs classes in your D1? Is there anything new that you didn't know before attending dental school? Have you memorized all variations and exceptions for all the teeth lol
1. Yes lol, a couple. But they're pass/fail and relatively straightforward. The information they provide in the class is actually pretty good, some of it is public health-related, practice management, etc. But they can be time-consuming classes sometimes. But they're really not that bad.

2. Maybe just what exactly I'm capable of as a student. I was pretty nervous about the courseload and managing my time. I also had a pretty tough senior year and didn't do as well as I would have liked so I was feeling academically underprepared. But once school started and I got a feel for everything, I found that it really hasn't been too bad. The pace is manageable. Otherwise, with SDN and talking to a lot of upperclassmen the summer before school, there really wasn't anything 'new' for me. A lot of schools run similarly but have their own quirks it seems.

3. Not yet. We're just through anterior teeth - incisors/canines! Working on premolars. There's so much variation in teeth. Comparing mine to perfect anatomy I realize how bad my teeth are 😂

1. Yes lol, a couple. But they're pass/fail and relatively straightforward. The information they provide in the class is actually pretty good, some of it is public health-related, practice management, etc. But they can be time-consuming classes sometimes. But they're really not that bad.

2. Maybe just what exactly I'm capable of as a student. I was pretty nervous about the courseload and managing my time. I also had a pretty tough senior year and didn't do as well as I would have liked so I was feeling academically underprepared. But once school started and I got a feel for everything, I found that it really hasn't been too bad. The pace is manageable. Otherwise, with SDN and talking to a lot of upperclassmen the summer before school, there really wasn't anything 'new' for me. A lot of schools run similarly but have their own quirks it seems.

3. Not yet. We're just through anterior teeth - incisors/canines! Working on premolars. There's so much variation in teeth. Comparing mine to perfect anatomy I realize how bad my teeth are 😂
how are your classmates?
are you folks past the "honeymoon phase" yet?

how are your classmates?
are you folks past the "honeymoon phase" yet?
My classmates are awesome. We’re all very friendly and collaborative. Everyone helps everyone which is what I love about my school. Even those I don’t know as well I still feel like I can walk up and ask questions or have a conversation with no problems. Definitely one of the reasons why I chose UMN as they try and foster this type of environment right away during orientation.

I don’t think we’re past the honeymoon phase just yet. Previous years tell us that usually comes second semester when they drown us with courses lol.

My classmates are awesome. We’re all very friendly and collaborative. Everyone helps everyone which is what I love about my school. Even those I don’t know as well I still feel like I can walk up and ask questions or have a conversation with no problems. Definitely one of the reasons why I chose UMN as they try and foster this type of environment right away during orientation.

I don’t think we’re past the honeymoon phase just yet. Previous years tell us that usually comes second semester when they drown us with courses lol.
the "honeymoon period" is where everyone loves each other and is excited to be there
it's over when the cliques form and the sniping starts...

Hey predents, as the cycle is just starting to heat up, I thought I'd try and extend a little AMA for you guys.

I'm about a month and a half into my D1 year at the University of Minnesota. I realize this isn't a full year under the belt. Still, even before I started I was pretty nervous about how to manage the dense courseload, transition to being a professional student, work/life balance, taking out a ton of money in loans/finances (and how that all works), and of course, the dreaded waxing.

I'll try my best to answer as many questions as I can. If there's anything I can do/say to help calm some nerves about applying/enrolling/and starting dental school, I'd like to be a resource for you!

If you are curious about my stats/schools I got into, my WAMC/Stats is linked in my signature.
What major would you recommend? The only dental school in Virginia is VCU and would you recommend someone to study undergrad and dental there in the same univ? What is your opinion about guaranteed admission programs where you are accepted into a dental and undergrad together and possible finish quicker.

What major would you recommend? The only dental school in Virginia is VCU and would you recommend someone to study undergrad and dental there in the same univ? What is your opinion about guaranteed admission programs where you are accepted into a dental and undergrad together and possible finish quicker.
Read

I'm in high school right now. Any tips to get me ready for dental or undergrad? Should I start doing shadowing hours? I am in 2 clubs right now and a potential treasurer next year for a club.

Last edited:
Major doesn’t matter, but if you’re trying to knock out two birds with one stone, a major in the biological sciences usually covers all prereqs for dental school within the major. I was a Biochem major and the only course I had to take that wasn’t required for my major but was a prerequisite was psychology.

I studied undergrad at my dental schools university. A very large portion of my class also went to a University of Minnesota school. However I can’t speak on behalf of other state schools in how they pick their students. If you want to attend VCU then I would attend if you like the school. Mitigating as much debt as possible in undergrad is important since dental schools are so expensive.

Most of the schools that have guaranteed acceptance programs for dental schools are really expensive. UPenn, Nova, UoP are all incredibly expensive schools. Personally I don’t recommend it just because it limits you to one school, but if you managed to get into one and the requirements aren’t too outrageous to maintain and achieve then maybe it’s worth it so you don’t have to stress about applying and spending all that money.
I'm in high school right now. Any tips to get me ready for dental or undergrad? Should I start doing shadowing hours? I am in 2 clubs right now and a potential treasurer next year for a club.
Nothing you do in highschool will count for dental school, so don’t stress about that. Just focus on getting good grades and trying to learn how to study effectively and in a short time period. I took a ton of honors/AP classes in highschool and that helped me be prepared when I got to college to handle the courseload and accelerate quickly into getting good grades. The transition from highschool to college can be challenging for some, so putting the work in during highschool made it easier for me.

You could shadow now if you really wanted to, but those hours won’t really count when you’re applying to dental school. But it could be a good idea just to get a feel for it and if it’s still something you’d want to do. Your clubs won’t count either, only for college admissions. But I’d keep doing them since it helps learn leadership experience and can be transitioned over to a college club once you start.

Major doesn’t matter, but if you’re trying to knock out two birds with one stone, a major in the biological sciences usually covers all prereqs for dental school within the major. I was a Biochem major and the only course I had to take that wasn’t required for my major but was a prerequisite was psychology.

I studied undergrad at my dental schools university. A very large portion of my class also went to a University of Minnesota school. However I can’t speak on behalf of other state schools in how they pick their students. If you want to attend VCU then I would attend if you like the school. Mitigating as much debt as possible in undergrad is important since dental schools are so expensive.

Most of the schools that have guaranteed acceptance programs for dental schools are really expensive. UPenn, Nova, UoP are all incredibly expensive schools. Personally I don’t recommend it just because it limits you to one school, but if you managed to get into one and the requirements aren’t too outrageous to maintain and achieve then maybe it’s worth it so you don’t have to stress about applying and spending all that money.

Nothing you do in highschool will count for dental school, so don’t stress about that. Just focus on getting good grades and trying to learn how to study effectively and in a short time period. I took a ton of honors/AP classes in highschool and that helped me be prepared when I got to college to handle the courseload and accelerate quickly into getting good grades. The transition from highschool to college can be challenging for some, so putting the work in during highschool made it easier for me.

You could shadow now if you really wanted to, but those hours won’t really count when you’re applying to dental school. But it could be a good idea just to get a feel for it and if it’s still something you’d want to do. Your clubs won’t count either, only for college admissions. But I’d keep doing them since it helps learn leadership experience and can be transitioned over to a college club once you start.
Thank you very much. I appreciate the response very much.