AMA: Second year done

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faux

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Incoming d1 here. Is there anything you wish you had known if you were in my shoes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice specific to UB you could offer?

Everyone here is pretty helpful, so be the same and pass it down. Don't be afraid to ask your big for help. Other than that, you'll be fine. Just work hard and it'll show in your grades.

Incoming d1 here. Is there anything you wish you had known if you were in my shoes?

Enjoy the peaceful/off days. Not everything has to be about grades. Hang out with your classmates, they'll be more of a family than your own, since you'll be seeing them for countless hours lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone here is pretty helpful, so be the same and pass it down. Don't be afraid to ask your big for help. Other than that, you'll be fine. Just work hard and it'll show in your grades.
Thanks, a few more if you don't mind. Do you find your big to be a good match? Are you planning on specializing? Is there a cutthroat vibe among the class?

Thanks, a few more if you don't mind. Do you find your big to be a good match? Are you planning on specializing? Is there a cutthroat vibe among the class?

Yea me and my big are good matches and I'd like to think I'm a good match for my two littles. I help them out when I can and they're always free to ask me whatever they want, whenever they want. They still reach out so I must be doing something right.

No cut throat vibes, most of us share whatever extra resources. Good atmosphere.

I don't plan on specializing. I came in wanting to do general and still want to. Then again I'm starting clinic for the first time soon so we'll see. I've definitely enjoyed all my lab classes and didn't show a particular preference.

Yea me and my big are good matches and I'd like to think I'm a good match for my two littles. I help them out when I can and they're always free to ask me whatever they want, whenever they want. They still reach out so I must be doing something right.

No cut throat vibes, most of us share whatever extra resources. Good atmosphere.

I don't plan on specializing. I came in wanting to do general and still want to. Then again I'm starting clinic for the first time soon so we'll see. I've definitely enjoyed all my lab classes and didn't show a particular preference.
Great to know, thank you. How did you end up with two littles?

So I don't have the UB school year schedule in front of me but I remember reading that the spring semester finishes sometime in May and then it said some thing about D2, D3 and I think D4s doing some other stuff until June. This confused me a little... Do you have a longer summer break as a D1 and then its shorter in upper years?

Maybe I just cant read.

So I don't have the UB school year schedule in front of me but I remember reading that the spring semester finishes sometime in May and then it said some thing about D2, D3 and I think D4s doing some other stuff until June. This confused me a little... Do you have a longer summer break as a D1 and then its shorter in upper years?

Maybe I just cant read.

Spring semester ends first week of may. Then early fall begins(D1s become D2s, ect).

Is there anything you had wished you had done the summer before to prepare for dental school? Also at UB do you buy your own scrubs or do you buy them through the school?

Is there anything you had wished you had done the summer before to prepare for dental school? Also at UB do you buy your own scrubs or do you buy them through the school?

I traveled and took a cruise with my gf the summer before DS. Wish we traveled more.

You will be taught everything you need to know. Don't study beforehand. Study gross anatomy during orientation and have some fun too.

I buy my own scrubs. you get two free scrubs for gross anatomy.

I thought of a couple more questions:
1. I'm looking for a place to rent by myself, any suggestions of where to look? I remember when I came for my interview there was an area near the school that did not look so great
2. Do you have a car? Are places pretty accessible if you don't have one?

I'm still on the fence about the whole car thing...would be convenient, but also added cost.

I thought of a couple more questions:
1. I'm looking for a place to rent by myself, any suggestions of where to look? I remember when I came for my interview there was an area near the school that did not look so great
2. Do you have a car? Are places pretty accessible if you don't have one?

I'm still on the fence about the whole car thing...would be convenient, but also added cost.

1. I live right across the street at university courts. Some homeless people here and there through out the year in the area. I'm from NYC, so nothin out of the norm for me. Lots of local spots near by and I wake up at 7:40 for class at 8am. Loved it during second year where I had lots of lab work.

2. I have a car, I feel like is some what needed but i have a class mate in the same building that doesn't have a car and seems to be doing ok.

Thanks for taking the time for these. Would you mind describing how much you studied outside of class during a typical week? Just so we can see how much time you actually have to do other things like the gym or hanging with friends.

Thanks for taking the time for these. Would you mind describing how much you studied outside of class during a typical week? Just so we can see how much time you actually have to do other things like the gym or hanging with friends.
on this note, can you disclose grades you normally get or rank among your class? Time studied would change depending on what grades you're shooting for and stuff like that I'm sure

Honestly, I'm still learning how to study. For the last 4 semesters, I've done flash cards which can be a bit time consuming, also watched video lectures whenever available. During the last two months, I've simply did the power points and excellent written notes from a classmate and did just fine on midterms and finals. So hopefully those notes keep coming and i won't spend as much time studying as i did before.

During D1 i had enough time to do monthly trips back to NYC. Hanged out occasionally too and started doing gym during D2. Theres time for fun.

on this note, can you disclose grades you normally get or rank among your class? Time studied would change depending on what grades you're shooting for and stuff like that I'm sure

I have a 3.0 and rank right in the middle of my class.

No +/- at my school, which is incredibly frustrating because i've had several 89s, even in lab courses, but got bumped to a 80/3.0.

Are you excited for clinic?

Of course, scared too but I'm glad to be done with pre-clinic. i keep hearing positive things about the transition, looking forward to it and hopefully everythings plays out ok.

Honestly, I'm still learning how to study. For the last 4 semesters, I've done flash cards which can be a bit time consuming, also watched video lectures whenever available. During the last two months, I've simply did the power points and excellent written notes from a classmate and did just fine on midterms and finals. So hopefully those notes keep coming and i won't spend as much time studying as i did before.

During D1 i had enough time to do monthly trips back to NYC. Hanged out occasionally too and started doing gym during D2. Theres time for fun.

I have a 3.0 and rank right in the middle of my class.

No +/- at my school, which is incredibly frustrating because i've had several 89s, even in lab courses, but got bumped to a 80/3.0.
If you don't mind sharing, what was your undergraduate GPA and how does the effort/amount of studying compare? Also have you enjoyed the faculty at UB?

Of course, scared too but I'm glad to be done with pre-clinic. i keep hearing positive things about the transition, looking forward to it and hopefully everythings plays out ok.
What are you most scared about?

If you don't mind sharing, what was your undergraduate GPA and how does the effort/amount of studying compare? Also have you enjoyed the faculty at UB?

3.5 undergrad. I think the material was harder in undergrad. Dental school is just a lot more volume and the issue of juggling lab work. I haven't had any issues with UB faculty. Many of them are extremely passionate. Some of them are even dental role models for me.

What are you most scared about?

Just moving from typodont work to someone with an actual pulse.