AMA: So I woke up...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What Step score would give a DO a reasonable chance at a ACGME Gas residency?

I got an answer for you... not exactly what you are looking for, but hopefully this helps.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Osteopathic-2016.pdf

Great resource from the 2016 NRMP match specifically tailored to Osteopathic Medical applicants!

DO match rate into MD Anesthesia: 89%

Average COMLEX 1: 566 matched, 518 unmatchd

Average COMLEX 2: 579 matched, 517 unmatched

Doesn't provide a USMLE average, unfortunately.

Will keep looking.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
You mentioned you used a rotation to get your research in for gas, was this during 3rd year or 4rth year?

I'm considering using an elective for clinical research as well.. but I don't know which year it would be best utilized (w/ regards to timeline for ERAS application.)

The earlier the better. Head-to-head, time in the OR is probably more valuable, however a research elective is an excellent idea. Late in your third year would probably allow enough time for publications to be finalized/accepted by journal(s)... best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
D.O. HPSP AF application in process here. Few questions:

How's the lifestyle as a FS stateside and also when deployed?
Was it difficult to apply/interview for residencies amidst active duty?
When did you do the officer commission training (can't remember exact name)? Was it difficult to study for boards when you had this extra step?

Questions about the mix of military and medicine (excuse my ignorance)

I am a senior in high school planning on pursuing medicine as a career. I'm frankly ignorant on the more detailed parts of both medical school and the military but was very intrigued by your story, as it seems to align very closely with my own interests. I am very interested in serving in the military as a way to both pay off student loans and serve my country. I was curious when you joined the military? Did you get your undergraduate degree first? Do you have any specific tips or pointers, anything you would have done differently? How exactly does the combination work?

When did you do the officer commission training (can't remember exact name)? Was it difficult to study for boards when you had this extra step?

+1 bump!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Busy clinic work but pretty easy. No overnights or weekends. Federal holidays. My hours were typically 7-5 or so.

I did COT In 2009. I took boards (Step/Level 1) before I went to this, and most people complete that training before they start Med school. It may burn a vacation month

It didn't interfere with residency interviews but if you go to the milmed forum to read about the implications of the military match, you will see that the military commitment can delay getting into residency at all, which is how I became a flight surgeon.

Hi!

I'm in incoming OMS-I. Why did you choose Gas over other specialties? What did you initially think you would pursue when you were an incoming OMS-1 yourself? What changed along the way? I have never thought about Gas as something I would be interested in because from what I have read it is a pharmacology heavy specialty, and is very medical science based as opposed to say EM or FM which is more clinical science based (at least this is the characterization I have read by on SDN). Ultimately, I really don't know how to discover if I like or fit Gas before clinical rotations come around.

Thanks for any insight.

Hi!

I'm in incoming OMS-I. Why did you choose Gas over other specialties? What did you initially think you would pursue when you were an incoming OMS-1 yourself? What changed along the way? I have never thought about Gas as something I would be interested in because from what I have read it is a pharmacology heavy specialty, and is very medical science based as opposed to say EM or FM which is more clinical science based (at least this is the characterization I have read by on SDN). Ultimately, I really don't know how to discover if I like or fit Gas before clinical rotations come around.

Thanks for any insight.

I chose anesthesia bc it rocks, but I certainly had zero idea that I wanted to do it.

When I went to medical school, I planned on FP or Peds. It was only because I had to choose a "surgical selective" at PCOM that I stumbled upon Anesthesiology. On day one, I was interested. On day two, I was hooked.

My advice is to go into rotations with an open mind. If you have some suspicion that you may like a competitive speciality, try to get an early elective in that specialty to set yourself up for success... just don't be surprised if your mind changes a few times during your clinical clerkship/rotations.