Amazing!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drpduck

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just spent my first day at the UMaryland dental clinic, and I loved it!!! The dentists were all extremely nice and explained the procedures and diagnosis they had for each patient. Not only does it make me more excited about dentistry, I can't wait till I go back next week!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there drpduck!!

I'm applying to Maryland this year. Glad to see that you're having such a great time. Can I ask what year are you? Maryland is probably my #1 choice right now (Maryland resident). Can you give us some more insight about your perspective on the school?

student life??
curriculum?
research opportunities in dental public health/epidemiology? <--- Something I know I want to do in dental school.
facilities (ie. labs, library, etc.)?

Thanks! :D

drpduck,

Glad to hear that you had a good experience! I've found that sometimes I am struggling so hard to reach my end goal (whether getting into dental school, getting interviews, getting good grades, or obtaining the dental degree) that I become completely blinded as to my real goals. Observing and assisting in clinics really helps to clear the dust out of my eyes and reassure me as to why I'm putting forth so much effort.

My father found the same thing to be true. He is on the admissions committee at a medical school, and always encourages the 1st and 2nd year students to take a break from the constant studying to visit with patients or take a patients chart. The patient contact seems to revitalize the soul and remind us why we are doing what we are doing!

I'm glad to hear that you got your juices flowing -- don't forget that feeling of excitement because it's what you are striving for! Thanks for the cool post. :)

Well I have only spent a limited time at UMaryland and only at the hospital (a little bit of volunteering). I can say the hospital is a very pleasent experience, with most of the staff willing to explain things. My dentist went to UMaryland and his son is currently D-3 there. I have not yet visited the dental school, however most of the graduates I have encountered from UMaryland seem to be excellent clinically. There seems to be a steady flow of patients with varying problems, so I guess you could say that is good for the dental students to get exposure to a wide variety of conditions. Overall I would say the campus seems nice, with a good location to a variety of things ( a close walk to Camden Yards and Ravens Stadium). I won't be applying until 2004, but I would say UMaryland is my top choice.