Amblyopia vs. Strabismus

Started by jc812
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jc812

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am reading a case study and while I understand the basic definition of these words, I am not able to distinguish completely between the two.

Amblyopia: a defect in brain development that causes a decrease in VA (amongst others) --> chemical

Strabimus: misalignment in eyes --> physical

Is this right? Amblyopic patients will demonstrate strabismus.. always or just sometimes?

Thanks for the clarification
 
I am reading a case study and while I understand the basic definition of these words, I am not able to distinguish completely between the two.

Amblyopia: a defect in brain development that causes a decrease in VA (amongst others) --> chemical

Strabimus: misalignment in eyes --> physical

Is this right? Amblyopic patients will demonstrate strabismus.. always or just sometimes?

Thanks for the clarification

Amblyopia can be caused by multiple etiologies. It is defined as a reduction of visual acuity not correctable by normal means. It is usually a 2 line acuity difference between the eyes. Note that amblyopes also have other binocular vision problems.

Two main types are;
Refractive Amblyopia: caused when one eye has a much larger RX than the other and the cells of the visual cortex don't develop as strongly for the worse eye.
Strabismic amblyopia: caused by a deviating eye, same brain stuff

There is also relative amblyopia, occlusion amblyopia and others.

That is an over simplified look but perhaps helps.