ambulatory care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyface68

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
does anyone happen to know the process of establishing an ambulatory care pharmacy clinic? or any information would be fine. thanks ahead! :)

Members don't see this ad.

There's lots of new information about these practice settings.

A few questions though....what state are you in?

Are you asking specifically because you're interested in doing this (very, very hard privately) or you're doing a paper or preparing for an interview???

It depends on what you want to accomplish with this setting. If you're attempting to make a living & live in an urban metropolitan area & don't have the backing of a large chain.....you'll look very much like a retail pharmacy.

However.....if any of those things are different, it could be very different indeed.

For one of the first - google the Asheville Project. This has been a 10 yr study of one very small, isolated, but dedicated project in NC. I believe it was started by a UNC pharmacy resident & has paid off tremendously for that population.

But - again - this was an isolated & unique setting. However, there are lots of articles which are being written about this. The problems are legal, regulatory & reimbursement issues.

Good luck!

i live in southern california, and i do plan to have my own independent clinical pharmacy if possible. would i need to have affiliations with a hospital or corporate chain so that primary care providers could refer the patients to me? has anyone else done this in southern california btw? what about reimbursement issues? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
i live in southern california, and i do plan to have my own independent clinical pharmacy if possible. would i need to have affiliations with a hospital or corporate chain so that primary care providers could refer the patients to me? has anyone else done this in southern california btw? what about reimbursement issues? thanks!

It seems to me that Zpak was the independent pharmacy guru. Perhaps when he gets tired of the Pill pusher and decides it's okay to hang around with us unpopular guys you may get some good input on private clinical pharmacy. Not that anyone else where wouldn't have good input. He just seems to keep up on this area.

There are lots of opportunities in ambulatory care--both for practices located within a pharmacy and in other "typical" clinic settings. You can practice alone, as part of a physician practice, etc and the way you are compensated partially depends on where you are located. The types of services you offer will depend on your personal preferences and your state (as mentioned by SDN1977). For more information:
-check out the pharmacy organizations websites--they have more info about opportunities in amb care and you can learn more about Medication Therapy Management Services (MTMS) (name given by Medicare to these types of services)
-another resource is PSTAC (pharmacist services technical advisory coalition). This will provide more info about compensation mechanisms.

There are lots of steps in establishing a practice of any kind. You may want to consider shadowing a pharmacist who has gone through the process and also a residency with an emphasis in amb care. (many programs involve residents in implementing new services to help you learn these skills)

Actually, I think Zpak has always been hospital based, but had a friend in an independent retail setting in S CA.

However, if you really want to be an independent pharmacy owner in S Ca - you'll have to become really well versed in the finance & changing financial picture for reimbursement.

We are moving away from an AWP based pricing to an AMP based pricing for drugs. Likewise...that reimbursement is so low, you'll really have to offer something besides drug distribution.

If you want to do MTM management....I'd really suggest you need to do an ambulatory care residency. You'll have to have great cliniical skills &/or become specialized - like become a CDE. Reimbursement for that & the concomitant liability has yet to be ironed out. We've also not ironed out in CA who, exactly, is skilled enough to offer these services well & in a manner which can be relied upon & trusted by primary care providers.

That brings up the issue of credentialling, which is being talked about here. I don't have a crystal ball, but not just any pharmacist will be able to do & bill for MTM management services - it will require some kind of credentialling to do so.

No - you don't need hospital affiliation (hospitals don't make any money on outpt pharmacies). But...you will need to get out there & devote time, energy & skill in getting in touch with primary care providers - physicians & either their NP's or PA's. You'll also have to devote money to investing in some kind of electronic medical records systems so you can send & get information back & forth readily.

Unfortunately, in S CA - there are lots of big "clinics" - groups of physicians of all kinds - IM, ortho, nephrology, OB-GYN, peds....all grouped together - sometimes throughout a city (The Harriman-Jones group in Long Beach) comes to mind. They have their own anticoagulation service (pharmacist run), lipid clinic, diabetes clinic, etc...so none of their pts would be available to you since they already have that service provided through this group their physician belongs to. Kaiser is exactly like that as well.

You'll need to do a good demographic study of the area & I'd suggest professional help before you invest any money.

However, as a student.....here are some things you can do - join your student chapters of CSHP & CPhA - we are hoping in time these will merge!!!! Investigate a residency in ambulatory care - the best ones in CA are within the Kaiser setting - unfortunately. However, there are some throughout the country which are non-hospital system based. Some I've seen are in a Walgreens-type setting & some are in a completely independent setting. Just remember - you can't translate from one economy to another. But, keep your mind open - you might just want to move to that kind of economy which more readily supports an independent practice.

Good luck - but do join the associations, become involved in the student affiliations & GO TO THE MEETINGS! Listen to what is being talked about. That will help you know what's coming, who the movers & shakers are within this state & help you start networking - which you'll have to develop a skill for.

Good luck!!!

thanks everyone for giving valuable inputs!! i sort of have an idea of what to do next now. at first, i was worried about the possibility of having an amcare clinical pharmacy in SoCal!! i guess it involves a lot of hard work, but the outcome is all worth the while! THANKS!! any other information/links would be extremely helpful!

Are credentials for specialization? where and how can I get these credentials? Thanks!

Are credentials for specialization? where and how can I get these credentials? Thanks!

no credentialling yet (unless you want to become an academy fellow). But - credentialling will be in the future - I'm certain in one way or another.

Otherwise this whole MTM idea will fizzle & die away - which is indeed an equal possibility!!!

How do you get it (or get to know about it)? Get involved in your organizations!

hi all, i live in S CA, Orange country and are currently looking for an intern pharmacist position in the hospital or amb. care position but so far i have no luck. i'm a 2nd year students. any recommendation???? i'm so desperate. please help. thanks a bunch