1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Ambulatory or Inpatient?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by gammaknife, Aug 18, 2011.

1. gammaknife

2+ Year Member

I have worked in walgreens for a long time and currently working for a hospital as an inpatient Pharmacist. I have been offered an ambulatory position and I am not sure whether to accept the ambulatory position. I am worried if i'll like it? and how the reimbursement for amb care will work in the future. If I take up the amb care position, whether I can get back into inpatient pharmacy in the future if I want to. Any advise please? Thank you

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LazyMooch

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    1) Compare the compensation packages.
    2) Shadow an amublatory pharmacist for a shift or two and ask them the pros and cons of the job. You're never too old or experienced to shadow.

4. gammaknife

2+ Year Member

the compensation part is the same and doesn't affect me much coz they don't pay much in hospital:D I won't be able to shadow coz it is a diff hospital and my hospital doesn't have one. So I am looking for advise from any amb pharmacists too.

5. spacecowgirl

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    What would your job description be?

6. PumpkinSmasher

PumpkinSmasher Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I don't know if it is possible with this position but I do inpatient and ambulatory at the hospital I am at. The ambulatory component is small but steadily expanding. I enjoy the variety. I think one day if possible I would like to transition to a ambulatory/managed care full time role.

7. gammaknife

2+ Year Member

The ambulatory job I have been offered is mainly to work in anticoag clinic and with little inpatient pharmacy. There are other clinics like renal transplant but i don't think they will allow me there with only PharmD;)

8. gammaknife

2+ Year Member

Are you planning to do a residency or bcps for your ambulatory position? I haven't heard positively about doing a residency in Ambulatory and community care. That's also one reason for my hesitation