Ambulatory or Inpatient?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gammaknife

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have worked in walgreens for a long time and currently working for a hospital as an inpatient Pharmacist. I have been offered an ambulatory position and I am not sure whether to accept the ambulatory position. I am worried if i'll like it? and how the reimbursement for amb care will work in the future. If I take up the amb care position, whether I can get back into inpatient pharmacy in the future if I want to. Any advise please? Thank you
 
1) Compare the compensation packages.
2) Shadow an amublatory pharmacist for a shift or two and ask them the pros and cons of the job. You're never too old or experienced to shadow.
 
the compensation part is the same and doesn't affect me much coz they don't pay much in hospital😀 I won't be able to shadow coz it is a diff hospital and my hospital doesn't have one. So I am looking for advise from any amb pharmacists too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know if it is possible with this position but I do inpatient and ambulatory at the hospital I am at. The ambulatory component is small but steadily expanding. I enjoy the variety. I think one day if possible I would like to transition to a ambulatory/managed care full time role.
 
I don't know if it is possible with this position but I do inpatient and ambulatory at the hospital I am at. The ambulatory component is small but steadily expanding. I enjoy the variety. I think one day if possible I would like to transition to a ambulatory/managed care full time role.

The ambulatory job I have been offered is mainly to work in anticoag clinic and with little inpatient pharmacy. There are other clinics like renal transplant but i don't think they will allow me there with only PharmD😉
 
I don't know if it is possible with this position but I do inpatient and ambulatory at the hospital I am at. The ambulatory component is small but steadily expanding. I enjoy the variety. I think one day if possible I would like to transition to a ambulatory/managed care full time role.

Are you planning to do a residency or bcps for your ambulatory position? I haven't heard positively about doing a residency in Ambulatory and community care. That's also one reason for my hesitation