Amcas 3r

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainJack02

let's stir and shake
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the free MCAT 3R sample test from the AMCAS website..sheesh, spent a beautiful saturday morning taking a test...
anyway, i scored a 33, which i am thrilled about cuz this is my 1st practice test...so my question is, how real is the 3R compared to the real deal? im shooting for a 35 so a 33 puts me just about where i wanna be...but am i getting overexcited about this? is the 3R pretty much the same level as the MCAT? im still deciding whether i want to buy the 80 dollar package or get 3r-6r on paper from ebay...
any input is much appreciated...
oh, and im also thinking about buying the examkrackers book...would buying it with the test a month away do me any good?

peace
captain jack..is getting you high tonite :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey man, I don't want rain on your good score, but it is generally believed that 3r is easy and scored easily. Most of the people whining around here about getting 30's on practice tests and 20's on the real thing are refering to 3r. I don't know why AAMC hasn't sone something about it. I have heard anywhere from 4-10 point inflations. I took it 2 wks before the real MCAT and scored 3 point higher on it than the real thing (but I studied a lot for those two weeks). One girl in my TPR class got a 28 on 6r and a 38 on 3r two days later.

I think 2r and 6r and most representitive. Just my opinion......

The VR is very easy, the BS is easy, and the PS is on par I think compared with 4R and 5R. The 6R FL is a whole other beast (especially VR).

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with everyone else. 33 is a nice starting score. Helps build a little confidence. Means you can consider working hard on your own prep without a course, and might be OK in 4 weeks for the August MCAT.

35 on the real thing is a whole other thing. Can you do that reproducibly (i.e. no matter which of your least favorite topics show up on the test)? Can you deal with the sleepless night before and the nerves on the day of the test? Do you have the confidence and timing that if you get slammed with really hard stuff, you will be able to move quickly and finish the sections?

You need practice, and you only have 4 weeks left. Buy the best materials you can get delivered instantly (probably EK and the online AAMC tests). If you can consistently score 35+ on EK and AAMC full-lengths, then you are on target to do 30+ on the real thing.

Assuming someone scores 35 or higher on each of the 3 EK practice tests, they should be dissapointed with a 30 on the real thing.

If I'm scoring 35 on 3 consecutive practice EK practice tests, I want a 35 on the real thing. I expect to be somewhere in the 33-37 range.

Originally posted by meanderson
Assuming someone scores 35 or higher on each of the 3 EK practice tests, they should be dissapointed with a 30 on the real thing.

If I'm scoring 35 on 3 consecutive practice EK practice tests, I want a 35 on the real thing. I expect to be somewhere in the 33-37 range.

I agree w/ that. I have a feeling that the people who scored really well on the practice exams but were dissapointed in their mcat score just didn't test well that day.

Also, we should all remember that most of the answers and advice given regarding mcat exams are anecdotal (which is good) and based on other people's anecdotal opinions.

Originally posted by thackl

I think 2r and 6r and most representitive. Just my opinion......

2r?!? no way... i know people who got 40+ scores on 2r and got nowhere near that on the actual test. 4-6r are the most representative of the actual mcat, and kaplan makes sure to emphasize that fact. mcat has gotten progressively more difficult over the last 10 years, so boosting your confidence with fluff like 2r will do more harm than good. stick to the later tests.

Originally posted by indo
I agree w/ that. I have a feeling that the people who scored really well on the practice exams but were dissapointed in their mcat score just didn't test well that day.

Also, we should all remember that most of the answers and advice given regarding mcat exams are anecdotal (which is good) and based on other people's anecdotal opinions.

The April MCAT was kind of strange for me and my freinds at TPR. Those of us doing very well going into it (33+) were disappointed with 29-32 and those who were struggling (couldn't break 27) ended up with 29-32??? I called it the "share the wealth MCAT". I was sure one of my freinds was going to get a 35+ and he ended up with a 30. Another freind who though he was going to have to use his 1/8th native american status and bl$w someone on an ADCOM got a 31. You just never know.

I took the AAMC practice test 3 today and got a V6, P11, B12
down from V9, P12, B12 I got on practice test 5 two days ago. I guess my problem was underestimating it when taking it and not focusing on the damn thing. Or I guess I didn't see it as easy as most of you guys think it is.

Don't feel so bad. One thing I have learned is that my mind is tempermental. Some days it works, some days it doesn't. My practice tests have been all over the place as far as which sections I do well in. I don't seem to have a consistent performance on any of 'em. I guess it just depends on whether or not I am "on" that day.

Oh Lord, Please let me be " on " on MCAT day.