AMCAS activity summaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nick_carraway

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For AMCAS activity summaries, are you supposed to simply write about your duties or are you supposed to spruce it up and give a reason for doing the activity, an anecdote, and what you got from it?

Members don't see this ad.

For AMCAS activity summaries, are you supposed to simply write about your duties or are you supposed to spruce it up and give a reason for doing the activity, an anecdote, and what you got from it?

What you did, how long you did it, and what you got out of it. I'll say about three pretty long sentences would well-describe your activities.

no need to say how long.. there is a separate section for that

Members don't see this ad :)
according to my pre-med advisor it really depends on what the activity was. if it is something standard, like dean's list, or emt training, you don't really need to write anything (but maybe where you did your clinical hours for emt training). if it is something pretty unique, or something a lot of applicants won't have, or something that medical schools likely won't be familiar with, you should describe what you did with 4-5 sentences and also describe what you got out of the experience (I learned x skill, or this experience taught me x about what i want to do). Basically, if you are going to use most of the space you are given, make sure what you did is interesting enough that the adcoms will want to read it, or they will be annoyed that it's long.