AMCAS and post-secondary experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brats800

cheesehead
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm trying to think of what to put for my 15 post-secondary experiences on the AMCAS application....did you who have applied fill all 15 experiences? did you use college jobs as the experiences (if you worked 4 or 5 jobs over the course of college, this could be 5 blanks right there, right?) also, i will be taking a year off after graduation. can i include volunteering / work that i will be doing if i am starting it right around when i submit the application? any and all information about this would help. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I remember when I asked basically the same question last year. Time goes by so fast...

Anyways, first you don't need to fill up all 15 spots. Just put the ones that are most meaningful to you. I did use 2 college jobs as two seperate slots. Each activity can use different slots. However, if you played IM sports different years, I would lump all of them together.

You can include stuff that you will be doing. I did this because I was going to a summer program while applying. Just make sure you actually complete what you said you were going to complete and get the times right.

You don't need to fill in all the 15 slots. I would go so far as to say you shoudn't. The important experiences get lost in the others. Pick the ones you think are the most important and that highlight things your application may not have brought out or will in some way make you memorable. Be sure you can discuss anything you put down in an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
for sure put your paid jobs. but maybe not all of them. put the most important. but make sure its clear that you worked during college.

no, dont need to fill all 15. yes, you could put things u will be doing and expected end dates for current/future activities.

make sure your explainations tie back to some type of quality a dr. should have. like leadership, organizational, multitask, etc...just like a job resume.

docmemi,

what if you still are in a post secondary experience (i.e, it hasn't ended!)

AMCAS requires you to put an end date. That doesn't make sense!

Any way around that??