AMCAS Application "Course Work" Question - Pls HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C U in MD school

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok people, I really need your help...
I don't really understand this course work section. The thing keeps changing the year on me after I choose it. So, what year do we chose? Do we chose the year/term that is on our transc. and let the web application miss it up? or do we try and put in the right wrong year so that it gives you matched up year for with your transc.?
I have no idea what to do. any help would be great! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think I remember the same thing. What it does is go by the school year. Say you took a class in the spring semester and it started in Jan 1998. It will be considered 1997 spring semester because it is in the 1997 school year. School year 1997 spring semester starts in 1998.

hope this helps

yeah.. put it in the way you took the classes and let the system change it. I have been having problems with the system changing the order that I type the classes in.. anyone else having this problem??

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent several hours entering courses in the order they appear on my transcript. However, does anyone know why the order of courses is messed up when I print the application?

This is a typical question that applicants ask... Try checking on the "SCHOOL YEAR" don't enter the actual year you took it.... It should correct itself and put it in order for you.... Good Luck in double checking your apps.

Thank you for the great advice so far... but, Im still having the same problem. After I use the "calender year" from my trasct. the thing does change and the everyting is out of order. somehow I just dont think that is right. What are you all doing?

hey, i just entered the year AFTER i took the course so that it would show up ok. for example if i took a course spring 99 i'd enter spring 2000. it shows up as spring 99, which is what matches with my transcript. is this ok? i don't care if it wants to order it a certain way. this thing is a PROGRAM with no brain. just enter it the way that makes it clear to the people who presumably DO have brains.

hi pimpMD. I am having the same problem. The order on the printout is not the same as what I have entered on the web application. This happens both for the order of my courses within each semester as well as for the order of post-secondary experiences. Rather than play around with the web-application, I am leaving it in the correct order as entered in the web-app. If I hear anything I'll let you know.

Petros, that's not correct from what i have heard.

Put your courses down and AMCAS changes it to the way it is supposed to be. for example, if you took a course in spring of '99 then it will change it to '98 because it is the academic year starting in '98. I would not try and trick the computer system. it is intentionally set up that way.

later

This course work section is still mysterious to me.

I took 'biochem' during the summer after my freshman year which was in 1999. So I entered 'summer 1999'.
However, when I print it, the order is as follows.

1999 Fall
1999 Spring (the semester before my JUNIOR year)
1999 summer (right after my FRESHMAN year)

This thing totally doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyone with the same problem?

Hey guys,

I'm having a problem regarding the course work section too. I enter the year 2001 and try to get it to display my prospective courses for spring 2001. But the stupid application displays it as spring of *2000*. Anyone know of a way around this? AMCRASS SUCKS! Thanks!

Originally posted by MDwannabe:
•Hey guys,

I'm having a problem regarding the course work section too. I enter the year 2001 and try to get it to display my prospective courses for spring 2001. But the stupid application displays it as spring of *2000*. Anyone know of a way around this? AMCRASS SUCKS! Thanks!•

I just emailed AMCAS about this matter. I will post it when I hear back from them.

hey guys can I conduct a little survey of the browsers you guys are using. it seems you guys have no problem saving course work, I have been trying for two weeks to save my course work, I've called them, emailed them and I'm still on square one. I've used IE 5.5., and netscape 6.1.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have called amcas twice about this very same question, asking whether i should enter my coursework by calendar year (as instructed) and just leave it looking wrong when some terms are incorrectly converted to the academic year, OR if i should manipulate the system and purposely enter the wrong calendar year so that every term will line up correctly. my school was on a quarter system and for whatever reason, only winter quarter was not properly converting to the academic year--fall and spring were fine.

i spoke to two different people when i called and both said the same thing: DON'T try to 'fix' the problem yourself by deliberately entering the wrong year so that it will 'look' right. they're aware that this problem exists and it's been added to their log of things to fix. so while your app will look good now if you put in the wrong year, that problem will eventually be solved and your app will look WRONG in the future. i was told to follow the app's instructions to a T (meaning, enter every term by calendar year and just leave it looking 'wrong') and they will fix the problem when they go through our app to verify our grades--the software programmers will have addressed the problem by then. i'm about to submit my app and didn't want this to hold me up, because i was debating whether i should submit it 'looking wrong' or just wait until it was fixed, whenever that would be.

hope this helps someone. i got this straight from amcas.

thanks for your reply!

AMCAS is always messed up.
I will probably wait till beginning of July to submit my application. Since I will be taking August MCAT, I am in no rush.

legi2000, it certainly won't hurt you to submit your amcas app anyway. some schools will send out secondaries without having seen your mcat scores and you will get a leg up in the process over other people taking the august mcat. time is everything in this process and the earlier you can get your application out to schools, the better.

not only that, but it will take several weeks for amcas to finish verifying your grades, etc, etc, and if you wait until july or august to submit, it will still take several weeks. so you might as well get it in now!

just something to consider.

i had also called amcas about this matter, but the lady i talked to, told me to override it and make it look right because what you see is wat the addmissions will see

now im totally confused....i think i might just apply to onlyd DO schools cuz the online amcas is such a pain in the ass.

yeah, but i think i'm going to go with what i was told, to NOT change anything. i've emailed amcas as well as called them twice to complain about this, and i was told that this problem has been recorded and will be addressed by the software programmers. so it will be fixed at some point and i think that i will assume that. otherwise, if i 'fix' the problem myself by entering the wrong years on purpose, and it's fixed later like amcas says it will be, then my app will be wrong LATER, even if it looks good now. and med schools won't be seeing it until later.

the first guy i talked to said to just get the app in early and that when the problem is fixed, my app, by being in the system, will be fixed too. the second guy i talked to said that this is something that they can fix when they go through our apps to verify our grades, because surely the glitch in the software will be corrected by then. but it wouldn't be our advantage to wait until it IS fixed to submit, because the earlier amcas can start processing our stuff, the better.

i'm trying to submit mine now and it sucks--keep getting error messages. i'm so tired of this!

Originally posted by sandflea:
•legi2000, it certainly won't hurt you to submit your amcas app anyway. some schools will send out secondaries without having seen your mcat scores and you will get a leg up in the process over other people taking the august mcat. time is everything in this process and the earlier you can get your application out to schools, the better.

not only that, but it will take several weeks for amcas to finish verifying your grades, etc, etc, and if you wait until july or august to submit, it will still take several weeks. so you might as well get it in now!

just something to consider.•

thanks for your reply.

I've listed 18 schools in my AMCAS and I will probably submit it by next wednesday.
I hate this kind of gamble. If I mess up August MCAT (especially verbal), my money will be all wasted.
Do you think sending out secondaries immediately after MCAT will be a good idea? (since med schools won't get my score until October). I think I will know if I mess up verbal. In that way, I don't have to waste secondary application fee which is considerably higher than AMCAS.
Any thoughts?

hmmmm...the problem with that is, assuming that our amcas apps are processed reasonably quickly, we will start getting secondaries in late july/early august. this is when they started coming in in past years if you applied early--considering that amcas wasn't accepting apps until several weeks later this year than in past years, secondaries may start arriving in mid august or so. most have some kind of time restraint as to when you must return the secondary back to the school--some are like two weeks, or 10 days, or something similar.

so you can't just hold on to your secondaries until october when you get your mcat scores, assuming you do go ahead and submit your amcas app next week. if you think you will want to wait to see what your scores are like before you decide to proceed with applying, then i would wait on submitting amcas too, until maybe august or so.

•hmmmm...the problem with that is, assuming that our amcas apps are processed reasonably quickly, we will start getting secondaries in late july/early august. this is when they started coming in in past years if you applied early--considering that amcas wasn't accepting apps until several weeks later this year than in past years, secondaries may start arriving in mid august or so. most have some kind of time restraint as to when you must return the secondary back to the school--some are like two weeks, or 10 days, or something similar.

so you can't just hold on to your secondaries until october when you get your mcat scores, assuming you do go ahead and submit your amcas app next week. if you think you will want to wait to see what your scores are like before you decide to proceed with applying, then i would wait on submitting amcas too, until maybe august or so.•

What I meant by waiting until August MCAT is that I will submit secondaries at the end of August after taking MCAT (if I receive secondaries by then). Without receiving scores, I think I will be able to tell if I messed up verbal as I walk out of the testing center.

btw, thanks for the info about secondaries. I didn't know that it would take that long.

Originally posted by legi2000:
I spent several hours entering courses in the order they appear on my transcript. However, does anyone know why the order of courses is messed up when I print the application?
AMCAS is doing that to me, too. I wouldn't worry. I got an email a while back from them (I think it was the one telling us when to submit) that addressed this. Apparently, all we need to do is make sure it is ordered right in the app itslef, and disregard the printout.

Originally posted by Smoke This:
AMCAS is doing that to me, too. I wouldn't worry. I got an email a while back from them (I think it was the one telling us when to submit) that addressed this. Apparently, all we need to do is make sure it is ordered right in the app itslef, and disregard the printout.•

I believe this bug is fixed. But, the calendar year bug is sill active.

I believe this bug is fixed.
I didn't know that since I stopped worrying about this when I started worrying if I could even transmit.

•This course work section is still mysterious to me.

I took 'biochem' during the summer after my freshman year which was in 1999. So I entered 'summer 1999'.
However, when I print it, the order is as follows.

1999 Fall
1999 Spring (the semester before my JUNIOR year)
1999 summer (right after my FRESHMAN year)

This thing totally doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyone with the same problem?•

OK. You are assuming that the semesters run summer fall spring, but they run fall spring summer.

Aug 1998 (Fall) = Fall 1998
Jan 1999 (sprg) = Spring '98
June '99 (smr) = Summer '98
Aug 1999 (Fall) = Fall 1999
Jan 2000 (Sprg) = Spring '99
June '00 (smr) = Summer '99
Aug 2000 (Fall) = Fall 2000
Jan 2001 (Sprg) = Spring '00
June '01 (smr) = Summer '00
Aug 2001 (Fall) = Fall 2001

ect...

hope this helps

Originally posted by wooo:

OK. You are assuming that the semesters run summer fall spring, but they run fall spring summer.

Aug 1998 (Fall) = Fall 1998
Jan 1999 (sprg) = Spring '98
June '99 (smr) = Summer '98
Aug 1999 (Fall) = Fall 1999
Jan 2000 (Sprg) = Spring '99
June '00 (smr) = Summer '99
Aug 2000 (Fall) = Fall 2000
Jan 2001 (Sprg) = Spring '00
June '01 (smr) = Summer '00
Aug 2001 (Fall) = Fall 2001

ect...

hope this helps•

Here is what AMCAS gives.

actual AMCAS

1998 fall 1998 fall (freshman)
1999 spring 1998 spring (freshman)
1999 summer 1999 fall (sophomore)
1999 fall 1999 spring (sophomore)
2000 spring 1999 summer(after fresh)
2000 fall 2000 fall (JUNIOR)
2001 spring 2000 spring
2001 fall 2001 fall
2002 spring 2001 spring

so basically AMCAS is listing my summer course right before my junior year. It should be before my sophomore year.
I know it is damn confusing. sorry.
Also,I am graduating in 2002 not 2001

Sandflea is correct. I got the same information from AMCAS.

later

Actually, I think the the academic year goes

Summer, Fall, Spring.
That's how the DO application works also.

could be wrong, but that is what I thought.

later

12R34Y, i was correct as to what? to just go ahead and submit the app even though the course listing looks wrong?

i'm asking because i'm just hoping others were told the same thing. i went ahead and submitted my app since the people i spoke to at AMCAS were so adamant about not letting this hold me up, but i'm still a little wary.

•I just emailed AMCAS about this matter. I will post it when I hear back from them.•

Ha Ha Ha, you're kidding, right? I've heard they are like a black hole as far as communication. You can send in as many requests and questions as you want, but nothing seems to come out. :(

Good luck.

Originally posted by Jamier2:
•Ha Ha Ha, you're kidding, right? I've heard they are like a black hole as far as communication. You can send in as many requests and questions as you want, but nothing seems to come out. :(

Good luck.•

Jamier,

I didn't know that I was kidding, but today I have to say I was kidding.

Obviously, no response.

yes sandflea,

do not change the years on the coursework to match your transcript. AMCAS will fix that for you. i was told that if you take a class in spring of '99 then it will say '98 because it was the academic '98 year.

AMCAS will fix it.

That is what I was told by AMCAS when i called them.
hope I'm right.
later

My question to AMCAS via email: 1. Whenever I type in Spring 1999 it comes out as 1998 Spring (I wasn't attending the school then)-what can I do to correct this?

AMCAS Response: We are aware of the specific error you are experiencing with the spring term year, we are working to resolve the issue. In the meantime try entering the spring year 1 year ahead so that it converts properly.

Reactions: 1 user
That is the exact opposite response I received from AMCAS!

I was told to let AMCAS change it and NOT to do what your email said.

this is getting absolutely ridiculous!

Who is right?

I'm definately not submitting until this is all worked out.

later

yes, that's the complete opposite of what I'VE been told too.

i understand that the year on the amcas courselist may not match up with your transcript, because the amcas software will convert a calendar year to the proper academic year (so a course taken in spring 1999 will say 'spring 1998' because it was the 98-99 academic year). my problem was that it WASN'T properly making this conversion for all of my winter quarters, although it was for fall and spring.

what amcas told me on two separate occasions was to leave it the way it was. as long as i properly entered the correct calendar year and as long as i entered which class i was in for each term (e.g. freshman, sophomore, etc, etc), they will be able to figure everything out when they verify our grades, and that the conversion problem will be fixed by then and that they will make everything look 'right' for us then before they submit my app to med schools.

so i went ahead and submitted my app over the weekend. now i wonder if i should have waited?! it's not fair that some of us who were counting on getting our apps in early will need to wait simply because for some of us, our coursework list doesn't 'look' right. i think i will give amcas another call tonight.

thanks sandflea, i'm looking forward to hearing what AMCAS tells you about this whole freakin' mess!!

later

for crying out loud!!!

okay, so i just hung up with amcas. this is my third phone call asking the exact same question, and i believe i spoke to someone that i haven't spoken to before.

i explained that my college was on a quarter system, and for some reason winter quarter--and ONLY winter quarter--wasn't properly converting to the academic year, instead remaining as the calendar year in the AMCAS's app list of all of my undergraduate academic terms. so it appeared that i completely skipped winter term my freshman year (since this term was grouped with my sophomore year fall and spring terms) and that i had a 'leftover' winter term that according to the way my terms were listed, actually occurred AFTER i graduated from college. i explained that i had called twice and spoken to two different people about this, and what both stated was that this was something that they would correct when they verified my grades, as the software programmers would have fixed this glitch by then and they would be able to make everything 'look' right. they were both adamant that i get my app in as soon as possible, as it was to my advantage to apply ASAP, and that the problem was on their end and i couldn't do anything to 'fix' it.

what this (very angry-sounding) guy told me was these two people told me to do the wrong thing--that i should have entered my winter terms as occurring in the same calendar year as fall (which would have made everything 'look good'). i told him that that was NOT the way the terms occurred at my school (that winter and spring occurred in the same calendar year, while fall was the previous calendar year), and that this was exactly what i was forcefully told NOT to do before--to NOT manipulate the calendar years to make everything 'look' right. i explained to him that because i had been told the same thing twice, on two separate occasions, i went ahead and submitted my app, based on the instructions from these two other AMCAS employees--what was i supposed to do now?! he said, 'you already submitted it--there ISN'T anything you can do now. sorry!' so i ask him, 'are med schools going to see an incorrect list then, if _I_ was supposed to be the one who 'fixed' the mistake in the software, even though i was told otherwise?' he told me that as long as it doesn't affect my gpa, it won't matter. i told him that of course it doesn't affect my gpa, it just affects the order in which my courses are listed and that i would rather my courselist look correct rather than wrong! he said that the med schools 'know what they're looking at', and he proceeded to hang up on me.

so the issue still isn't resolved. i could always do what this guy told me, and then recertify and submit, but i still have no idea who's right! fine, i understand that the software is new and that they might be some glitches, but at the very least, they should be some uniform way that these glitches are handled. instead, i keep being told something different.

*sigh* my app's already gone anyway. i'm thinking about calling again tomorrow to see if i get someone different. but i'm thinking that since there is no consensus as to how this should be handled, i will leave my app as it is and just explain the discrepancy on my secondaries. i know that med schools will be able to figure it all out (as even though the years look wrong, we still have to enter 'freshman', 'soph', etc, for each course so they can still match the terms up) but i still want everything to look perfect. and why should i not expect to be able to do that? this process is too much of a crapshoot and there's too much at stake for me to look like a ***** on my AMCAS app.

sorry that i couldn't get a more definitive answer....

I contacted AMCAS about this...again (this time I called them). This time (exactly opposite of what they told me a month ago) the guy told me not to override it, to let the spring semester drop back a year. For example, even though I was not in college in Spring 1994, all my Spring 1995 classes are labeled Spring 1994 classes. Apparently, the spring semester is linked to the fall semester right before it and they need to have the same year...I don't understand the reasoning.

no, glacierdropsy, what you were told is how i believe it is supposed to look.

the year that shows up in your course list is the ACADEMIC year, not the calendar year. so your spring 1995 semester will show up as 1994 (as you indicate it did, even though when you were entering your grades you chose '1995') because it is a part of the 94-95 academic year. so fall semester of 1994 and spring semester of 1995 will BOTH say '1994', because they occurred in the same academic year....

so for example, for my school, which is on a quarter system, in the same school year, Fall quarter will occur in 1997 (for example), while winter and spring quarters will occur in 1998. the app instructs us to enter each term by the calendar year, so that is what i would choose: 1997 for fall, and 1998 for winter and spring. what the software is SUPPOSED to do is then convert winter and spring terms to say 1997 in the course list, so that all three quarters (fall 97, winter 98 and spring 98) now say 1997, because they all occurred in the same school year, the one that started in 1997. my problem was that while it did this for spring quarter (meaning, i entered the calendar year as 1998 and it shows up in the courselist as 1997), it didn't do it for winter quarter (which still said 1998). so every winter quarter was being grouped with the fall and spring quarters of the NEXT school year, because by not converting the calendar year of winter quarter back a year to indicate the SCHOOL year, the software was 'seeing' each winter quarter as occurring in the next school year. it's just all messed up!

but you sound like you're good to go...everything is converting properly for you...

I have the same problem sandflea. I haven't submitted my applicaiton in yet. What a hassle!!! I just redid my course work so that it would be correct when I added it in, but looked wrong. For example winter 1998, when it was supposed to be winter 1997. Anyhow, I don't know what to do. I guess I'll wait. I just received an email from AMCAS about their problems. However they did not address this issue, rather they addressed some submission issue. Anyhow, keep us posted folks! Thanks! Good luck!!

•I didn't know that I was kidding, but today I have to say I was kidding.

Obviously, no response.•

Sad, ain't it. Let's all just hope that this is the only time we ever have to use this service. :)

actually it makes more sense to me to do it that way, EricOH--to enter it following the instructions exactly and leave it 'looking wrong' for the time being. i'm sure the software people will get to the problem very soon, and what your app looks like now doesn't matter--what matters is how it looks several weeks/months down the line when med schools finally get a hold of it. presumably the problem will be resolved by then and i would think that if you entered the years the way we're supposed to, our apps will automatically be 'fixed' simply by being in the system once the glitch is addressed. but i'm just speculating...

i got that email too. there were definitely problems submitting apps this weekend, when i tried to send mine in. it eventually went through, but what a pain in the butt.

anyone else going to give amcas a call? let us all know what you hear....good luck to everyone...

Holy crap!!!!!!! Sandflea and others are getting conflicting information on the same freakin' day at AMCAS!!@! How can they do this?

I'm leaving mine alone and leaving it like sandflea did. I just don't even want to mess with it anymore.

this sucks.

l;ater

Originally posted by 12R34Y:
•Holy crap!!!!!!! Sandflea and others are getting conflicting information on the same freakin' day at AMCAS!!@! How can they do this?
l;ater•

I don't think it is just AMCAS. It is this whole AAMC. I registered for my August MCAT at the beginning of May, and I indicated my first choice testing center to be in the west coast and my second choice in the east coast. I have to buy a flight ticket really soon if I get my first choice. So I have been calling MCAT since last week, and some lady told me that if I call back today, I would find out my testing center. So I called today morning, and the person I talked to said I wouldn't be able to find out my testing center until the end of JULY!. and he was demanding the NAME of the person whom I talked to last week and he said that person was "terribly mistaken".
WHAT DA HELL!

screw it. i'm not going to call amcas again. it wouldn't matter because regardless of what i'm told at this point, i won't know who to believe!!!

i'm sure adcoms know about the glitches and may expect errors like this in applications. i think i'm just going to leave mine looking 'wrong' (but entered in exactly the way AMCAS instructs us to), pray that the problem will be fixed before adcoms see my app (like the first two people i spoke to told me it would), and just enclose a brief note with all my secondaries explaining the discrepancy in case the problem isn't fixed.

my priority right now is to get my app out ASAP because it can make such a difference in your admissions chances. i've gone through this whole process before (i applied to a few schools two years ago, and obviously wasn't accepted) and if i had one bit of advice to offer, it's to get your app in as soon as possible. unfortunately it isn't that easy this year due to the flawed app we have to work with.

come to think of it, the first time i applied, AMCAS actually flat-out lost my app. i had to resubmit everything about a month and a half after i originally sent it in, because the fact that they lost my app wasn't acknowledged until then. geez, am i doomed to bad luck in this process? :(

I just hope that doesn't happen this year.
But no one can tell!

Anyways, I still have to finish this course work section.

Does anyone know how I should enter 'date attended' for my college? I started my freshman year in 1998 and I just finished my junior year and will be graduating in 2002.
Should I enter Sep 1998 - May 2001 (current) or Sep 1998 -May 2002 ?

thanks.

i'd put 'may 2002'...i think somewhere it mentions that you enter your anticipated date of graduation....that's what i did...

•i'd put 'may 2002'...i think somewhere it mentions that you enter your anticipated date of graduation....that's what i did...•

thanks!

sandflea, i'm sorry about your troubles with the AMCAS and the course dates. I entered mine in and allowed the application to change the dates, but it didn't change some of them correctly for the ones that involved a quarter system. I was told by my advisor that AMCAS is aware there may be discrepancies in the dates, but that they will match by course number and title as well. The date only serves as a guide for them to find the course. At this point I would not worry about it. Most of this is out of our hands by now since we have transmitted. Don't kill yourself worrying about what you might have done or should have done. There is still time to get apps in early as our files are only complete once the secondaries and recommendations are received by the schools. If you are persistent in checking that your AMCAS is transmitted and that your apps are complete at the schools you will be ok. Good luck.

thanks for the encouragement, mdhopeful, but i've stopped worrying about it. i can see the big picture in this and i realize that it isn't that big of a deal. it doesn't affect my gpa at all and we had to label every single one of our courses with our academic status (freshman, sophomore, etc) anyway so there is still a way to piece everything together. i know adcoms know about the numerous little problems with the app this year so i'm sure they're expecting things like this.

my frustration was really with the staff at AMCAS. i understand that a new program like this is going to have bugs and that a certain amount of patience is involved--i'm totally fine with that. but what i find unprofessional is their complete lack of a consensus as to how to handle these glitches. i was content with the answer i received from the first two people i spoke to (a bit doubting after the first, which is why i called again), because it made sense: 'the problem will soon be addressed by the software programmers so we'll fix it when we go through your app to verify your grades.' however, the nagging feeling that they were scrambling to give me an answer and get me off the phone is what prompted me to call again, for a third time. and the lack of communication between the staff at AMCAS became apparent when the guy i spoke to yesterday adamantly gave me the opposite response of what the first two people said and told me that i shouldn't have listened to them in the first place. how was i to know this? who can i believe? he was practically hostile, as if i was out of place to call to ask a question like this.

but my app is already submitted and i'm not looking back from here on out. i just feel fortunate that i am not one of the people who can't even log onto the site: my only real problem with my app was this course list glitch. i pretty much solved the difficulties in logging on by working in the middle of the night--it really made a difference!

so i wouldn't stress about this, folks. it's a pretty minor problem compared to the difficulties we COULD be having.