-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Please help!! AMCAS sGPA Question!
Started by chickenloverr5
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
AMCAS will calculate using all your grades from undergrad, all 4 years. This calculation is separate from the calculation of your graduate GPA.
https://students-residents.aamc.org/media/7761/download
AMCAS uses
A or A+ = 4
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7
https://students-residents.aamc.org/media/7761/download
AMCAS uses
A or A+ = 4
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7
AMCAS will calculate using all your grades from undergrad, all 4 years. This calculation is separate from the calculation of your graduate GPA.
https://students-residents.aamc.org/media/7761/download
AMCAS uses
A or A+ = 4
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7
Yes, but when they calculate each separate years gpa (freshman, sophomore, etc.) is that years gpa included with the gpa of the previous year like in the picture I posted? The website I used uses the previous year(s) credit hours and quality points as well as the current year to do the breakdown if that makes sense.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you already graduated and claimed your bachelor's degree before starting taking your DIY postbac, the undergrad GPA calculation is not going to change.
That doesn’t mean you can’t show an upward trend or improvement by doing your postbac courses.
That doesn’t mean you can’t show an upward trend or improvement by doing your postbac courses.
If you already graduated and claimed your bachelor's degree before starting taking your DIY postbac, the undergrad GPA calculation is not going to change.
That doesn’t mean you can’t show an upward trend or improvement by doing your postbac courses.
are you sure? I think they do when looking at the doc you commented
Look at the chart marked Sample Verified GPA.are you sure? I think they do when looking at the doc you commented
You will see that they calculated a cumulative GPA for undergrad
And
A separate GPA for graduate courses
Yes, we are sure.are you sure? I think they do when looking at the doc you commented
Once you have graduated, Post bac undergrad gpas will appear separate from (and subsequent to) your undergrad gpas. They are not averaged in.
Look at the chart marked Sample Verified GPA.
You will see that they calculated a cumulative GPA for undergrad
And
A separate GPA for graduate courses
The classes i’m taking are not for a graduate program/classes. They are undergraduate classes at a college. The guide says “Include undergraduate post-baccalaureate courses in your cumulative undergraduate GPA.” I’m a little confused now. I thought post-baccalaureate means after getting your undergraduate degree.
Did you get your BA or BS and graduate already? Or not?The classes i’m taking are not for a graduate program/classes. They are undergraduate classes at a college. The guide says “Include undergraduate post-baccalaureate courses in your cumulative undergraduate GPA.” I’m a little confused now. I thought post-baccalaureate means after getting your undergraduate degree.
Did you get your BA or BS and graduate already? Or not?
Yes, I got my BS
Then, your new courses will be calculated separately.Yes, I got my BS
Postbac is short for post baccalaureate, or post-bachelors degree.
Don't feel you new efforts are wasted as you can show improvement.
Then, your new courses will be calculated separately.
Postbac is short for post baccalaureate, or post-bachelors degree.
Don't feel you new efforts are wasted as you can show improvement.
I’m so sorry but I think I might be misunderstanding. On the 2025 AMCAS Application guide ( https://students-residents.aamc.org/media/11616/download) it says “Postbaccalaureate coursework is included in the Undergrad Total GPA as well as in a separate Postbaccalaureate GPA.” I’m understanding that it will be on the separate postbaccalaureate line as well as included in the undergrad gpa because it’s undergrad coursework.
I don't know what else to say to you-
Your GPA will be whatever AMCAS calculates it to be, and their official calculation is what your med schools will see.
If you took courses after you earned your bachelor's, even if they are regular college courses or community college courses, they will be calculated in the separate Postbaccalaureate GPA.
wysdoc, out
Your GPA will be whatever AMCAS calculates it to be, and their official calculation is what your med schools will see.
If you took courses after you earned your bachelor's, even if they are regular college courses or community college courses, they will be calculated in the separate Postbaccalaureate GPA.
wysdoc, out
There are many calculators so use them to check your work.
medicalaid.org
www.northwestern.edu
bemoacademicconsulting.com
gpa-calculator.com
AMCAS, AACOMAS, and TMDSAS GPA Calculator
Check your AMCAS, AACOMAS, and TMDSAS med school GPA with IMA’s GPA calculator as you prepare for medical school applications.
medicalaid.org
GPA Calculator: Health Professions Advising (HPA) - Northwestern University
AMCAS GPA Calculator
The easiest AMCAS GPA calculator to convert your grades from any university or college to AMCAS GPA in seconds. No need for messy charts. Ever.
AMCAS GPA Calculator – American Medical College
Calculate your AMCAS GPA (Grade Point Average) quickly and for free. This is an easy-to-use and mobile friendly calculator for your grades of the American Medical College.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There seem to be a number of answers here not exactly answering OP's question. You will have a separate line for each year's GPA (Freshman, sophmore, junior, senior, postbacc), then a cumulative GPA that average all of those (weighted by credits). Each individual year is not your cumulative GPA up to that point, it's the GPA you had for that year specifically.
thank you everyone!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 373