AMCAS application how many schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lyleman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, I was wondering if you guys could help me with some advice? My question is the following: I have around a 3.55 GPA and a 29Q MCAT score. I'm finishing up my AMCAS application, but don't know how many schools to apply to. So far, I'm up to 10, but need to know if I should do more and if so, how many more?

I would really appreciate your help, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Your application is late and your stats are average to below average depending on the school. IMO you should add at least another 10 schools (hopefully money isn't an issue) and apply very broadly.

I agree with the previous poster. With below average GPA and MCAT, you need to apply early in the cycle to be more competitive. Seeing as your primary application is incomplete, I would say you are definitely getting towards the "late" portion of the year.

Additionally, 10 schools is not enough. The entire process can be very random and if your stats are not stellar, you need to apply very broadly as well as reasonably (that is, schools you have a decent chance for). 20 should be a minimum I think with the more the better, assuming you can afford it.

Also, you should post your extracurricular activities and your home state for better recommendations.