AMCAS Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NTS3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on applying for Aug. 2002, but I won't be taking the MCAT until this August. Does that mean I cannot submit an AMCAS application until I receive my MCAT scores in October? Or do I complete the application except the MCAT scores and send that? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless things have changed greatly since I applied last year:

Submit your application.
The scores will follow.

In the meantime (hopefully) you'll get secondaries from schools even if they don't have your MCAT scores yet.j

Then, when the MCAT scores are sent, your secondary app will be complete.

Hop to it! Time's a wastin'! ;)

--kris

Submit your AMCAS application at the normal time. The first day is June 18! If you wait, you'll be way behind in the process. AMCAS will take care of the app without the MCAT scores. Sometimes, you can even get secondaries w/o MCAT scores. They will forward the scores to the schools you applied to after they receive them at AMCAS then the schools will consider your file.

Members don't see this ad :)
Send in everything as early as possible without waiting if you are sure that you will take the August test and definately after you have done at least one practice test (e.g. AAMC Pratice Test III). This will give you an idea of how prepared you are. Go over what you got wrong and guage whether you think studying for the next two and a half months will improve your score. If you think that you are far from mastering the things that you got wrong, maybe you should apply next year and take the April 2002 MCAT.

If you feel like you will do pretty good in Aug, by all means send out all the application stuff because you will receive secondaries from SOME schools without them having your scores. Anyway, you want AMCAS to have gotten all of your stuff ready to be sent out if they haven't already in Aug. In Oct, all you should be doing is waiting for scores and filling out secondaries.

Also keep in mind that once you submit your AMCAs application, you are considered an applicant in 2002 (i.e., if you decide to withdraw your applications after receiving your Aug MCAT scores in late October (because they are not what you wanted), you will be considered a re-applicant for 2003). Also, you put yourself somewhat at a disadvantage by not having a completed application until November. This does not mean you should not apply now, especially if your practice MCAT scores are high (11's),but it is something to consider. Good luck!