What to list MLT as on AMCAS application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oakiedokie

Reaction score
Worked as a MLT in a hospital specializing in hematology and microbiology testing for almost 2-years. Preformed CBC and manual diffs, helped in bone marrow biopsy, read microbiology plates and preformed susceptibility testing, etc. Very little patient interaction, but consistent interactions with physicians. Applying in the 2024-2025 cycle and was told by my masters program advisor to list the MLT as research/lab, but I am unsure if that counts as true research as it is not hypothesis driven like an academic lab. For reference, I have 3,000+ direct-patient care experience and 200+ shadowing various specialties, so I am good on that end but I am limited on academic research, hence why I think my advisor suggested to list it as research. I was thinking either clinical or paid non-clinical, but I am unsure. Any advice/thoughts appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Worked as a MLT in a hospital specializing in hematology and microbiology testing for almost 2-years. Preformed CBC and manual diffs, helped in bone marrow biopsy, read microbiology plates and preformed susceptibility testing, etc. Very little patient interaction, but consistent interactions with physicians. Applying in the 2024-2025 cycle and was told by my masters program advisor to list the MLT as research/lab, but I am unsure if that counts as true research as it is not hypothesis driven like an academic lab. For reference, I have 3,000+ direct-patient care experience and 200+ shadowing various specialties, so I am good on that end but I am limited on academic research, hence why I think my advisor suggested to list it as research. I was thinking either clinical or paid non-clinical, but I am unsure. Any advice/thoughts appreciated!
This is anecdotal and I know some of the experts have a differing opinion on this, but I listed my work as an MT (microbiology) as clinical paid. I figured I would describe what I do and let the schools decide whether they felt it was clinical or not. However, I don't think you could realistically call it research based on how you described it here.

Reactions: 4 users
This should be Paid Employment - Medical/Clinical.

Ignore your advisor. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 3 users