AMCAS before MCAT? Please advise!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

free_radical

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-

I understand that it's possible to submit the AMCAS application prior to receiving the MCAT scores. This is good, because I take the MCAT on July 13, and this way I can submit my application while it's still June. However, this means the shcools see the application before they see the MCAT score.

The problem is this- My application isnt very impressive because I don't have much coursework; I have no scientific coursework except for the bio, chem, orgo and physics. The rest of my coursework is a few business and finance courses, and then a host of unconventional credits, causing my major to be "Interdisciplinary Studies"; I have four different colleges on my transcript, low-level ones at that. (Granted, overall GPA is 3.8 and BCPM GPA is 4.0)

Given this unimpressive application, I am hoping to make my MCAT score my redeeming factor. But if the schools can see my application before they see the MCAT score, do I even stand a chance? Won't they not even look in my direction after that?

Will I be hurting my chances by letting the schools see my application before the MCAT score, if I am planning on the MCAT score to be a major redeeming factor?

I really don't know what to do; any advice would be really appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

my two cents....

First of all, I think your GPA is very good. If you've got good ec's too, I don't see any reason to worry.

Some med schools send secondaries to all applicants. In that case, it would be good to send AMCAS in early so you can have the entire app in by the time the school gets your MCAT score. Some schools will review your app only after getting the mcat score.

And I asked an adviser about schools rejecting people prior to seeing MCAT scores, the adviser said that by the time I submit my app, it's too early for med schools to be making decisions on applicants. So I've decided submit amcas in june and get my mcat scores in august.

thanx- so i guess i'll submit my app in june and when the mcat scores come in in august, the app will have been verified already, and the schools will right away get the mcat score......(my ec's are good, actually- a year of volunteer work in china, several summers volunteer in russia, volunteer EMT-B, research in an organich chemistry educational project, thats ok. i was worried because i have no calculus, no scientific coursework except for the 8 basic courses, and no real major. that, despite everything else, is a liability)

thanx for the advice....anyone else agree? should i submit in june, and let them see my app before the mcat?

Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS before the MCAT, if you submit in mid to late July, you won't get verified until late August, that mean you will be writing you 2nd during your academic year. Considering writing a secondary, an intensive 5 credits class (12-15 hours per week)

Hi-

I understand that it's possible to submit the AMCAS application prior to receiving the MCAT scores. This is good, because I take the MCAT on July 13, and this way I can submit my application while it's still June. However, this means the shcools see the application before they see the MCAT score.

The problem is this- My application isnt very impressive because I don't have much coursework; I have no scientific coursework except for the bio, chem, orgo and physics. The rest of my coursework is a few business and finance courses, and then a host of unconventional credits, causing my major to be "Interdisciplinary Studies"; I have four different colleges on my transcript, low-level ones at that. (Granted, overall GPA is 3.8 and BCPM GPA is 4.0)

Given this unimpressive application, I am hoping to make my MCAT score my redeeming factor. But if the schools can see my application before they see the MCAT score, do I even stand a chance? Won't they not even look in my direction after that?

Will I be hurting my chances by letting the schools see my application before the MCAT score, if I am planning on the MCAT score to be a major redeeming factor?

I really don't know what to do; any advice would be really appreciated.

Med schools won't really look at your application until your MCAT scores are in. If they do, it will only be a very cursory glance. It's an essential, if not the most essential, part of your application.

I was in a similar position last year (I was an engineer and took the MCAT in August).

Do not wait to fill out your AMCAS unless you absolutely cannot complete it before July (e.g., if you do not have time. You would have to be terribly busy; I was volunteering, working, and studying and I still could have finished the AMCAS between breaks). Make yourself do this.

The advantage of applying early without your MCAT scores it that your application will be put into a "hold" pile instead of being put into a "new apps" pile (if you wait a month or so for your scores). There will be less applications in the "hold" pile than the "new" pile, thus you will be at an advantage. Did that make sense? :luck: