AMCAS course classification in BCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I read in AMCAS' instruction booklet about which depts are considered BCPM and which are not.. but what about classes taken in a non-bio dept which were really quite bio-ey, like "Biopsychology" in the Psych dept or "Human Population Biology" in the Bioanthropology dept? I'd like to include them in my bio section grades but I'm not sure how picky AMCAS is about the dept they were in. If they reclassify the classes into Anthro and Psych sections, is there a way to appeal and explain the classes were legitimately bio ones? I can't remember if AMCAS evaluates classes based on course content (or I guess the name), or if they just go by what dept it is in? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just use your best judgement.

I'm an exercise physiology major and the courses that were more heavily weighted in physiology, I put as biology...and the others I put as health sciences. A statistics class I took only had psychology in its name but I put it as math.

They didn't change anything when I was verified.

i'll second what doublepeak said. i was an engineering major so i classified some of my "... engineering..." classes as math, physics, chemistry, based on the course content. none of my classifications were changed, even when i had a class called "engineering analysis" classified as math, since it was all vector calculus

Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS states that nutritional science is not BCMP but i put it under bio instead because we went through glycolysis like no other class had. Verification didn't change this so i got a higher BCMP than expected.

Thanks you guys- it sounds like AMCAS trusts people to decide which category to put their classes in, for the most part. I appreciate the responses.