Xxx

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Xxx

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 users
Let the hunger games begin

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone clarify on what it means for the application transmission? Do schools not see your application until June 30th at the earliest?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone clarify on what it means for the application transmission? Do schools not see your application until June 30th at the earliest?
Once you submit your primary to AMCAS, with your transcripts, you are put in the verification queue. First come, first serve, they will verify your course entries and calculate your gpas. Your primary cannot be sent to schools until this process is complete.
As AMCAS goes through the first wave, they start piling up the first batch of apps, and on June 30 will release that whole pile of verified primaries to schools. After June 30, verified primaries are released periodiocally (daily?, weekly?, IDK... but regularly and frequently).

So no, schools cannot see your app at all before June 30, and then can only see it once it's been verified.

So the difference in submitting your primary between June 1 and roughly June 20 is non-existent, since all those apps will be verified before and sent June 30.
However, submitting your primary to AMCAS on, say July 1 or Aug 1, will mean longer wait times for verification and then delayed transmission to schools.

B8OzRr3.png

Reactions: 4 users
lets even be clearer. June 30th is the first that AMCAS will send verified applications to individual medical schools. This does not mean a school will immediately process, read, review, your application. In fact, with June 30 being a Friday, and July 4th the following Tuesday, very little activity on applications will begin until at least the following week. Since each medical school has their own work flow and procedures, and school will get thousand of application that get queued and take time to work thru, not to mention it is summer in an academic setting, it can be any where from 3 days to 3 months for applications to have a file opened and start the initial review.
Though any of the schools with automated, automatic secondaries will send those out immediately (in my experience), regardless of whether a human being has laid eyes on your file yet or not.

Indeed, upon your submission (not verification) AMCAS will automatically send your contact info only to schools that have requested this feature and that you have, obviously, applied to on your primary application. So you could have your secondary sent to you and completed to a school prior to that school getting your primary. And no, I do not have a list of these schools. Secondaries can be sent under these scenarios

Most Common
1) Some get your contact info only from AMCAS and send out secondaries unscreened prior to primary application being verified (ie as soon as you indicate you are applying to them).
2) Some send out secondaries unscreened when they receive transmitted primary app from AMCAS
3) Some do a preliminary basic screen with a predetermined MCAT/GPA "forumla". This could simply mean they look at "outstanding" candidates first before sending secondaries to the next batch.

Less Common
4) Some do a full review of primary before sending out secondaries to candidates it has voted on
5) Extending the above, some send secondaries out only to those it will invite to interview.
I'm sure you've got more data points from your various students then I have from my 2 cycles, but in my experience of ~45 different schools, #1 in your list is pretty uncommon (I only had 1 school do this to me). I saw mostly 2 or 3, with ~1/2 to 2/3 of my secondaries dropping into my inbox within 48 hrs of AMCAS transmission, most of the rest trickling in over ~6 weeks, and a rare few showing up months later.

Do you guys know if you can apply to some schools initially and then later on add more schools to have your application sent to?

Do you guys know if you can apply to some schools initially and then later on add more schools to have your application sent to?
yes, you can.

Reactions: 1 users
If you fill out the 2017 AMCAS (haven't done that yet) can you transfer the information when the 2018 one opens?

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's go!! Excited and nervous to be applying this upcoming cycle. Stats are meh so I'm hoping an early app can benefit me :)

Let's go!! Excited and nervous to be applying this upcoming cycle. Stats are meh so I'm hoping an early app can benefit me :)

For those of us who've already taken the MCAT, getting the app in early is the most important thing we can do at this point. Good luck to you and everyone else!

So many memories... good luck fam!

When AMCAS opens.

LORs and transcripts do not roll over, so if you applied last cycle, you will have to re-submit those.
Oh okay cool. I mean I usually hear that "it's not imperative that you get LORs in right away" but if they're ready to go, I assume it's best to get them in anyways. So if I have everything ready to submit June 1st, along with letters, I'll be able to submit everything then?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

You can but frankly I wouldnt submit letters until your application has been transmitted to the school. Why? Because schools open a file for an applicant when the primary is transmitted. Sending a letter before that has a small risk of being "lost" prior to that. Even in this age of all computerized systems and IDs, the confusion between AMCAS ID and Letter ID causes issues
Huh, really? I've never heard this suggestion, and it sort of goes against the logic of, "the earlier the better," but it I guess it makes sense. I will most likely have my letters ready by June 1st, but you don't think I should submit them?

...actually, question: do *I* determine when they're submitted, or are they submitted at the discretion of my letter writers?

Also, I can't believe this is actually about to happen. It's been 21 years in the making

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

lets even be clearer. June 30th is the first that AMCAS will send verified applications to individual medical schools. This does not mean a school will immediately process, read, review, your application. In fact, with June 30 being a Friday, and July 4th the following Tuesday, very little activity on applications will begin until at least the following week. Since each medical school has their own work flow and procedures, and school will get thousand of application that get queued and take time to work thru, not to mention it is summer in an academic setting, it can be any where from 3 days to 3 months for applications to have a file opened and start the initial review.

When entering hours of an ongoing activity can you include hours completed up to June 30th in the completed section since the application won't be processed until then?

Hopefully that question makes sense. I thought that current activities have a section for hours completed and then hours expected to complete over app cycle that are tallied separately. So I just want to make sure I'm tallying them correctly based on these dates. So do all hours completed prior to June 30 go in the completed box even if you submit on June 1st?

you can include hours up to August of matriculation year 2018
Thank you for the clarification. I'm still a bit confused about how the hours are separated.
Are the hours separated into hours already completed and those expected to complete throughout the year? Or are they all just in one box? So if I listed an activity that started last year and goes through August of 2018, do I just put 1000 as all hours completed or are there two boxes one where I put 500 completed previously and one where I put 500 expected to complete in the coming year?

So it doesn't matter whether you submit June 1st or June 20th, med schools will see your application starting June 30th anyways?

Rule 1: take a breath

no! you submit, your application needs to be verified, and when it gets verified, it can be eligible to transmit. If your application doesnt get verified until after June 30th. And it can takes week after transmission for a medical school to actually start processing at their end
Hopefully @gonnif clarified this for you, but just in case...
Schools only see your app after (1) it's been verified and (2) after the first transmission date. So, based on historic trends in verification times {edit} AND supposing you have submitted everything correctly (official transcripts, correctly entered your coursework, etc.) ...
If you submit to AMCAS on June 1, it will definitely be verified by the first transmission date and sent to schools then.
If you submit to AMCAS on June 7, it will definitely be verified by the first transmission date and sent to schools then.
If you submit to AMCAS on June 14, it will most likely be verified by the first transmission date and sent to schools then.
If you submit to AMCAS on June 21, it might be verified by the first transmission date and sent to schools then. If not, then within a couple weeks.
If you submit to AMCAS on June 28, it won't be verified by the first transmission date, but should be within a few weeks and then sent.
See the graph above and estimate dates for yourself.

Last edited:

there is one box but I suggest applicants be clear in description as to what is done and what is planned.

Can we really do that? I always thought that only completed hours could be recorded in the application. If we do describe what is planned, is that even weighed heavily by schools?

Do not to make assumptions as most delays in verification are due to applicant error. In addition to not getting all official transcripts or for schools not approved sending electronic transcripts. Additionally, applicants often use student transcripts (ie ones they can download free) which may be in different order or format than the official transcripts. All applicants should order an copy of all official transcripts from all schools they ever intended at anytime in their lives

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
During our peak season, the AMCAS verification process takes about six (6) weeks . Once you have submitted your application and AMCAS has received all of your required transcript(s), your application will be listed as “Ready for Review . ” At this stage, your application is in line to be verified. When your application status is “Under Review,” AMCAS determine s if there are any missing or incorrect items that may prevent processing. If omissions or errors cannot be resolved, your application will be returned. The most common reasons for a returned application include:
· failure to include original grades and credit hours for repeated courses,
· failure to list 10 or more courses that appear on an official transcript, · failure to list 10 or more credits as they appear on your official transcript(s),
· failure to list 10 or more grades as they appear on your official transcript(s), and
· failure to list coursework in chronological order.

You're right, I was making the assumption that they would have entered things correctly. And I'm sure there are plenty of people who do not, who I wasn't thinking about. I added that caveat above.

You're saying I can predict the amount of hours and include those with the ones I've already done. I will tell on the app about this of course but we can do that? @gonnif

All applicants should download and read the instructions

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...7_amcas_instruction_manual-_final.pdf#page=55
Experience Dates

Include the start and end dates for each experience. Some Experience Types, such as Awards, Presentations/Posters and Publications, require only one date. Medical schools want information about experiences you have begun prior to application submission; therefore, your start date must be no later than the current month. Similarly, medical schools ask that the experience end date coincide with the start of medical school. Even if the experience will be ongoing, the latest end date is August of the current application cycle.

If you participated in an experience more than once, check Yes next to the “Repeated?” field for that particular entry. You may enter up to three additional date ranges.

Total Hours
Enter the total number of hours that you completed (or expect to complete) related to this experience during the date range that you indicated. If this is a repeated experience, include only the number of hours completed for that specific date range. If you have a non-traditional schedule, you may explain in the Experience Description field
But Gonnif why should we read if you can just give us all the answerz here???

[everyone should read that though, very informative.]

Something like being a resident assistant in a residence hall (resident advisor equivalent or whatever other places call it)--- classify under Leadership or Work?
It was a paid position but not hourly, only in the form of free room+stipend. It had a significant leadership aspect and I did it for a long time so I really want to paint it as a leadership activity as one of my most meaningful.

Also, if there is a volunteering activity that was done a minimal amount ~20 hours, is it better to still list it or will this appear to be just space filling?

Hi all! It's about that time of the year :nailbiting: Can anyone tell me how old the letter can be? I had my professors write me letters and submit them to interfolio when I graduated almost two years ago. Can I still use them? Thanks in advance and GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

Rule 1: take a breath

no! you submit, your application needs to be verified, and when it gets verified, it can be eligible to transmit. If your application doesnt get verified until after June 30th. And it can takes week after transmission for a medical school to actually start processing at their end

I just took my Mcat on April 22nd, I immediate registered for another one on June 1st should my first score comes out not as ideal since I really wanna apply this cycle. Supposedly if I submit my application on June 1st, will it be verified first because my 1st MCAT score (available on may 23rd) and my transcripts are available? Or will the AMCAS wait till my second score comes out to verify my application? Thank you so much!

1) MCAT score has nothing to do with verification; you can be verified without ever having taken the MCAT.
2) you enter the verification queue only when both your primary application and all your transcripts have been recieved by AMCAS
3) if your score comes back below expectation on 5/23, you should submit with a single throwaway school in order to be verified. you can then add schools after you get your second MCAT score back and the application will be transmitted in a day
4) if your first score comes back at or above expectations, cancel your second exam as you dont want to risk a chance at a bad score
Thank you very much gonnif!

Hi all! It's about that time of the year :nailbiting: Can anyone tell me how old the letter can be? I had my professors write me letters and submit them to interfolio when I graduated almost two years ago. Can I still use them? Thanks in advance and GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!
Can you potentially contact them again and ask them to just change the date? I think that might be super helpful! Other than that, I think everything else should be fine :)

Can you potentially contact them again and ask them to just change the date? I think that might be super helpful! Other than that, I think everything else should be fine :)
Thanks so much! I will do that, I just don't like bothering professors :/

I have been working on my application like a maniac. Everything is entered except MCAT scores. I take the test on May 18th and don't get the results till later in June. As I understand, we can enter our dates for MCAT and the scores will automatically be released to AMCAS? I am planning on submitting my application by the first week of June. Hopefully, all my LORs will be submitted by mid June. Fingers crossed.

Excuse me while I vomit everywhere

Reactions: 1 users
there is one box but I suggest applicants be clear in description as to what is done and what is planned.

Thanks for this helpful info @gonnif So, I understand that we can put planned activities up until August. But, from when would planned activities start? June 30th? Or would it be the date we submit to AMCAS?

Thanks!

May 2, 2017 -- AMCAS Application Opens for Data Entry
June 1, 2017 -- AMCAS Application Opens for Submission
June 30, 2017 -- AMCAS Begins Application Transmission to schools

Uhh is June 1 the first day AMCAS opens for submission? Some say it's June 6.

A URM with FAP, 3.6 GPA, "great" EC's and LOR's doesn't need a miracle. You just need a decent MCAT score and you'll land somewhere. The approach of submitting on June 6 and applying to one school (pending your score) is fine.

Is that the first day to submit this cycle? I must've missed that; I assumed it was June 1st.

I just double checked and apparently it is June 6 this year (for some reason).

And yet the AAMC Pre-Med Calendar says June 1 is when 2018 AMCAS Application is Open for Submission.

I am still in the process of working on my AMCAS. I think I can get it done by June 1. Would it however be a wiser decision to maybe hold off a week to perfect it and submit on like June 7? Will it be transmitted to the schools by the June 30 date? Thanks!

Well, thats an issue. While you can technically list it, what do write about it? Its one thing to have continuing hours from a previous activity, but quite another to start something new. If it is something "well defined" such as summer research, internship or job, then you write what is planned such as "accepted to lab of Dr. Smith studying genetics of zygnox worms, expect to focusing on preparation of samples, performing gels, etc"

However, I am not a fan of something less sure such as volunteer as Hospital X. What happens if it falls thru and 6 months later at an interview you get asked about it?

I originally didn't include my gap year AmeriCorps position since it doesn't start until Aug 1. Would it be reasonable to list it in my W&A to make sure AdComms see it? I'm worried about it being overlooked in my secondary apps and/or updates and I think that it's a big part of my reapp. I guess I could always answer the "if you're a reapp, what have you been doing" prompt for each school instead of only the schools I applied to last cycle.

If I have my MCAT and actively working on my essays, what would be the date I can apply the latest to still be considered very early applicant? Is there a difference between June 1st and lets say June 6th or June 10th?

If I have my MCAT and actively working on my essays, what would be the date I can apply the latest to still be considered very early applicant? Is there a difference between June 1st and lets say June 6th or June 10th?

Not at all. If you're that early, then it shouldn't take more than a week to be verified. You wouldn't be transmitted to schools until the 30th anyway, so even if it took two weeks then you'd still be sent with everyone who submitted June 1.

yeah, but I assume that there is going to be A LOT of applications transmitted on June 30th and I assume they will be transmitted and than looked upon in order in which their were filled. I am right in my assumptions and is there enough apps at that point to make a difference?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I am a bit confused about the idea of listing work hours that have not happened yet. For instance, I started a full-time clinical job on May 15, and therefore only have 80 hours under my belt right now, which will rise to about 220 by the time my application is sent to schools on 6/30. Should I put down 80 hours, 220 hours, or a much higher number which includes 40 hours/week for the next year?

Thank you.

yeah, but I assume that there is going to be A LOT of applications transmitted on June 30th and I assume they will be transmitted and than looked upon in order in which their were filled. I am right in my assumptions and is there enough apps at that point to make a difference?

Thank you!

I would also like to know the answer to this

Thank you!

I would also like to know the answer to this

bump @gonnif

Is the goal to have the application verified before the day of transmission (30th) so you're part of the first wave, or is the goal to be as far up the order as possible (ie being first verified is better than being the 20th verified)

--The order in which applications are transmitted in unlikely sent in order of verification
--There is a "daily file dump" which is just added to on the previous days before initial transmission
--This is likely resorted and ordered prior to transmission
--The order in which applications are received by individual schools in not related to order of verification
--Each school's intake software may have different method or sequence of how applications are received/files from AMCAS
--The order in which applications are screened, filed and processed is not related to the order of verification
--The order in which applications are fully evaluated are only partially related to when school receives them
--The order in which applications are reviewed by adcoms has multiple factors and may not be done primarily in chronological order

Getting primary in on time does matter because of all the other items that follow it. But applicants often see the beginning and not understanding how it flows from there. Additionally, how each school then opens a file, reviews them on GPA, MCAT, and other factors, and what order they wind up in a queue has less to do with when the primary arrives then when the secondary is completed and received. Since the majority of schools, I dare say, send out pre-transmission, unscreened, or minimal cut off screened secondaries, this is probably a larger factor in where you wind up in the queue for 1) reading an application and 2) decision on interview invite. As I have said previously, and will undoubtedly say dozens of time during this 2018 application cycle review of apps is not simply done in a linear chronological order. High achievers, URM, family of alumni, feeder schools, associated UG programs, linked postbaccs, and other factors may push an app forward in the process.

Ok thanks! Just making sure I'm understanding the process correctly, the general wisdom here to submit asap (as close to June 1/first day as possible) is to ensure that your app is verified before the transmission day so everything else that follows can happen as soon as possible?