AMCAS "Disadvantaged" -- used for financial aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlwebb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the disadvantaged check box on the AMCAS application used to help determine potential scholarship or financial aid at a given school? I don't want to check the box, but I don't want it to come back on me if I would otherwise qualify for certain aid. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

rlwebb said:
Is the disadvantaged check box on the AMCAS application used to help determine potential scholarship or financial aid at a given school? I don't want to check the box, but I don't want it to come back on me if I would otherwise qualify for certain aid. Thanks.

The financial information from the FAFSA is used to determine need-based scholarships. If someone claims to be "disadvantaged" and had gross taxable income (and yes, this does include your parents) of $130,000.00, then you aren't quite as "disadvantaged" as you might believe you are. Conversely, if your taxable income (combined with your parents) is $60,000.00, then you could be considered for need-based scholarships, since you'd have some financial "need" after your "family contribution" was applied to your student budget.

I would contact the schools individually and ask what information they need. Every school is different.

rlwebb said:

Do not confuse the disadvantaged check box on the AMCAS with FAFSA. You will look like +pity+ unless you really did grow up in a disadvantaged household.