AMCAS Error

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pokeyreese

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes you should notify schools of the error. It'll come up in the background check they'll do when you matriculate into medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
did the same thing. i put oct 2007 instead of oct 2008 for one of my start dates so it looks like i was working full time during my last year of college. definitely need to send out some emails like right now

Yes you should notify schools of the error. It'll come up in the background check they'll do when you matriculate into medical school.

No. That background check is only to see if you have a criminal record.

I do agree, though, that you should notify the schools. Just send a brief email saying something like, "It has come to my attention that I made an error in the activities and honors section of my AMCAS application. I listed the wrong dates for XX activity. The AMCAS application gives the dates as 1/09-6/10, but the actual dates were 1/09-6/09. I apologize for any confusion this has caused. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me."

It's a pretty understandable mistake, since you just got the year wrong, and they shouldn't get upset about it, especially if you inform them right away.

Background checks are just criminal activity, and there is that supposed "college" program where they can see where you have taken college courses.

But they aren't the FBI - they don't actually track every volunteer activity you've ever completed.

And some schools don't even do the background checks. Several of my classmates have had to pay for their own to do away rotations because our schools didn't.

Anyway - to the OP send out some emails. And when you apply to residency, do a better job of double checking your application.

Realistically they would probably never find out you made the mistake. Very few schools actually call to check up on activities. But you should let them know for honesty's sake.

I just wanted to say that Pokey Reese is awesome. Especially w/ the Reds in 1999. So, I like your name :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for your advice. Do you think it will affect my application negatively to email the schools and alert them of the error? If so, how much?

Thanks again!

It actually helps because 1 - it shows you are honest 2 - It shows you are interested in the school... both of which they like... in fact I'm just gonna make up a random mistake so I have a reason to email them

Background checks are just criminal activity, and there is that supposed "college" program where they can see where you have taken college courses.

But they aren't the FBI - they don't actually track every volunteer activity you've ever completed.

And some schools don't even do the background checks. Several of my classmates have had to pay for their own to do away rotations because our schools didn't.

Anyway - to the OP send out some emails. And when you apply to residency, do a better job of double checking your application.

Realistically they would probably never find out you made the mistake. Very few schools actually call to check up on activities. But you should let them know for honesty's sake.

I think it was sarcasm..

Thanks everyone for your advice. Do you think it will affect my application negatively to email the schools and alert them of the error? If so, how much?

Thanks again!

I think what matters most is that you notify the schools quickly and in a businesslike manner about your mistake. If you handle it that way, they're less likely to see you as a screw-up. On the other hand, if you don't take care of it right away, you run the risk of looking like a liar if they find out on their own.

Just do it, get it over with and move on. NBD.