AMCAS evaluation of foreign transcripts? \

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Genefreak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a transfer international student here in the US. I started college last year and will graduate in 2012. However before I started school here, I went to the CC in my native country and i took some for the required courses there.
I contacted the schools with MD/PhD programs that accept Int'l students, half of the schools said that all the required courses must be taken @ a US school,
while the other half just required that I complete 90 credit @ a US school.

My questions is, Should I retake?
If I retake, do I have to include the grades from my CC?
And if I have to include those grades from my CC on AMCAS application, what is their policy with regard to courses/grades from a non US institution.
Also if I were to retake these course how would it be viewed, in terms 'taking the same thing twice'

Please give some advice.

Thanks

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

bump.....can anyone shed some light on this situation.??

1) My questions is, Should I retake?

2) If I retake, do I have to include the grades from my CC?

3) And if I have to include those grades from my CC on AMCAS application, what is their policy with regard to courses/grades from a non US institution.

4)Also if I were to retake these course how would it be viewed, in terms 'taking the same thing twice'
I do not have personal experience in this area, but this is my impression from what I've read in posts from those that do (generally in the NonTrad Forum, where you can Search for more information):

1) Yes, you should retake to have the best possible chance of having an extraordinarily high MCAT score, which as an international applicant is imperative to be competitive. Besides there aren't that many schools taking internationals and you'll want to be a viable candidate at as many as possible.

2) My understanding is that you'll have to send a foreign transcript evaluation to each med school for your CC credits, even if you have transferred those credits to a US institution (which usually award credit, but don't transfer the grade). Maybe there will be a few exceptions (I'm unaware of any), but you'll want to appeal to the majority of schools.

3) AMCAS doesn't accept foreign transcripts, but you'll still need to enter the grades and ask for a transcript exemption from AMCAS.

4) I don't see that you have a choice, and if your GPA wasn't that high at the CC, this gives you a chance to reverse the impression your transcript evaluation will give, so that's in your best interests.

If you discover information that varies from the above, I'd appreciate it if you come back and post it.

Thanks for providing me with some answers and I will let you know if I find anything otherwise.