AMCAS - Experience Description-Briefly describe this experience in 510 characters ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

driven

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this supposed to be a brief para like resumes, with no subject, starting with verb, etc. Or is it supposed to be in first person, talking about a specific incident during that experience? Please advise

Members don't see this ad.

It's open. I always went by Less is More theory. Just write a couple sentences on each one. Half the time it was pulled directly from my personal statement.

I'm actually the exact opposite. Some things, like chess club, I agree with the less is more. But other things, like research, realize that this is the only way some schools will find out about your research. Most of them don't ask about it in secondaries. So I would actually err towards the over informationside.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also added a sentence at the end of each one saying what I learned from the experience or how it will aid in my future as a doc. :) I say fill up as much space as you can if the experience is relevant....510 characters is very little. This might be your only chance to let them know about it.

Thanks guys. Now what is typically expected in this section ?

Volunteer Exp?
Research?
Work?

Thanks in advance :confused:

All of the above -- I included all of my work experince, volunteering, health exposure, extracurriculars, etc because you never know what the adcom is looking for. If you tell them everything, it is more likely that they will find something that they like.

I did not want to put any non-medical and non-researchjobs. Who care where I flipped the burgers?

Two words to keep in mind: RELEVANT and CONCISE

Keep these two in mind as you do your secondary experiences. It's precisely these two reasons why they limited it to 15. Too many people were putting every podunk little thing they did since they were conceived.

Kindof an old thread, but I was wondering about whether or not to use the 1st person in the Experience Description. Anyone know what the preferred practice is?

Epic bump! Some of these people are 2nd year residents by now! :laugh:

Epic bump! Some of these people are 2nd year residents by now! :laugh:

Haha good one... I'm not putting playing in a band, mobile DJing (probably 100 gigs), and working at Best Buy... I've got better work experience on there... but maybe I should put some of those artistic endeavors?

Kindof an old thread, but I was wondering about whether or not to use the 1st person in the Experience Description. Anyone know what the preferred practice is?

And... I didn't do 1st person... just described the job w/o using "I"

just realize that for a good number of schools who don't have secondaries, this is your chance to impress them

This thread must be really old, if the limit for activities was 510 char. Now they give you about 1300 char. for each activity. (I didn't come close to using it all for most of them, but for a couple of really major activities I did go to the limit.)

if 7 years ago they asked for 510 characters and now they ask for 1300