AMCAS: experience name for similar experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaoChengRen

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I have three activities that involve volunteering at food distributions with food banks and at food pantries. One of these events is going to be a "most meaningful" activity, so I don't want to combine all three under one experience. In total, the three add up to about 150 hours, with 80/50/20.

How do you guys think I should list the "Experience Name" for each? I don't think writing "Food Pantry Volunteer" three times would be ideal. I thought about being more specific for each title, but I've read elsewhere on SDN not to mention the organization name in the experience name section because it's redundant. Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand the value of listing the same experience at three different organizations three separate times, especially when the total hours are so small. Why can't a MME take place at three different locations? If you are just doing this to fill out activity slots, it's really not going to matter what you call them. The reader is going to understand they are the same activity, no matter what you call them.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone!

I have three activities that involve volunteering at food distributions with food banks and at food pantries. One of these events is going to be a "most meaningful" activity, so I don't want to combine all three under one experience. In total, the three add up to about 150 hours, with 80/50/20.

How do you guys think I should list the "Experience Name" for each? I don't think writing "Food Pantry Volunteer" three times would be ideal. I thought about being more specific for each title, but I've read elsewhere on SDN not to mention the organization name in the experience name section because it's redundant. Any advice would be appreciated!
Consider, at least, grouping the 50 and 20 hour experiences.
I do think you should have a difference in each title so readers won’t get confused, perhaps Food Pantry #1 Volunteer, Food Panty #2 Volunteer Or name them by city. Or time of year (if different). Or add the word Miscellaneous, Short-Term, or Hometown to the name of the space. Etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Great, thanks y'all! I read elsewhere that grouping other activities with a MME may not be the best idea, so that's the only reason I didn't immediately just group them all together. But if that's not a common opinion and it's totally okay, I think I will end up grouping them all. I'm definitely not trying to take up unnecessary space.