AMCAS Financial Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adriaran

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok this was muy estupido, but in the process of filling out secondaries I realized that when I filled out the "percent financial contributions to my education" on AMCAS, I calculated it out of the cost of my tuition only instead of total educational expenses :sour: (must have forgotten my brain in bed that morning). Most of my tuition was paid by academic scholarship, so it overestimates the % from scholarship, and underestimates the % from my own employment. Makes it look like I had scholarship money out the wazoo--75% of my tuition was paid for by scholarship, but it's really more like 30% of total educational expenses.

The secondary I am currently filling out asks for similar information. Should I be consistent with what my AMCAS says just to avoid any question of honesty? The numbers are quite different, so it's definitely noticeable if I put the correct info down.

I imagine that the financial info is mainly used to determine disadvantaged status (of which I am certainly not) and financial aid when that time comes. Do schools frequently ask for such financial info aside from what is contained on your AMCAS? Are there any other potential ramifications of having incorrect information calculated here?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, I don't think that section gets used for aid. That's all FAFSA/CSS and based on your family income/savings/assets in addition to your own, not how you paid for undergrad. I think it's just to give admissions a rough picture of your situation - were you on need aid? merit aid? family paid for it?

I'd probably use the correct values on the secondary. If you get asked about the discrepancy, explain that at the time you filled out the primary, you misunderstood and thought education expenses referred to tuition.

Are we talking about the same AMCAS section?
This is the section I'm referring to:
upload_2017-7-4_14-59-20.png

My assumption, and please correct me if I'm wrong, was that the information is useful for schools understanding your undergraduate financial background, but won't really affect future aid.

Reactions: 1 user