AMCAS GPA Calculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sng33

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My AMCAS app. used a GPA calculation with B+ and C+ as a 3.3 and 2.3 respectivly. But my school uses it as a 3.5 and 2.5. Did anyone have this problem, and know how to change it?

Members don't see this ad.

You can't change it. AMCAS has just removed your school's grade inflation. Your GPA will now be comparable to everybody else's. Sorry dude, that's how it works.

I don't think it does, since other schools have a chance to get an A- and I did not. At schools with a A+, A, A-, B+ it works but it would be ludicrous for them to use this as a universal scale since not everyone had a chance to get an A-.

Members don't see this ad :)
standardizing everyone's gpa to AMCAS's own scale is the only way that med schools can compare gpa's from one school to another. as your post illustrates, every school calculates gpa's differently. perhaps your school didn't hand out A-'s, but plenty of schools don't offer B+'s either, only straight A, B, C grades, so your gpa will still be boosted in comparison to these schools by virtue of having a higher B grade to factor into your AMCAS gpa.

I would try to contact AMCAS about this one. (I know - easier said than done.)

At my undergrad school, the grading was A, AB, B, BC, etc. where an AB was a 3.5. Amcas treated it as a 3.5 as well when it did it's calculation. You shouldn't be penalized because your school uses the symbol "B+" instead of "AB" to mean a grade of "3.5". On the other hand, my senior year, they switched to an A-, B+ system where an A- was a 3.67 and a B+ a 3.33. AMCAS did convert these grades to 3.7 and 3.3.

Another question - when you select your school, does the AMCAS application automatically set-up the grade conversion? For 2 of the schools that I've been to, the grade conversion is not set up and I had to choose the conversion that is appropriate. Maybe your school is set up incorrectly. I would ask your pre-med advisor. There are probably other students at your school having similar difficulties.
:p