AMCAS GPA calculator question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jadealer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else suffer a lowered BCMP GPA because of how AMCAS defines science subjects? I was a double major in animal science and biotechnology. The majority of my animal science classes, which were extensively involved with anatomy and physiology but had "animal" in the title, were lumped into natural science courses, which made my sGPA look horrible. Some of these classes included, Animal Reproduction (where I learned the anatomy of multiple species reproduction systems as well as extensive endocrinology for reproduction), my research in Animal science (which involved mostly genetic research and tissue culture), and several nutrition classes were I learned extensive gastro-intestinial anatomy plus absorption of nutrition, etc. I had an Nonscience GPA of 3.9 and a sGPA of 3.67 for an average culmulative of 3.8. Do you think I should briefly address these issues in my personal statement in the future when I reapply? I don't particularly want to have to retake "biology" courses as defined by AMCAS just to raise my sGPA, especially because I already did 175.5 credits of undergraduate work. I find it really annoying because the animal science major at my undergraduate had tougher requirements than the general biology major (i.e. I had to take 8 credits of biochemisty + lab while gen bio had 3 credits without any lab, etc.) and AMCAS totally makes my major seem like a joke.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else suffer a lowered BCMP GPA because of how AMCAS defines science subjects? I was a double major in animal science and biotechnology. The majority of my animal science classes, which were extensively involved with anatomy and physiology but had "animal" in the title, were lumped into natural science courses, which made my sGPA look horrible. Some of these classes included, Animal Reproduction (where I learned the anatomy of multiple species reproduction systems as well as extensive endocrinology for reproduction), my research in Animal science (which involved mostly genetic research and tissue culture), and several nutrition classes were I learned extensive gastro-intestinial anatomy plus absorption of nutrition, etc. I had an Nonscience GPA of 3.9 and a sGPA of 3.67 for an average culmulative of 3.8. Do you think I should briefly address these issues in my personal statement in the future when I reapply? I don't particularly want to have to retake "biology" courses as defined by AMCAS just to raise my sGPA, especially because I already did 175.5 credits of undergraduate work. I find it really annoying because the animal science major at my undergraduate had tougher requirements than the general biology major (i.e. I had to take 8 credits of biochemisty + lab while gen bio had 3 credits without any lab, etc.) and AMCAS totally makes my major seem like a joke.

Call AMCAS. They have way, way too much power.