This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordij94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm finishing up the work/experience section and I have a few questions:

1. Is it better to group different hobbies? I still have a few entries left and wanted to add my hobbies, which include playing guitar/piano/sax/bass, backpacking, snowboarding, and playing IM basketball. They are quite different and I spend a significant amount of time in music and basketball. (I already have an entry for an alt rock band I've recorded with as an artistic endeavor, but it doesn't include all of my instruments and the hours don't include the time I spend playing on my own-- is it okay to list musician as an additional hobby entry?)

2. Is it common to max out the 700 characters? Most of my entries have like half description and half what I learned, taking up all 700 char. Would it be better to write more concise descriptions and omit certain details?

3. Are activities with ~30-40 hours not worth including? I volunteered at an adult day care for 20 hours and gathered data at the LA zoo for ~40 hours. Would the minimal hours be seen as "fluff"/be detrimental to my application?

4. How to list a tutoring/non-clin volunteer/leadership position? I've been in a tutoring club for 4 years and for the last 3 years I've been VP. I only have 30 non clinical volunteering hours and about 500 tutoring/non-clin volunteering hours from this club. How would you break up and classify this single activity (leadership vs volunteer vs tutoring)?
1) Yes, group your hobbies. If you don't want to mention your "other instruments" in your rock band description, maybe downplay it from "musician" to "other musical interests" so it sounds like a hobby.

2) You have to decide where more succinctness would serve you better. Don't blather on to fill a space. Don't bore your audience. Stop when you've said what's necessary.

3) Consider grouping those short-term volunteer experiences into one space under Volunteer - Not Medical/Clinical. (You may be thinking adult daycare is clinical but a lot of adcomms won't.)

4) What are the 30 hours you mention? And if you separate out the leadership and the actual tutoring, how many hours would belong to each by your best guess-timate? What is a VP's role (and what I mean is, can you spin it to sound leaderish, rather than attending meetings and voting)?

The 30 hours refers to the adult daycare experience. Separated it'd be 200 hours VP / 300 hours tutoring throughout all 4 years. The VP's role was organizing fundraisers, managing recruitment, and leading field trips to local college campuses for the students. I already have a leadership role as a paid student supervisor (~1500 hours) so would it be better to list the VP position as community service and the general member position as tutoring/mentoring? Also when separating them would I list tutoring as 2014-2018 and VP 2015-2018 since I continued tutoring throughout my time as VP? Or tutoring 2014 only and VP 2015-2018?
There's no one right way to do things, but I think VP would do best in its own Leadership space with its own dates (2015-18) and hours and the tutoring should be in a Volunteer- Not Medical/Clinical space (2014-18), since you're light in that area. You can mention Tutoring in both titles you give the activities so the teaching aspect won't be missed.

Reactions: 1 users