AMCAS is available

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
we are still waiting for our mcat scores (april mcaters)...so it will be a while before I start applying

So if I start doing it I can always come back right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellas remember that applying early will enhance your chances of getting in. Let's start filling the damn application and discuss it here :D

You cannot submit until June 1. At least that is the way it used to be unless they changed it from last year, and the year before. You can fill out your AMCAS or AACOMAS application and save your progress and come back to it as often as you like. Both application services require to you to create a username and a password for your protection.

GO AHEAD AND SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION JUNE 1, EVEN IF YOU DONT HAVE YOUR APRIL MCATS. You would be surprised what 3 weeks can mean in the application cycle.

Some more advice. I would go ahead and print of the transcript request forms from both that AMCAS and AACOMAS application and request your transcripts be sent. Intructions are in the application packet online. BE SURE THAT YOU ATTACH THE REQUEST FORM TO THE PAPERWORK YOU FILL OUT IN YOUR SCHOOLS REGISTRAR AND TELL THEM TO ATTACH THE FORM YOUR YOUR OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS.

It would be very, very wise to go ahead and have your professors start composing your LORs. They have to submit these directly to the schools in which you are applying. By the time you hunt them down, wait about 2 months, and get them in, it will be interview time.

If you have shadowed a physician, request a LOR from them. Call their office once a week to remind them if you have to, because they are busy and will forget sometimes. Please submit your application on the first available day that you can. It greatly increases your chances. On the application, is asks both for your previous mcat scores and the dates that you took the last attempt. They will probably place your application on hold until your MCATS are submitted, but that is normal. It gets your name inthe application cycle very early.

I wish you all good luck in your applications. I am sure that you all did very well on your MCATs. If you ever need any advice during the application, feel free to PM with questions. Take care

Aaron

I got SO FAR on my AMCAS today. I filled out my name, SSN, and birthday. :thumbup: Hahaha. :laugh:

does anyone know if it's possible to print out a blank form of the application?
i really would prefer to work on the paper application first, correct it, and then type the corrected info. when the time is right :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the earliest date you could submit last year was June 5th. I'm not 100% sure though. I submitted it in June 6th. But they won't process it until late June or something like that.

I'm applying next year, but I have a question for you guys. I'm on quarters so I won't finish finals til ~June 10th and won't get my grades til ~June 15th. I guess I don't even know how aamcas/aacomas works really so bear with me....but would I submit my online application on June 1st, or 5th or whenever the earliest date is and then the transcripts would just get there when they get there ~June 20th? In that case, the difference between them being there June 5th and the 20th isnt huge is it?

bella_dottoressa said:
I'm applying next year, but I have a question for you guys. I'm on quarters so I won't finish finals til ~June 10th and won't get my grades til ~June 15th. I guess I don't even know how aamcas/aacomas works really so bear with me....but would I submit my online application on June 1st, or 5th or whenever the earliest date is and then the transcripts would just get there when they get there ~June 20th? In that case, the difference between them being there June 5th and the 20th isnt huge is it?

Nope. Like I said, the processing date is like late June (don't remember exact dates) so it doesn't matter if you submit anytime before the processing date. Just make sure to submit everything before your MCAT score comes out. (Or if you would like to see your score first, it's ok to submit at that time) :)

UCLAstudent said:
I got SO FAR on my AMCAS today. I filled out my name, SSN, and birthday. :thumbup: Hahaha. :laugh:

hey!!! slow down there turbo, it's best to pace yourself

Hey all~
I just finished the biographical info section and was reading about the transcript part and what's the deal with the form, it's not highlighted in my application so I can't print it out so do I have to do all the steps in order for them to "light up" appropriately?

kiahs said:
Hey all~
I just finished the biographical info section and was reading about the transcript part and what's the deal with the form, it's not highlighted in my application so I can't print it out so do I have to do all the steps in order for them to "light up" appropriately?

You have to fill out the schools attended part also, then itll let you access the transcript part.

premyo2002 said:
hey!!! slow down there turbo, it's best to pace yourself

You're right. I only wanted to fill out the SSN, but it wouldn't let me save and I had to rush to get my birthday on there! :laugh:

On the EC section, what is the max characters you may write (including spaces) on aamcas and the instruction book, it says 510 (nothing about spaces), on the worksheet it says 1,385 (including spaces)... has anyone done it yet??

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but please enlighten me:
does the application specifiy how long the Personal Statment must be (in terms of pages? and/or typed characters?)

Also, with respect to the P.S., will the indentations used in each paragraph remain indentations when the essay is submitted in June? Or will all of my paragraphs turn into one large paragraph, with no indentations?

docjolly said:
does the application specifiy how long the Personal Statment must be (in terms of pages? and/or typed characters?)

5300 characters, including spaces and carriage returns. I don't know the answer to your second question, and am curious myself. When you go to the print option in AMCAS, the resulting print eliminates the line breaks and makes it all one long paragraph. What the schools receive, I don't know.

liverotcod said:
5300 characters, including spaces and carriage returns. I don't know the answer to your second question, and am curious myself. When you go to the print option in AMCAS, the resulting print eliminates the line breaks and makes it all one long paragraph. What the schools receive, I don't know.

:clap:
Thank you, liverotcod!!

docjolly said:
I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but please enlighten me:

Also, with respect to the P.S., will the indentations used in each paragraph remain indentations when the essay is submitted in June? Or will all of my paragraphs turn into one large paragraph, with no indentations?

I copied my essay in to the app just so I could see if it was within spec. However, I lost the indentations and wasn't able to get them back. I just went ahead and seperated each paragraph by a seperate line which is fine with me because it only costs you 2 spaces.

AMCAS sucks.

Adrian

On the EC section, how are you explaining each experience?
Im not sure if I should go with bullets or a paragraph?

premyo2002 said:
On the EC section, how are you explaining each experience?
Im not sure if I should go with bullets or a paragraph?

I've been doing it in a paragraph.

And what kinds of things are ya'll writing in your EC sections? Like, what the organization does? Your role? Etc. I'm not quite sure what they are looking for. :confused:

So has anyone else run into bugs in the AMCAS application site? I've had
other people's sections magically appear in my application, as well as sections
of my own application disappear. I've been real careful to always save my changes, so I don't think it's my fault. Has anyone else had problems like these???

nipandtuck said:
So has anyone else run into bugs in the AMCAS application site? I've had other people's sections magically appear in my application...

No, this hasn't happened to me, but if anyone want to swap freshman and sophomore years with me, I would be glad to.

Wahooali said:
And what kinds of things are ya'll writing in your EC sections? Like, what the organization does? Your role? Etc. I'm not quite sure what they are looking for. :confused:

I've been writing my role mostly stuff like this:

Science Tutor
CSULB Student Access to Science center
Dates: 5-01-04- present
Hours: 10
(562) 555-5555

Currently, I tutor students in both general and advanced science courses in the student access to science center at CSULB. The general subjects I tutor are General Chemistry, Physics, and Biology. Whereas, the advanced courses that I tutor are Molecular cell biology, Genetics, Organic Chemistry, and the MCAT. I have also tutored a variety of people out of a structured program. The subjects have been high school algebra, and chemistry. This has given me the opportunity to help motivated students.

Wahooali said:

Hey Wahooali,

I put mine in paragraph format. If you would like a copy of the one I used last year, the EC segment, just let me know. I have it on my computer.

Aaron

EVERYONE,

BE SURE THAT YOU SAVE YOUR PROGRESS AFTER EACH PAGE YOU ENTER IF IT DOES NOT DO IT AUTOMATICALLY. YOU MAY WANT TO SAVE AFTER YOU ENTER SEVERAL OF THE CLASSES FROM YOUR TRANSCRIPTS. I THINK THAT IT NOW SAVES IT AFTER EACH CLASS YOU ENTER, JUST MAKE SURE!

Aaron

Please excuse my ignorance, here's my question. I took the MCAT last month, but will not complete all of my prerequistes until the end of the coming fall semester. Can I still apply for the 2005 entering class? (I already have a degree, I'm just finishing up the prerequistes.) ;;)

GBFKicks, once you have all your info (grades, MCATs, etc.), the whole thing takes no more than a day or two.

nabeya, yea, i'm pretty sure you can still apply. i think you just have to have the pre-reqs done beofre you *enter* med school.

Hi,
Let me recap my previous and present scenario. I had a 3.68 GPA last year, an MCAT score of 25, volunteering as physical therapist for a year, volunteer as a research asstt for a year, paid research position of undergraduate lab tech for a year, volunteer tutoring for the summer and paid volunteering in Biology, Chemistry, Organic chem and physics. I applied very late for the AMCAS, actually one day before the deadline and I applied very late for AACOMAS as well. I was just not very motivated last year because I was not sure if I should go ahead with medicine. However, as I started getting rejections naturally from all the schools, I realized that I was just being lazy and I had always wanted to be a doctor all my life. I am very motivated now, have to still hear from UMDNJ-SOM but I want to reapply and do all the rights things this time.
I am just frustrated that AMCAS is available now because I was thinking of doing some more research and possibly publishing my work and gain some clinical experience since I have none. I am planning to take my MCAT in August again. So should I still submit my app on June 1 without having to add anything in my ECs? I know that I was at a great disadvantage because I applied so late in the process. I just graduated now and my GPA now is 3.717. So please tell me how should I go about it. Any help from you will be appreciated.
Thanks

Double return (i.e., a line break between paragraphs) results in a separation of paragraphs on the AMCAS.

Jason

liverotcod said: