AMCAS List for Selection of Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted987875

I was wondering if anyone could offer any insight into my medical school selection list for AMCAS? My GPA is 3.72 and my first MCAT score is a 501. I retook the MCAT a week ago at the end of July and have to wait a month until I get my score back- I am really hoping that I scored in the 505-510 range.

Here is my current list of medical schools:
Howard, Meharry, Morehouse, Drew, Wright State, Ohio State, Cincinnati, Case Western, Northeast Ohio, Toledo, Louisville, Boston, Florida State, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, USC Greenville, Tulane, South Alabama

Should I take any of these schools off or add any schools? I live in Ohio, so that is why I have a lot of Ohio schools and I am a member of an underrepresented minority group

I also have the MSAR but I’m not quite show how to utilize it correctly...

Members don't see this ad.

Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic are you fluent in Spanish ? Do You have any physician shadowing or clinical volunteering/employment hours with patient contact ?

FSU has an extreme in-state bias fyi.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic are you fluent in Spanish ? Do You have any physician shadowing or clinical volunteering/employment hours with patient contact ?

I am African-American. I do have shadowing, clinical volunteering, and have worked a clinical job as a medical assistant with direct patient contact

Some of the schools on your list admit very few non residents with no connection to the state (Florida State admitted only 4 non residents last year). I suggest these schools with your stats:
Toledo
Wright State
NEOMED
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Indiana
West Virginia
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Miami
NOVA MD
George Washington
Pittsburgh
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
If you score 508+ on your 2nd MCAT you could add more schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Some of the schools on your list admit very few non residents with no connection to the state (Florida State admitted only 4 non residents last year). I suggest these schools with your stats:
Toledo
Wright State
NEOMED
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Indiana
West Virginia
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Miami
NOVA MD
George Washington
Pittsburgh
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Thank you for your response! I added George Washington to my list and I will look more at some of the other schools

I thought schools like Temple, New York Medical, Drexel, Pittsburgh, Loyola, and St. Louis would be reach schools for me based on looking at the MSAR since my school is even below the 10th percentile for some of them..

Thank you for your response! I added George Washington to my list and I will look more at some of the other schools

I thought schools like Temple, New York Medical, Drexel, Pittsburgh, Loyola, and St. Louis would be reach schools for me based on looking at the MSAR since my school is even below the 10th percentile for some of them..
They are not reaches with your URM status and your stats. Most of those cities have large African American patient populations.

They are not reaches with your URM status and your stats. Most of those cities have large African American patient populations.

I submitted my primary application last night and these are the schools on my list (there are 17):

Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Wright State
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case Western (free tuition at Cleveland Clinic)
NEOMED
Toledo
Louisville
Florida State
Boston U
George Washington
USC Greenville
South Alabama

Other free tuition schools:
Kaiser Permanente

I think the schools that will be very competitive for me regardless of my status as an African American and living in Ohio are Case Western, Ohio State, Cincinnati, Boston U, and Kaiser Permanente

Hello!

I was wondering if you think I should apply to New York Medical College?

I got my second MCAT score back in late August and it decreased to a 495. My first MCAT score was a 501.. So in many of my applications I mention that while my score decreased, it has taught me to not let disappointment hold me back. I also reflected on my preparation for both times I took the exams and what I learned from the experience

Toledo
Wright State
NEOMED
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Indiana
West Virginia
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Miami
NOVA MD
George Washington
Pittsburgh
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac

I was also thinking of applying to New York Medical College, Miami, Temple, and Seton Hall

I hope it’s not too late to apply to these schools… what do you think?

I was also thinking of applying to New York Medical College, Miami, Temple, and Seton Hall

You will need to check with each school to see what their deadline is for applications.

Consider applying to DO schools with all apps submitted by the end of November.

Hi so I have gotten 5 interviews so far:

Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Northeast Ohio Medical University
Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences

I was accepted into Ohio University, Wright State Boonshoft, and George Washington. My top two choices are Wright State and George Washington. I have started working on a pros and cons list for both schools. Any suggestions/thoughts on what anyone thinks of these two schools?

Reactions: 1 user