AMCAS--numerous labs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bumbl3b33

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Over the course of the past 4 years, I have worked in 4-5 very different labs (I was trying to see if I liked any kind of research). So my question is: for AMCAS, should I just write down "research" and then in description talk about the different labs and what I did in them?

I already have all 15 slots filled for EC's with substantial things, and 2 of those are 2 research labs that I did considerable work in--I was just not going to talk about the other labs, I guess. Now i'm wondering if I should consoldate the labs in one entry and talk about all 5 labs in the description and use the other free space to talk about rock climbing/running and weight loss...thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, compile them all into one entry unless you think that one of those experiences is significant enough to mention on their own. For each lab, I would mention who the PI was, a very brief summary of your work, your responsibilities, and any publications, posters, etc. that you were an author on.

Hey dude, weird you replied, I was just reading your MDApps for some reason...out of curiosity....when you were 'bumped' up to full scholarship, how did that happen?

I'm curious because people say you can negotiate a financial aid package but....how does that conversation go? do you say to the person on the phone '' i'd love to go to your school but it's too expensive, and i was wondering if my financial aid could be revised?'' i guess my question is--how do you phrase those questions and how do schools usually respond?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey dude, weird you replied, I was just reading your MDApps for some reason...out of curiosity....when you were 'bumped' up to full scholarship, how did that happen?

I'm curious because people say you can negotiate a financial aid package but....how does that conversation go? do you say to the person on the phone '' i'd love to go to your school but it's too expensive, and i was wondering if my financial aid could be revised?'' i guess my question is--how do you phrase those questions and how do schools usually respond?

It was more or less how you mentioned (with a little bit more circlejerking and tactfulness). However that's something you shouldn't be worried about now - send me a PM in the fall or spring and we can talk more.

Also this doesn't work at all schools. Schools that are stingy with merit-based aid likely won't be too flexible. Schools like Michigan, Pritzker, and others, however, have a culture of being more flexible and you have a better chance at getting a positive result when you ask them. Again, though, not something you should be worrying about at this point.

Er, if you're on the border and applying MD/PhD for some schools, MD regular for others, would it be a better idea to write all four labs (you're in the same position I am) each separately with one most significant, or just lump everything together to save activity space? I'm only on #7 and I'm pretty much done.

If you're applying MD/PhD then you obviously want to emphasize your research experience (though using entries just to take up space is never a good idea). Beyond that I don't know - isn't there a separate essay you have the opportunity to complete that asks about that stuff?

If you're applying MD/PhD then you obviously want to emphasize your research experience (though using entries just to take up space is never a good idea). Beyond that I don't know - isn't there a separate essay you have the opportunity to complete that asks about that stuff?

Yep, there are two extra if you have a publication.