amcas primary language

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm filling out my amcas.
It is asking for a primary language + any additional languages.

Now, my first language is Spanish, I was born and raised in Mexico until 15 yrs of age, but I have come to think of English as my primary language because I am completely fluent (I learned it in school) and that is all I use.
At home we speak mostly Spanish, but that's just at home. If I'm out in social settings/school/work I only use English.
What do I do???

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you can really go wrong, whichever you pick, but you could email AMCAS and ask them. The manual really isn't too helpful on this point -- I can see why you're ambivalent.

[email protected]

i'm curious too... I have the language that I learned first and use at home, and English which I use everywhere else... keep us up to date if you send out the email

Members don't see this ad :)
baylormed said:

Now, my first language is Spanish, I was born and raised in Mexico until 15 yrs of age, but I have come to think of English as my primary language because I am completely fluent (I learned it in school) and that is all I use.
At home we speak mostly Spanish, but that's just at home. If I'm out in social settings/school/work I only use English.
What do I do???

i think when they ask about primary language they usually refer to the language you learned first. i was in the same situation when filling out the amcas, and i put down spanish. hope that helps.

Several questions for Quetzal:

Did you get into medical school?
Did you use English more than Spanish in your life at the point of application?

The question isn't "first language" but "primary language".

I don't want them to think that I can't speak English properly if I put down Spanish as primary. I don't know why but I think it might give me a disadvantage.

baylormed said:
Several questions for Quetzal:

Did you get into medical school?
Did you use English more than Spanish in your life at the point of application?

The question isn't "first language" but "primary language".

I don't want them to think that I can't speak English properly if I put down Spanish as primary. I don't know why but I think it might give me a disadvantage.

i learned english when i came to the states (15y/o), before that i didnt know any english, so that's why i put spanish as primary language. when i was applying (this past cycle) i spoke both languages equally (or maybe english a bit more). i got into all the schools i applied to, most of them top ten (not to brag, but to support a point). if you have any more questions pm me.

baylormed said:

What do I do???

It shouldn't matter either way. You can list English as primary and Spanish as secondary language or vice versa. Knowing both is a good thing and will help if you practice somewhere like Cali, Florida, Texas, etc.

gujuDoc said:
It shouldn't matter either way. You can list English as primary and Spanish as secondary language or vice versa. Knowing both is a good thing and will help if you practice somewhere like Cali, Florida, Texas, etc.

agree

primary language means the one with which you're more fluent. For example, if you were to write a book, would you feel more comfortable using English or Spanish? If Spanish, then that's your primary language.

PomPom said:
primary language means the one with which you're more fluent. For example, if you were to write a book, would you feel more comfortable using English or Spanish? If Spanish, then that's your primary language.

That's exactly the problem. I can use both with the same degree of fluency/speed/good grammar, etc. I am not more fluent in one than on the other.

I would put english primary and spanish secondary, just in case...I would be paranoid about them thinking that I haven't fully mastered english. Even though of course your personal statement is in english, so I guess that shows you know the language. I put english first just in case even though my first languages were spanish and portuguese.