AMCAS problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orion1978

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem with the character count on the AMCAS application? I'm not going to get into details, but the app is truncating the last 5 words of a 5108 character essay. I have some ideas why (perhaps an unrecognized character set, although it is in ASCII unformatted text as they requested). I called AMCAS and asked them what to do; they said my only recourse was to send the full essay to each school. Though the fault is mine, I edited my essay and application throuroughly before I submitted it. So far as I know, it is the only error on the application. Though I freaked out quite a bit, AMCAS said not to worry that they have had computer problems with the new online system and the admissions committees do not make much of it...

Appreciate the help
-Chad

Members don't see this ad.

i think it's just the way ms words has different formatting commands (bold, italics, etc.) that take up more than one character to represent. the solution is to copy/paste your text into notepad, save the *.txt file, then open it again and copy it into amcas. once you've pasted it, delete all the tabs and just press return twice for paragraphs. ignore identation.

i.e.

This is a sentence............................................................

This is another sentence after a double space....................

This is the final paragraph..............................