AMCAS rep angry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yowhatup

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a feeling that an AMCAS rep got really annoyed with me on the phone today. I did not mean to irritate this rep, but the rep seemed pretty angry at me (i guess the rep thought i was either rude or i dont know what) and I am scared the rep will contact admissions office telling them how rude I was (even though I was not).... the rep did get my amcas application log in number so obviously knows who I am

worried.... should i be?.. are they randomly allowed to call admissions office and tell them about how rude this applicant was on the phone.. blah blah blah?

Members don't see this ad.

When I called them they were very rude as well, but I'm not worried about them contacting admissions. These are two separate entities and AMCAS doesn't have time to worry about one applicant.

They're in the position of power here, but they're probably annoyed at having to deal with super nervous/self-entitled premeds. Don't take it personally, take a deep breath, and know it will be all right.

Reasons why they could be annoyed:
They are trying to review thousands of applications as fast as possible but are getting delayed by:
1. premeds calling asking when they'll be verified
2. premeds calling to ask questions that can be answered by the AMCAS guide
3. premeds asking questions just to ask questions because they're trying to analyze every part of the process and can't just leave it alone

Honestly, 99% of the calls they get are probably a waste of time. I would be just as annoyed if I were them.

Maybe if we didn't pester them like crazy the verification process wouldn't take so long...

Members don't see this ad :)
You are going to run across more rude people than you can count in med school and as a doctor. If you worry about things like this you are going to drive yourself nuts. Don't give it another thought.

I got a feeling that an AMCAS rep got really annoyed with me on the phone today. I did not mean to irritate this rep, but the rep seemed pretty angry at me (i guess the rep thought i was either rude or i dont know what) and I am scared the rep will contact admissions office telling them how rude I was (even though I was not).... the rep did get my amcas application log in number so obviously knows who I am

worried.... should i be?.. are they randomly allowed to call admissions office and tell them about how rude this applicant was on the phone.. blah blah blah?

You're gonna get owned by that rep. I'd throw in the towel now.

Good cause for concern. The rep is probably going to purposefully delay your application because he/she was having a bad day. Just one more factor in the randomness that is med school apps. Tough break, better luck next time.

All your base are belong to AMCAS.

Reasons why they could be annoyed:
They are trying to review thousands of applications as fast as possible but are getting delayed by:
1. premeds calling asking when they'll be verified
2. premeds calling to ask questions that can be answered by the AMCAS guide
3. premeds asking questions just to ask questions because they're trying to analyze every part of the process and can't just leave it alone

Honestly, 99% of the calls they get are probably a waste of time. I would be just as annoyed if I were them.

Maybe if we didn't pester them like crazy the verification process wouldn't take so long...

If they are annoyed with their jobs, perhaps that isn't the job for them. They were hired to answer the phone and help premeds with their questions. Answering the phone isn't something they do as a courtesy to applicants, it's simply part of their job. Would you like to know how to stop people from calling and asking when they'll be verified? Verify them faster.

I can't stand people who are rude for no reason.

If they are annoyed with their jobs, perhaps that isn't the job for them. They were hired to answer the phone and help premeds with their questions. Answering the phone isn't something they do as a courtesy to applicants, it's simply part of their job. Would you like to know how to stop people from calling and asking when they'll be verified? Verify them faster.

But if they received less calls each cycle they would not need so many reps answering phones and can have them verifying applications. I would much rather have that person verifying applications then answering the phones to say "not yet, you have to wait 4-6 weeks." or reading the manual to someone who clearly hasn't read it.

Honestly, maybe most questions are forgivable but if you're calling about getting verified and it has not been 4-6 weeks then you're just being obnoxious. There's no excuse for that.

I meet some doctors who are irritated when their patients call them 8x a day to ask questions. Is their jobs not for them? I don't think so. It's perfectly normal for people to be annoyed with their jobs.

I meet some doctors who are irritated when their patients call them 8x a day to ask questions. Is their jobs not for them? I don't think so. It's perfectly normal for people to be annoyed with their jobs.

Yeah but when you work a customer service job, you better be willing to deal with customers.

See, that may be annoying but I understand. There is no such guide to life that explains word for word what to do in every situation that is health-related. We call our doctor because they went to school to learn such things, and we pay them to tell us what we need to know.

The problem here is that people can't be bothered to look into it themselves and would rather have someone else waste their time. A good example is when hundreds of students email a professor to ask simple questions that are right on the syllabus. I actually have professors that refuse to respond to such emails because it is a waste of their time and the student clearly did not read the syllabus. Does this mean that the professor is crappy or that he's not doing his job? I don't think so.

should I be scared... what can this amcas rep do.... are amcas rep's even allowed to call schools telling them how rude a specific applicant is? Would admissions officers care?

should I be scared... what can this amcas rep do.... are amcas rep's even allowed to call schools telling them how rude a specific applicant is? Would admissions officers care?

I doubt they have any clout. I wouldn't worry.

But if they received less calls each cycle they would not need so many reps answering phones and can have them verifying applications. I would much rather have that person verifying applications then answering the phones to say "not yet, you have to wait 4-6 weeks." or reading the manual to someone who clearly hasn't read it.

Honestly, maybe most questions are forgivable but if you're calling about getting verified and it has not been 4-6 weeks then you're just being obnoxious. There's no excuse for that.

Pretty confident Joe Plumber answer the phone is not the same person verifying apps. And even reading their instructions from front to back like I did because I am that anal questions still come up. They get paid to answer questions. That's why they exist. That is all.

Pretty confident Joe Plumber answer the phone is not the same person verifying apps. And even reading their instructions from front to back like I did because I am that anal questions still come up. They get paid to answer questions. That's why they exist. That is all.

They could drag their feet though with the processing. A little passive-aggressive behavior from AMCAS reps wouldn't surprise me.

Unless you insulted their mother, I would not worry at all.

Amcas reps have clout. All they have to do is pick up the phone and make a call to adcom and bam! you got yourself a stick-it on your app talksin about your rudeness.

It puts the rest of your app in a shady light knows what I'm talkin' about?

I would honestly just jump off a bridge.

You can't really assume that. I'm pretty sure it does not take a PhD to verify an application. You do realize that they aren't actually making any decisions and are pretty much just checking each part to make sure you inputed everything correctly and didn't falsify anything. They didn't get a degree in this, they were trained to do this. I'd much rather train more people to verify than to answer questions over the phone but unfortunately with the flood of unnecessary phone calls they receive this will never be the case.

By the way I never said that ALL questions were unwarranted. If you have read the manual form cover to cover and still have a specific question then obviously call them up. I am talking about the people who call to ask when they'll be verified, if nutrition is a BCPM course, or if they have to send transcripts from a school they attend. These are all things that are clearly stated and if these answers cannot be absorbed from the text then I question this person's ability to proceed.