AMCAS "repeated" work/activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oh_Gee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the work/activities part, it asks you if it was repeated. Clicking on the question mark says

"
If you have participated in this work experience or activity more than once, select Yes. You may enter up to three additional date ranges and the total number of hours you completed during each date range."

What exactly does this mean

example: if i worked in different labs, then is that a repeated experience and I enter one entry for research?

If i shadowed multiple physicians or volunteer at different hospitals, do I list each physician or hospital as a separate entry?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have worked in different labs, I would have different experiences for each lab (if you have space for it) because I think that research is something that ADCOMs would like to see explained in depth. If you don’t have enough room for experiences to do that, then you can put it as a repeated experience and make sure you select it as “a most meaningful experience.”

For shadowing I shadowed two different doctors and I put it together in one. For that I think it’s okay to do just one entry. If you volunteered at different hospitals doing the same thing for the most part, I’d put that as one entry also.

On the work/activities part, it asks you if it was repeated. Clicking on the question mark says

"
If you have participated in this work experience or activity more than once, select Yes. You may enter up to three additional date ranges and the total number of hours you completed during each date range."

What exactly does this mean

example: if i worked in different labs, then is that a repeated experience and I enter one entry for research?

If i shadowed multiple physicians or volunteer at different hospitals, do I list each physician or hospital as a separate entry?
Say you volunteered at the same hospital for three summers in a row. All the header information is the same for each summer experience but your participation wasn't continuous. So you can fill in a separate date range for each of the three summers and enter a different Total Hours. The same might apply to sport team involvement, thespian commitments, marathons run, seasonal job with the same company, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have worked in different labs, I would have different experiences for each lab (if you have space for it) because I think that research is something that ADCOMs would like to see explained in depth. If you don’t have enough room for experiences to do that, then you can put it as a repeated experience and make sure you select it as “a most meaningful experience.”

For shadowing I shadowed two different doctors and I put it together in one. For that I think it’s okay to do just one entry. If you volunteered at different hospitals doing the same thing for the most part, I’d put that as one entry also.
I was at 2 labs for short amount of time, like a month i think and I didn't really contribute much. Just picked up experience and got into a long term lab. Should I include those 2 short labs if I didn't really do anything?

Say you volunteered at the same hospital for three summers in a row. All the header information is the same for each summer experience but your participation wasn't continuous. So you can fill in a separate date range for each of the three summers and enter a different Total Hours. The same might apply to sport team involvement, thespian commitments, marathons run, seasonal job with the same company, etc.
If I volunteered at 2 different hospitals but had different duties at each, should I put that my hospital volunteering in the same activity entry?

If I volunteered at 2 different hospitals but had different duties at each, should I put that my hospital volunteering in the same activity entry?
Ideally, they'd both get their own space, as Contact, Organization, and description are different. If pressed, they can be combined, but you'd use a lot of characters giving the header information for the second in the narrative box.

Ideally, they'd both get their own space, as Contact, Organization, and description are different. If pressed, they can be combined, but you'd use a lot of characters giving the header information for the second in the narrative box.
thanks so much for your help!!! I wish they would give us very strict guidelines for this section
are you an adcom?

you should definitely submit this to be posted in the FAQ of the AMCAS: AMCAS 2015-2016 EC Tips thread

Thanks for the suggestion. It's been added to post 3 as the #19 FAQ.
quick question:I was at 2 labs for short amount of time, like a month i think and I didn't really contribute much. Just picked up experience and got into a long term lab. Should I include those 2 short labs if I didn't really do anything?

Sorry about that Catalystic! I am not sure how to delete, so I put these words here instead.

Last edited:
I've worked at a free medical clinic for the past few years during summer, fall, winter, and spring breaks. How should I list this in the repeated activities since it's been repeated more than 4 times?

I've worked at a free medical clinic for the past few years during summer, fall, winter, and spring breaks. How should I list this in the repeated activities since it's been repeated more than 4 times?
Instead of using the Repeated feature, you might consider using the full encompassing date span, but then titling the activity something like, School Break Involvement with Xxxx Free Clinic, then explaining further in the narrative.