AMCAS: Self-identification question. What am I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalStudent2021

Applicant 2020-2021
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i think thats probably what you should do. My friend is 100% hispanic (light skin), and her husband is black (he doesnt like to be called african-american), and their kids look arabic.... i am not even kidding.... they are very pale (skin tone of their mom), but have unusual almond shaped eyes and thick curly (big curls) hair. So, i think you should be fine, - there is such a big variety of looks in people of mixed couples that i doubt they would think it is weird. Unless you are white/blond/blue eyed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Latinos may be of any race. If you believe you are a black person of African origins and you are Hispanic, list both. What is the alternative? Listing "other" and Afro-Latin American just muddies the waters when the school starts counting students by race and ethnicity for reporting purposes.

I don't know what the boxes are under "that race". What the AMCAS looks like from my side is different than what it looks like from the applicant side. What are the choices? Pick the one that best describes you.

Latino is not considered a "race". It is an ethnicty with Latinos being of any race. If you want to identify the type of Hispanic you are, go ahead, that can be helpful. When it comes to the diversity essay that some schools require as part of the secondary, you might also want to write about having been raised in whatever country despite having been born in the USA.

The US Census defines Black or African American as, "A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa." Does that fit with what you understand to be your origins? You should be fine regardless of your coloring.

Reactions: 1 users
The US Census defines Black or African American as, "A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa." Does that fit with what you understand to be your origins? You should be fine regardless of your coloring.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user