AMCAS "Self Identification" Section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LALFL

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So, my mother is Hispanic and my father is white. I have always identified myself as a mix between the two, but the issue is: I look totally and completely white, I don't speak Spanish, and my name doesn't sound Hispanic.

Like I said I consider myself as a member of both racial groups and I also know it will help to put Hispanic on my app.. but I don't want AdComs to think I'm full of crap when they see a white girl walking in for an interview.

What to do :confused:

I'm the same mix as the OP, and I've always been told my professors/friends to put down hispanic, since that is what I am legally on my voter registration or something else. Sucks since i have a swedish last name but I do speak spanish and look more european (than cuban).

Members don't see this ad :)
If someone put down hispanic, as an interviewer I'd expect someone like this:

images

I'm part native american. I don't look native american, don't have a native american name, nor am I native american culturally. If I put down I was native american -- I felt they would see right through it and think I was trying to beat the system. I put down white to prevent any issues.

I'm asian. That section is optional IIRC. Better to leave it blank?

Everytime I see a thread like this I'm usually like UGH. But I recently met someone in your situation although he's not applying to med school. Mexican mom, white dad, looks white, white last name, barely any spanish BUT he's part of the latino group on campus and does a lot of work with them and considers himself latino.
Think about it, white/black mix always equals black so why can't it be the same for latinos? That being said if you look white, act white, and think white--well, you know... tough luck.

if you can't put down multiracial, then leave it blank . You shouldn't have to pick. It will not count against or for you.

lol at your peers. they're sandbagging you.

So, my mother is Hispanic and my father is white. I have always identified myself as a mix between the two, but the issue is: I look totally and completely white, I don't speak Spanish, and my name doesn't sound Hispanic.

Like I said I consider myself as a member of both racial groups and I also know it will help to put Hispanic on my app.. but I don't want AdComs to think I'm full of crap when they see a white girl walking in for an interview.

What to do :confused:

You can put down a mix. I'm pretty sure that's what I put (asian and white).

Dude, hispanic pretty much means of Spanish origin, and if you haven't noticed most people from Spain are white. I'm probably 1/100 hispanic at this point.

Last edited: