AMCAS Self identification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stupidquestions2257

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
On my application, I put down that I am other, and listed two countries, one in north africa and another one slightly southern but still bordering it, in that order, as where I am from. That is completely true, as my family has ties to both areas (one moreso than other, but culturally they are very close anyway).

I am not Black, so I put it under the "other" tab, NOT the african american tab. After reading some posts about how contentious this section is on SDN, I became afraid that some adcoms might view this as deceitful, as if I'm trying to get URM status, which I'm not.

Should I have done something different? I already submitted. If there is a problem, is there something I could do to fix it?

@Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn @gonnif I would really appreciate your insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You don't have to be black to be African. I think an issue occurs when folks try to deceive admins by indicating " African American", when they know it might lead to adcoms thinking they're black, and then giving them the "URM" advantage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Give us some credit. We know the differences.

Apologies. I was just trying to figure if what I put down could be seen the wrong way. I didn't want anyone to think I was trying to deceive them, and it come back to haunt me later on in the cycle.

you're fine. sounds like you were completely honest about your background.
Thank you! I appreciate the insight

Reactions: 1 user