AMCAS Tests Opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shreebee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

This is my first time posting to this site. I've just been a reader until now, but everyone seems to have some really great advice so I wanted to get your opinion on my MCAT situation. I am retaking the MCAT this August. On the Princeton Review practice tests, I've been scoring in the 29-34 range. On AMCAS IV, I scored 10-11 V, 10-11P, and 10-11B. On AMCAS V, I scored 11V, >/= 12P, 11B. But I just took AMCAS VI today and I scored 7V, 9P, 10B. I got frantic at the end of the verbal and didnt finish. I'm really scared because I thought I was prepared to kick ass on the MCAT this time, but after today I'm not so sure. I've been doing verbal everyday because that was my weak area last time. Last August, I got a 8V, 10P, 10B. I'd really love to hear any suggestions/advice anyone has to offer.

Thanks!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I had the same problem with verbal. I'm taking the Kaplan full length exams, and I've increased from a 7 initially to 9/10's and recently I've been getting 10's and 11's....it's a good idea to go over more verbal sections, but if you're practicing wrong, it isn't helpful at all....more importantly, stick with a strategy that works for you and practice that particular strategy over and over again with a variety of different passages. Moreover, I think it would be helpful to get up early in the morning to do the section because that would best simulate actual testing conditions...Just remember to get your timing down because I think getting done with the entire section is most important in VR. Good luck!

Originally posted by shreebee
Hi Everyone!

This is my first time posting to this site. I've just been a reader until now, but everyone seems to have some really great advice so I wanted to get your opinion on my MCAT situation. I am retaking the MCAT this August. On the Princeton Review practice tests, I've been scoring in the 29-34 range. On AMCAS IV, I scored 10-11 V, 10-11P, and 10-11B. On AMCAS V, I scored 11V, >/= 12P, 11B. But I just took AMCAS VI today and I scored 7V, 9P, 10B. I got frantic at the end of the verbal and didnt finish. I'm really scared because I thought I was prepared to kick ass on the MCAT this time, but after today I'm not so sure. I've been doing verbal everyday because that was my weak area last time. Last August, I got a 8V, 10P, 10B. I'd really love to hear any suggestions/advice anyone has to offer.

Thanks!!!!!

I'm by no means an expert but it sounds like you're doing great and you should continue taking those tests! One bad practice does not a bad test score make :)

are all the aamc full lengths good indicators of the real thing or just IV, V,and VI.

and i know what u mean, shreebee, i thought i was going along fine and all of a sudden, i messed up on one of the aamc exams, hopefully it was just a bad day for me....now all i hope is that the 17th isn't another bad day.

from what i've heard, i think aamc III is good to, but aamc I and II are not so good because they are very very old and even have some plant bio on them =D

good luck on the mcat though!